Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Jessie is pretty slick

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
fireExit

Re: Debian Jessie is pretty slick

#16 Post by fireExit »

Bulkley wrote:Miro has been abandoned by Jessie.

Bug #754232

Jagcoxa

#17 Post by Jagcoxa »

Hi

i do not want to be a showstopper :?

I am migrated from fedora 21 to debian 8 yesterday, because fedora started to behave instable. Do not know why, to be honnest. Dell laptop is 2 years old, and the ssd card is 2 month's old.

beside that.....
installation went fine, and took me roughly 30 minutes or so .

There are some things i would like to adress.

Gnome screensaver
Where is the Gnome screensaver after a default installation?

i did not find it and did:
apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra

after that i did:
Now start the xscreensaver configuration tool - from a terminal:

xscreensaver-demo

0 - 1 Debian :?:

Mount Network devices
Executing: mount -t cifs //192.168.1.14/Music /home/debian/QMusic -o guest,noperm
in order to mount the dir Music from the NAS results in nothing but an error

had to install:
apt-get install cifs-utils

0 - 2 Debian :?:

OpenVPN

OpenVPN is by default not enabled / installed, so i had to do
apt-get install openvpn

This did not work, because of a misisng package
therefore i had to install network-manager-openvpn-gnome
and do a : service networking restart

0 - 3 Debian :?:

Gnome subtitles
After the installation of gnome-subtitles, it was not able to load any video file like mkv/mp4
i had to add a debian-multimedia mirror to etc/apt/sources.list
http://deb-multimedia.org/debian-m

After that:
wget http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main ... .2_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i deb-multimedia-keyring_2014.2_all.deb
apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

0 - 4 Debian :?:

From my point of view, the above issues has to be able by default, AFTER a clean installation.
New users / inexperient users want a complete package

Beside that, debian looks good

And guys, this is no offense to debian, only my experience

TeknoBug

#18 Post by TeknoBug »

If you ask me, Debian 8 has been one of the best since Debian 2.2.
Linux user since 1995, Debian user since 1998

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Jagcoxa wrote:New users / inexperient users want a complete package
New/inexperienced users should understand that Debian places user control above convenience.

If you don't like having to configure your system manually to your own tastes, use Ubuntu or Mint instead.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#20 Post by GarryRicketson »

I think so too
YES indeed, I like it, after trying it in a VM, I decided to resize a partition and create a new one, on the real HD, and install for real,
New/inexperienced users should understand that Debian places user control above convenience.
Well not all, of us , this is what I like about it, the installation was VERY "user friendly" and
now that have the basic OS, I can add on to it and configure it exactly the way I want it to be.
I think the debian developers have done a wonderfull job.
It seems quite "complete" to me, everything I need to get started, the rest I can do just the way I want, not some "pre-configured ,complete package" full of junk that I won't even use and don't need.
Imageclick for full size
THANK YOU ! debian developers

vinnywright

#21 Post by vinnywright »

I Just installed it (Debian-8-KDE) Friday-June-5-2015 trying Debian for the first time .I have been and still am using Kubuntu since 2009 and Slackware before that. Currently this box boots Ubuntu-14.04 , Kubuntu-14.04 , Kubuntu-15.04 Debian-8-Jessie-KDE and Netrunner-15 on a btrfs drive.

So far it seams real nice , the installation from a Live-USB stick I made with dd went ok except it froze at trying to format the install partition an did not want to do anything with the swap partition , formating the partition from a terminal and having the installer not try to format it and leaving the swap out of the install worked.

As to all the talk of "O I had to add this or that " or remove this or that ,,,,,,,,,well I find that is all ways the case no mater what distro you try and should be expected ,,,,,, for instance ,, my wireless card needs the iwlwifi-firmware package to work . No big deal just add the contrib and non-free to the sources update the package cache and install it .

as I sead I like it so far and seems to run a bit lighter than Kubuntu as well ,,,,,, perhaps it's a keeper :)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/lakXI ... 93-h896-no

VINNY
system76 Bonox8
i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

monara

#22 Post by monara »

Yes, it is! It is pretty snappy.
I was using Crunchbang Waldorf, but the development stopped with Debian 7. So, I really looked into Waldorf, and created my own Crunchbang Waldorf spin with this snappy Debian 8. Thought I should let others have it too, free, just the same way Debian was given to me. As there is no Crunchbang after Waldorf, I called it Monara and uploaded the 64 bit live DVD to Sourceforge. (If you look for crunchbangmonara, you'd find it there.) Sorry, I couldn't upload a 32 bit yet.

