Anyone using Stretch yet?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: Anyone using Stretch yet?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-05-12 07:10

emariz wrote:
TonyVanDam wrote:My laptop is always on Debian Unstable ("Sid"). I only had to wait a week to be sure that almost nothing gets removed due to anything xorg-related or xserver-related.

And what are the benefits of your approach, compared to using Testing?

As there is a delay in introducing new packages to Testing, any problems that are introduced to Testing stay there for 10-14 days.

With sid, a new version is pushed out straight away so any problems are actually dealt with more quickly.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Ardouos » 2015-05-12 14:49

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
emariz wrote:
TonyVanDam wrote:My laptop is always on Debian Unstable ("Sid"). I only had to wait a week to be sure that almost nothing gets removed due to anything xorg-related or xserver-related.

And what are the benefits of your approach, compared to using Testing?

As there is a delay in introducing new packages to Testing, any problems that are introduced to Testing stay there for 10-14 days.

With sid, a new version is pushed out straight away so any problems are actually dealt with more quickly.

Yes, testing may "work" for longer. But it breaks for longer too. Some packages can be broken/ removed for months until there is a "fix" in unstable.

So its either:
More time working; more time broken
vs
Less time working; less time broken

Obviously it all comes down to the users capabilities too!
Ardouos

Postby tomazzi » 2015-05-12 21:20

Ardouos wrote:Yes, testing may "work" for longer. But it breaks for longer too. Some packages can be broken/ removed for months until there is a "fix" in unstable.
(...)
Obviously it all comes down to the users capabilities too!

Of course You're right. Testing is, well, for testing...
But: If a single human is holding the resposibility for a quality of particular package, then obviously, he can mislook something - and here's where the users can come in: report bugs people, report bugs with as much as possible detailed bug describtion.

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus
tomazzi

Postby virgosun » 2015-10-21 00:33

:mrgreen: I am very satisfied with xfce 12 comes to testing, so I decide to reinstall mine straight from testing....for my Asus X
virgosun

Previous

Return to General Discussion