Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

News from the Devuan (Debian fork) camp

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
golinux

News from the Devuan (Debian fork) camp

#1 Post by golinux »

Today Jaromil posted Devuan's first trimester 2015 financial report with a brief progress update. Press release coming rather soon I think. Very encouraging . . .
May the FORK be with you!

mardybear

Re: News from the Devuan (Debian fork) camp

#2 Post by mardybear »

Don't follow mailing lists or anything so thanks for the updates golinux, really appreciated.
And a Puppy Linux build profile coming up by Dimkr!
Caught my eye. For the most part, BusyBox distributions keep trucking, compiling from source and grabbing older software if necessary. Of course systemd causes limitations, you'll never see a Puppy Linux release featuring GNOME desktop, but otherwise keep on, keepin' on.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

buntunub

#3 Post by buntunub »

The release I am waiting for.. That other one on the 25th came and went without fanfare except from MIcrosoft.

edbarx

#4 Post by edbarx »

Since I installed Devuan, I never stopped using it. It reminds me of the great quality I used to enjoy back in the days when I used Sarge, Etch and Lenny but with a much improved desktop experience. I am using XFCE4 with COMPOSITING enabled:

Code: Select all

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
which is NOT a powerful GPU, but still, my computer is responsive. :D 8) :mrgreen:

Long Life Software Freedom and Choice!
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

TonyVanDam

#5 Post by TonyVanDam »

I'll still use the systemd-infested Debian on my laptop. But I would loved to use a final release of Devuan on my desktop. Still waiting! 8)

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

edbarx wrote:Long Life Software Freedom and Choice!
+1.