Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do Debianites feel about Ubuntu?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
edbarx

Re: How do Debianites feel about Ubuntu?

#101 Post by edbarx »

Cheifahol wrote:Ubuntu is great for more novice users, it's the perfect gateway drug to other distros like debian.
When I first tried it when I was still a GNU/Linux beginner, programs misbehaved reminding me of using MS Windows 95/98. That was enough of a 'reprimand' not to use it as it clearly was unreliable.

I started off with Knoppix 3.7 which is a Live Linux Distribution to be run off a CD. Knowing Debian was the source from which Knoppix was derived, I opted to use the source directly. Now, I am using Devuan which is still Debian. I can keep debian.org as a reference when I need a package that I don't have installed. Furthermore, as long as Debian continues to keep sources open, allowing anyone to modify them, adapting them to be used under Devuan would still be possible although sometimes with a lot of effort.

EDIT: Substituted 'until' with 'as long as'.
Last edited by edbarx on 2016-01-23 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Head_on_a_Stick

#102 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

edbarx wrote:until Debian continues to keep sources open, allowing anyone to modify them
Until?

Don't they do that already?
deadbang

WeLoveDebian

#103 Post by WeLoveDebian »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
These days Ubuntu is pretty much a "hit-and-miss" scenario, nobody knows how good or bad the next release is going to be.
Someone would say that Debian has become the same, sadly. Let's hope Stretch changes things for the better.
Yup. Stable isn't "that" stable anymore, sadly.