Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do Debianites feel about Ubuntu?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: How do Debianites feel about Ubuntu?

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

tadaensylvermane wrote:as I understand it ppas are under a certain level of scrutiny.
Not at all.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/35629/ar ... tch-out-fo

IMO, Debian-Multimedia is far "safer" and more secure.
deadbang

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

In fact, I sort of remember looking at the makemkv PPA, and discovering that it's part open source and part closed-source binary, and only free for use while in beta: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Not anything that will evar get into Debian.

I can confirm that the Windows 1.9.2 beta will install and the GUI will come up using wine-staging 1.7.43. Probably the simplest way to get wine-staging on Debian is with playonlinux.
MX Linux packager and developer

Linadian

#18 Post by Linadian »

I never understood the attraction to the actual Ubuntu (after several tests over the years), I've used several derivatives but have moved on to PCLinuxOS because of spyware and systemd in both Debian and the *buntus. The actual Ubuntu was never that great, I remember bugs and configuration problems, and it was always ugly as sin, I got the intention behind their 'human' theme, but it was still ugly, like a stool with blood in it, lol. :roll:

The highest out of 10 I would have ever scored it would maybe been a 7, there are/were 9s and 10s out there. Now it's just another spyware Windows with a different kernel under the hood, they should call it ETbuntu, since it likes to phone home so much. :roll:
Linux Registered User 533946

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Linadian wrote:they should call it ETbuntu, since it likes to phone home so much. :roll:
QFT :D
deadbang

somebodyelse

#20 Post by somebodyelse »

I've just set up an Xfce installation of Jessie. I had a problem with Qt5 apps and was resigned to using KDE or Gnome. However after some weeks on KDE and never really taking to it, I resolved to fix the Qt5 app font problems in Xfce. Having solved these problems, there were lots of little niggling issues that I only discovered one by one. Nothing major and, as a Debian user, I am happy to configure my system. However, with Xubuntu everything works out of the box. So the Buntus have a place.

I am suspicious with the agreements they make developers sign but as Richard Stallman points out this is no different to Fedora or openSUSE.

However, I really think anyone who doesn't recognise the right to fork and goes on about Mir/Wayland is either probably a Microsoft/SUSE agent provocateur or an idiot who is just looking for ways to dislike Canonical (or both). Mir is a 100% non-issue. Development of Mir doesn't prevent development of Wayland. Intel/Nvidia/AMD have to decide where they stand? So what. That's the way it's always been.

Unity I like a lot, although a lot of its functionality (lenses etc.) is completely irrelevant to the way I use a computer.

I don't like its ambivalence to free software (shared by Arch, openSUSE, Slackware and Gentoo) or by the way the freedom side of "free" is played down against the no-cost side.

As for QT5 fonts, this worked for me (taken from https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 1#p1350501):

Make a file called /etc/fonts/local.conf and put the following in it.

Code: Select all

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>

<!-- Hinting -->
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match> 

<!-- Hint Style -->
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle">
   <const>hintslight</const>
  </edit>
 </match>

<!-- Anti-aliasing -->
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>

NkfzGx3ok

#21 Post by NkfzGx3ok »

I wouldn't call myself a Debianite but for me Ubuntu is nowhere near as interesting as it was when I first tried it out 2005/2006 time, in terms of polishing things up and trying new things. I left after 8.10 and never really bothered with it again.

bettylou

#22 Post by bettylou »

whatever makemkv does proabably[sic] can be done with some tool from Deb multimedia
Good luck with that. Try ripping a blu-ray with anything else... on any OS.

andyetanother

#23 Post by andyetanother »

Debian used to be a very different distribution back in the days of Debian 3,4,5, nowadays there's not much difference between Debian and the other derivatives - and in many cases the same people are working on them. This makes hating ubuntu while using Debian pretty silly.

Head_on_a_Stick

#24 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

somebodyelse

#25 Post by somebodyelse »

andyetanother wrote:Debian used to be a very different distribution back in the days of Debian 3,4,5, nowadays there's not much difference between Debian and the other derivatives - and in many cases the same people are working on them. This makes hating ubuntu while using Debian pretty silly.
Debian makes the difference between free and non-free clear for users. The Debian project is run in a much more democratic/transparent way and there is no BDFL figure bestowing shiny gifts and control upon the unwashed. Plus, there is the social contract. These are the reasons I use Debian and they are important.

It is silly to hate any distribution full stop but in terms of derivatives their right to exist is officially recognised by Debian.

pylkko

#26 Post by pylkko »

bettylou wrote:
whatever makemkv does proabably[sic] can be done with some tool from Deb multimedia
Good luck with that. Try ripping a blu-ray with anything else... on any OS.

You're correct in saying that I was too quick to jump to conclusions, especially since I have absolutly zero experience with ripping Bluerays.

But, I was responding to the original point that "one needs to use Ubuntu because makemkv". Once again not having ever tried it, I am assuming that this is not the case and that even if makemkv is absolutely irreplacable, it does not necessarily create a situation where someone so much wishing to use Debian really needs to use Ubuntu instead. Of course, installiing makemkv on Debian would most likely involve using some less reliable source than the official repos (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224) not being able to easily update it and other inconviniences... but isn't that (partially) the case here anyway with the ppa's? If so, then it all boils down to how strong that aforementioned desire is.

alderaan

#27 Post by alderaan »

Where is that TL;DR line?
:lol:

Danielsan

#28 Post by Danielsan »

I stopped to use Ubuntu since the moment my old friend Mark started to impose how I must use my computer and probably I am going to leave Debian since the moment my new friend Lennart start to impose how I must use my computer. Really sad.

somebodyelse

#29 Post by somebodyelse »

^Well at least you're still friends. Where are you going?

Danielsan

#30 Post by Danielsan »

There are very few options... Gentoo? Devuan? Void Linux?
I haven't decided yet.

somebodyelse

#31 Post by somebodyelse »

Good luck.

exploder

#32 Post by exploder »

I see Ubuntu becoming a proprietary distribution.

andyetanother

#33 Post by andyetanother »

exploder wrote:I see Ubuntu becoming a proprietary distribution.
And just how exactly do you see that happening considering the amount of GPL'd code involved?

exploder

#34 Post by exploder »

Speaking generally, who else is using or going to use any of these?

buntunub

#35 Post by buntunub »

This thread was obviously started for trolling.