Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Monetizing GNU

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Monetizing GNU

#1 Post by oswaldkelso »

We are extremely excited to announce our new funding from some long time friends in venture capital, Andreessen Horowitz. They lead a $150 million dollar private equity round at a $52 billion dollar valuation, which we will use to start generating revenue and take our software to the next level.
and
Unfortunately, some long time friends in the Linux community will not be joining us in our journey, namely the Linux kernel, so we will be using $50 million from this funding to complete the GNU Hurd kernel on an accelerated timeline so that our current users don't experience any interruption of service.
https://diafygi.github.io/gnu-pricing/website/

:lol:
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

levlaz

Re: Monetizing GNU

#2 Post by levlaz »

I saw this yesterday as well, quite funny. I would be broke if I had to pay for GNU utilities. :)
Best,

Lev
Blog

tomazzi

#3 Post by tomazzi »

Oh crap... ...or: at once!
It all depends on how will You interpret this news.

To be honest - I'm not sure...

I can see 2 possible scenarios:
1. GNU will get the foundings which he deserves - well, Linux kernel was historically overpriced in its role in a open source world, and, it's becoming more and more closed-src solution, as more and more 3rd party crappy software is added in a form of "binary blob" to the kernel...
To explain it a bit: Closed source software is a crap - why: it's because of how big corporations are developing the software - they are unable to create high-quality soft, because they are suffering from a dissease called "marketing" - I know almost EVERYTHING about this, and if someone is interrested, then I can provide proofs and reflections (made after over 15 years of software development)...

2. Unfortunatelly, there is another possible scenario: GNU have just been bought - that would be the end of free software.
To visualise how important GNU project is, i'll say: Linux Kernel is completely non-relevant, as it is only a part of GNU Project.

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

fireExit

#4 Post by fireExit »

tomazzi wrote:2. Unfortunatelly, there is another possible scenario: GNU have just been bought - that would be the end of free software.
Satire :wink:
Disclaimer

This project is satire and was made during the 2015 Stupid crap No One Needs & Terrible Ideas Hackathon.

tomazzi

#5 Post by tomazzi »

:lol:
Odi profanum vulgus

mardybear

#6 Post by mardybear »

Maybe RedHat or another large developer can get the ball rolling by linking a credit card/paypal keyring, keystroke logger and automatic networking daemon for automagic billing.

To prevent hacking, all components will be integrated into the kernel or a fancy new init system to rule them all, so the software can't be removed/killed and GNU/Linux users worldwide can be accurately billed, regardless of the distribution utilized.

All virtual terminal and file manager developers will, of course, need to update their code for compliance to ensure all instances of the billable commands can be captured. Non-complying software will be considered deprecated and rendered useless.

The project would be open source...so it's all good :roll:
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

geekosupremo

#7 Post by geekosupremo »

https://github.com/diafygi/gnu-pricing
=======================
Welcome to GNU Pricing!
=======================

Using many GNU tools now cost $0.01 per use.

This command (gcc) has been used 2 times so far.

Overall GNU command usage
command usage cost
------- ----- ----
gcc 2 $.02
ls 41 $.41
md5sum 1 $.01
uname 2 $.02
------- ----- ----
Total 46 $.46
Here is where I about lost it with laughter