Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lokking for advice from those tracking sid

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
lizbeth

Lokking for advice from those tracking sid

#1 Post by lizbeth »

There used to be sites to check the "weather" of packages in unstable. Are there still sites like that? Where are they? If not, how do you judge when to safely update packages?
Toshiba Satellite Laptop, AMD A6-3420M Quad-Core CPU, AMD Radeon 6520G On Chip HD GPU, Toshiba 500 Gig HD, 6 gigs Ram

Linux Mint Debian Sid, Liquorix 3.6 Kernel, Cinnamon 1.6.4 Desktop

wayne128

Re: Lokking for advice from those tracking sid

#2 Post by wayne128 »

lizbeth wrote:There used to be sites to check the "weather" of packages in unstable. Are there still sites like that? Where are they?
Yes of course.
siduction is the best place to check, at least for me.

http://forum.siduction.org/
If not, how do you judge when to safely update packages?
Just from using it over long time, as well as learned from much experienced gurus who were willing to post with guides...

Here is my usual methods
1. install apt-listbugs, for easy to check bugs before hitting button.

2. have a simple method of clone or backup an OS, for a restore path, just 15-20 minutes to backup, 8-15 minutes to restore if something goes wrong. I keep OS partition very small so as not to spend too much time on backup and restore.

3. always study what apt wants to remove, especially on xorg , desktop, network manager removal.
when such thing happens it usually indicates a huge transition going on, and for such case, patience is most important. Usually siduction forum is the first one that someone will get hit and they posted there to alert others..

item 2 is the most important for me, to have a restore path :lol:

reinob

#3 Post by reinob »

lizbeth wrote:There used to be sites to check the "weather" of packages in unstable. Are there still sites like that? Where are they? If not, how do you judge when to safely update packages?
This is useful:
https://release.debian.org/transitions/

Upgrading packages in unstable is mostly a no-brainer. In the middle of a transition things can get hairy, but as long as you read and understand what you read (e.g. a critical package is about to be removed) you should be fine.

MoaTib

#4 Post by MoaTib »

apt-get install braindump -t unstable

Stupid changes are not synonymous of useful progress.

lizbeth

#5 Post by lizbeth »

Thank you for those other options. Siduction doesn't offer a preconfigured desktop that I like.

Mate suits me as long as i can install pipelight flash and it runs flawlessly. Openbox also suits me for this purpose.

If i have to build my ownsystem, i might as well pack it onto a usb and make my own distro. Not a bad idea but a little bit beyond me just yet.
Toshiba Satellite Laptop, AMD A6-3420M Quad-Core CPU, AMD Radeon 6520G On Chip HD GPU, Toshiba 500 Gig HD, 6 gigs Ram

Linux Mint Debian Sid, Liquorix 3.6 Kernel, Cinnamon 1.6.4 Desktop

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

lizbeth wrote:Thank you for those other options. Siduction doesn't offer a preconfigured desktop that I like.

Mate suits me as long as i can install pipelight flash and it runs flawlessly. Openbox also suits me for this purpose.

If i have to build my ownsystem, i might as well pack it onto a usb and make my own distro. Not a bad idea but a little bit beyond me just yet.

Doesn't Semplice 7 fullfill all these requirements?

http://semplice-linux.org/

reinob

#7 Post by reinob »

lizbeth wrote:Thank you for those other options. Siduction doesn't offer a preconfigured desktop that I like.

I think you're answering in the wrong thread, even if you are the OP. You asked about risks when upgrading packages in unstable.