This is all because Debian is excellent and I can find all the info needed. :)

Head_on_a_Stick

#23 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

monara wrote:Yes, it is! It is pretty snappy.
I was using Crunchbang Waldorf, but the development stopped with Debian 7. So, I really looked into Waldorf, and created my own Crunchbang Waldorf spin with this snappy Debian 8. Thought I should let others have it too, free, just the same way Debian was given to me. As there is no Crunchbang after Waldorf, I called it Monara and uploaded the 64 bit live DVD to Sourceforge. (If you look for crunchbangmonara, you'd find it there.) Sorry, I couldn't upload a 32 bit yet.

I think most Debian users will know how to create a #! clone themselves ;)

It is very simple...
deadbang

monara

#24 Post by monara »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
monara wrote:Yes, it is! It is pretty snappy.

I think most Debian users will know how to create a #! clone themselves ;)

It is very simple...
Absolutely!
Openbox is universal.
Last edited by monara on 2015-06-22 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#25 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ IMO the last thing GNU/Linux needs is another pointless "distribution" that amounts to nothing more than themes & icon sets.
deadbang

monara

#26 Post by monara »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:^ IMO the last thing GNU/Linux needs is another pointless "distribution" that amounts to nothing more than themes & icon sets.
Do you mean Crunchbang was only "nothing more than themes & icon sets?"

Head_on_a_Stick

#27 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

monara wrote:Do you mean Crunchbang was only "nothing more than themes & icon sets?"
Well, when it was released the unofficial Debian ISO images (which include the non-free firmware) were not available so it made it much easier for users with hardware that required such firmware to install it.

Also, the multimedia repositories were enabled (for better or worse) and the .pkla configuration files were modified to enbable browsing of attached devices without superuser permissions (again, for better or worse).

Not to mention the newer versions of certain packages in the #! repositories (I did provide an explicit list of these for you in the #! forums).

This is also a debatable "advantage" as these packages did not receive security updates or bug fixes (unlike the wheezy equivalents).

All told, #! did offer more than "just themes" at the time of it's release but, on the whole, these no longer apply.

This is the reason why @corenomial ceased development.

For the record, I switched from #! to Debian wheezy as soon as I figured out how to install the non-free firmware for my wireless card during the installation and have been using pure Debian ever since.

Also for the record, I am not part of the BunsenLabs development team.
deadbang

somebodyelse

#28 Post by somebodyelse »

monara wrote:The guys, who are leeching on Crunchbang cannot get a live CD out.
Er... not really. It is a community group led by a former #! forum mod with Corenominal's current (infrastructure) support. The reason they don't have a live CD yet is because in its conception they were trying to integrate with Debian rather than be a separate entity. The idea was that in the longer term, an Openbox DE similar to CrunchBang could be integrated as an option in Debian.

They are not calling it CrunchBang and are therefore not benefitting from the good name of the former.
They are making it available (alpha) with Debian net install as the first step. This makes the fact that it is just Debian patently clear.

Don't sound like leeches to me.

cpoakes

#29 Post by cpoakes »

somebodyelse wrote:
Er... not really. It is a community group led by a former #! forum mod with Corenominal's current (infrastructure) support. The reason they don't have a live CD yet is because in its conception they were trying to integrate with Debian rather than be a separate entity. The idea was that in the longer term, an Openbox DE similar to CrunchBang could be integrated as an option in Debian.

They are not calling it CrunchBang and are therefore not benefitting from the good name of the former.
They are making it available (alpha) with Debian net install as the first step. This makes the fact that it is just Debian patently clear.

@somebodyelse: The reason BunsenLabs (the CB derivative under discussion) doesn't have an ISO is that there is NO release yet. As pointed out, the current netinst based installation is an alpha test. Eventually there will be a website, a repository (for the BL debs), and ISOs. The hope/goal is for BL to become an official Debian Blend, but that won't prevent the creation of ISOs. Other Debian Blends release their own ISOs.

@monara: Overlooking the snark, I read frustration with the slow pace creating a BL ISO. For better or worse, the devs are taking the "it'll be done when it's done" mantra to heart. Furthermore, they are solely focused on creating the product. There is no parallel development of a funding mechanism, selection of a hosting service, creation of a repository, or a native web site; that will be addressed after the product development is complete. More like turtles than leeches. So a simple way to download and test a BunsenLabs Live ISO is still a long way down the road; I understand the frustration.

monara

#30 Post by monara »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
monara wrote:Do you mean Crunchbang was only "nothing more than themes & icon sets?"
Well, when it was released the unofficial Debian ISO images (which include the non-free firmware) were not available so it made it much easier for users with hardware that required such firmware to install it.

