Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Serious question, removing systemd from Jessie...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
golinux

Re: Serious question, removing systemd from Jessie...

#16 Post by golinux »

Linadian wrote:
golinux wrote:(You should probably delete your email from your post.)

Good advice but you quoted it in your post, lol. :wink: :lol: You have to edit your post too. :P
Ha. Brainfart. Fixed now.
May the FORK be with you!

golinux

Re: [SOLVED] Serious question, removing systemd from Jessie.

#17 Post by golinux »

@Linadian . . . Interesting discussion on #devuan this morning. You might want to take a peek.

And this post on the mail list. Yup, lockin confirmed via debootstrap.
May the FORK be with you!

Linadian

#18 Post by Linadian »

golinux wrote:@Linadian . . . Interesting discussion on #devuan this morning. You might want to take a peek.

And this post on the mail list. Yup, lockin confirmed via debootstrap.
Yes, interesting indeed, the solution to some newer versions of apps being systemd infested is to use the last virgin version, before they were befouled and sacrificed to the Lennfart Red$hat gods. I wish I was a developer, I'd reverse engineer this $#1+ right in to the ground.

BTW, I installed Salix 14.1 MATE on my spare SSD last night, it sure is different than your usual hand holding binary distros, they have about 5Gs of binaries, but the rest is installed via Sourcery, which is really cool and fun to watch, unfortunately, not everything compiles and installs perfectly, but that doesn't bring down the whole system either, not like a certain buggy init, lol. It's kinda neat rolling up the sleeves again and getting my hands a little dirty, even though Salix is Slackware for n00bs, it's a quick reminder of how things are REALLY pieced together. :? :shock: :)
Linux Registered User 533946

Linadian

#19 Post by Linadian »

Ah crap, now I remember why I abandoned Salix Xfce, same reason(s), it hates my printer and pysolfc won't work (oh come on, who can live without pysolfc, lol), CPU scaling is a pain to get working, etc. Anyway, you guys were right, I'm going to do a Wheezy install (with the Jessie sysvinit seed, ON PURPOSE), then do the $#1+stemd clean in the CL-->enabe backports to install MATE, I had Wheezy Xfce before, I got sick of the hokiness. Then if I never use it, it can just sit on the drive waiting for the Devuan upgrade, if the Devuan upgrade breaks it, then I do a clean Devuan install, no sweat. :)

mardybear

#20 Post by mardybear »

You're making me dizzy :lol:

I installed Salix last year and played around with it a bit. It was pretty good. Didn't have any complaints regarding hardware compatibility. It worked well, just wasn't my thing. Probably the best of all the Slackwares. At least it's relatively lean, can handle dependencies and doesn't default install everything but the kitchen sink. Stayed on the drive <24 hours.

It's hard to find an OS that does everything Debian can. That's probably my route too, Wheezy long term --> Devuan as the primary system, plus my hobby distributions. Seems to be the most logical plan.

Any forum member with >10 posts should be required to have a Debian installation for posting privileges anyway :wink:
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

Linadian

#21 Post by Linadian »

mardybear wrote:You're making me dizzy :lol:
Lol, yeah, I'm making myself dizzy. :roll: :shock: :lol:

Anyway, the latest is, I went with Xfce because Devuan has a pinky swear with Xfce, so their default DE will probably be Xfce. The preseed didn't work, there's no sysvinit-core in the Wheezy repos, no biggy though, all I have is one measly $#1+stemd related file in this install now-->libsystemd-login0, that pr1ck wants to pull the whole desktop out, and the unirverse, and all the neighbouring universes, like giant blackhole sucking power, lol. :roll: :mrgreen: I did do the no future systemd install pinning, we'll see how that plays out.

I didn't realize how much I miss Debhat Xfce, it's scary how much I know my way around it, but I'm still going to use my PCLOS MATE for everyday use, it's more polished, has lots of GUI tools and system sounds up the wahzoo (I gotta tweak everything I touch, lol).

n_hologram

#22 Post by n_hologram »

Linadian wrote: if anybody has tried using these instructions to remove systemd from Jessie? Does it work?
You tell me.
http://i.imgur.com/geiALJD.png

I pinned anything with systemd in the name, per those same instructions, so obviously programs (particularly Gnome-related software) like network-manager-gnome aren't an option (not that I use it). Still, for a standard desktop, it seems like a green light.

As so many others have said, however, you really should sandbox it with a VM before making any drastic decisions. And Salix is a nice fallback/alternative.

Also, awhile back, edbarx wrote a guide on how to spoof libsystemd0 using a custom .deb package of his own design, so I plan to play with that in days to come. As for now, beer takes priority.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Linadian

#23 Post by Linadian »

n_hologram wrote:
Linadian wrote: if anybody has tried using these instructions to remove systemd from Jessie? Does it work?
You tell me.
http://i.imgur.com/geiALJD.png

I pinned anything with systemd in the name, per those same instructions, so obviously programs (particularly Gnome-related software) like network-manager-gnome aren't an option (not that I use it). Still, for a standard desktop, it seems like a green light.

As so many others have said, however, you really should sandbox it with a VM before making any drastic decisions. And Salix is a nice fallback/alternative.

Also, awhile back, edbarx wrote a guide on how to spoof libsystemd0 using a custom .deb package of his own design, so I plan to play with that in days to come. As for now, beer takes priority.
Thanks for the info and screenie, appreciated. :D

Edit: a few more nicks for systemd...rectumd, infestedd. :shock: :lol:

n_hologram

#24 Post by n_hologram »

I'm offended by that statement. Butts are systemd-agnostic.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Linadian

#25 Post by Linadian »

n_hologram wrote:I'm offended by that statement. Butts are systemd-agnostic.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fsmithred

#26 Post by fsmithred »

Code: Select all

preseed/late_command="in-target apt-get install -y sysvinit-core"
If not using a preseed file, this can be added to the boot arguments instead by hitting TAB at the boot menu on the desired entry and appending the above preseed line at the end of the boot command.

There may still be a few bits of systemd installed, but at least init itself is not systemd and cleaning up any remaining pieces should not be too hard.

Bits...

Code: Select all

user@jesseed:~$ dpkg -l | grep systemd
ii  libsystemd0:amd64              215-17                      amd64        systemd utility library
ii  systemd                        215-17                      amd64        system and service manager
Fresh jessie netinstall with only standard system checked at tasksel. I added the preseed command to the boot line. The result is different from installing and then replacing systemd - there's no entry in the grub boot menu for systemd, and I guess it's fewer commands to remove systemd. Maybe not, if you count editing the boot line.