Also, the multimedia repositories were enabled (for better or worse) and the .pkla configuration files were modified to enbable browsing of attached devices without superuser permissions (again, for better or worse).

Not to mention the newer versions of certain packages in the #! repositories (I did provide an explicit list of these for you in the #! forums).

This is also a debatable "advantage" as these packages did not receive security updates or bug fixes (unlike the wheezy equivalents).

All told, #! did offer more than "just themes" at the time of it's release but, on the whole, these no longer apply.

This is the reason why @corenomial ceased development.

For the record, I switched from #! to Debian wheezy as soon as I figured out how to install the non-free firmware for my wireless card during the installation and have been using pure Debian ever since.

Also for the record, I am not part of the BunsenLabs development team.
Okay.
We are talking about how good is Jessie here. I found how easy to add those "tweaks" onto Debian 8. So, Monara is just Debian 8 + Openbox and freely available "tweaks." And, because those "tweaks" came from #!, I wanted say thanks to Corenominal for them.

BunsenLabs is another story, just parasiting on #! tweaks and looks and trying to make a name--anyone who knows how to install Debian 8 and Openbox, and also read a bit could create a #! lookalike. That's why Debian 8 is just that good.

somebodyelse

#31 Post by somebodyelse »

^You sound very bitter. Bunsen Labs emerges directly from the community that is based around the #! forum and seeks specifically to respect Corenominal's wishes not to call any continuation CrunchBang.

monara

#32 Post by monara »

cpoakes wrote:
somebodyelse wrote:

@somebodyelse: The reason BunsenLabs (the CB derivative under discussion) doesn't have an ISO is that there is NO release yet. As pointed out, the current netinst based installation is an alpha test. Eventually there will be a website, a repository (for the BL debs), and ISOs. The hope/goal is for BL to become an official Debian Blend, but that won't prevent the creation of ISOs. Other Debian Blends release their own ISOs.

@monara: Overlooking the snark, I read frustration with the slow pace creating a BL ISO. For better or worse, the devs are taking the "it'll be done when it's done" mantra to heart. Furthermore, they are solely focused on creating the product. There is no parallel development of a funding mechanism, selection of a hosting service, creation of a repository, or a native web site; that will be addressed after the product development is complete. More like turtles than leeches. So a simple way to download and test a BunsenLabs Live ISO is still a long way down the road; I understand the frustration.
Out of all above, let's take the line "creation of a repository.

The apps you need to put in the repository is inside the #! Waldorf. You can find them in /etc, /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/share etc. They are text files. Conky and Tint2 are in Debian repos. So...?

Crunchbang forums had thousands of members; did the guys, who are trying to take over #! forums had an election to create the "executive?"

By the way, all that talk above is off topic. We are talking only about how good is Jessie. And, I say it is quite snappy.

cpoakes

#33 Post by cpoakes »

Back on topic. I am dissatisfied with jessie on my hardware. Both squeeze and wheezy recognize my laptop in the dock with lid closed and use the external monitor; not so with jessie. The same hardware also occasionally hangs on power down under jessie but has no problems with squeeze or wheezy.

Where the migration from squeeze to wheezy was problem free, jessie will take some fidgeting. So far there is nothing I want or need in jessie to bother with it. I will stick with wheezy until I find an application or feature that's only available in jessie.

monara

#34 Post by monara »

cpoakes wrote:Back on topic. I am dissatisfied with jessie on my hardware. Both squeeze and wheezy recognize my laptop in the dock with lid closed and use the external monitor; not so with jessie. The same hardware also occasionally hangs on power down under jessie but has no problems with squeeze or wheezy.

Where the migration from squeeze to wheezy was problem free, jessie will take some fidgeting. So far there is nothing I want or need in jessie to bother with it. I will stick with wheezy until I find an application or feature that's only available in jessie.
It is not Jessie, but your hardware.
You are dissatisfied with your hardware, so don't blame Jessie. :)

Sector11

#35 Post by Sector11 »

monara wrote:BunsenLabs is another story, just parasiting on #! tweaks and looks and trying to make a name--anyone who knows how to install Debian 8 and Openbox, and also read a bit could create a #! lookalike. That's why Debian 8 is just that good.
Monera is Debian8 + OpenBox + the freely available #! tweaks and isn't a parasite, but
BunsenLabs via Debian8 NetInstall, freely available #! bash tweaks - tweaked a bit more and updated from out of date code and you call it a parasite.

Something isn't right ... and lets not go into the LiveISO thing ... I don't have that know how but to follow corenominal's own words, "You'll see it when it's ready!"
Linux may not be the best OS but in IMHO it's way ahead of whatever is in second place!