Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian is getting slow

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
GogoAkira

Debian is getting slow

#1 Post by GogoAkira »

I have a AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, two core with 6GB of Ram, and iI can't play 1080p on youtube with debian jessie gnome, I can't even play the videos I recorded with a canon camcorder, which the camcorder can play just fine, about 30 full frames per second 24mbps video. Windows 7 plays it just fine, what is going on, if this continues I'm gonna have to go back to arch linux, debian is my favorite but it would seem that there's too many people with new computers nowdays. I'm trying cinamon now see if it's better, i'll try the proprietary drivers cuz gnome isn't compatible with them. Here I was putting debian along side windows on my brothers computer so he can have a decent walmart computer, yea debian is faster then windows it just can't play the videos as good as windows.

runfrodorun

Re: Debian is getting slow

#2 Post by runfrodorun »

Most likely you are using fb drivers or nouveau. I'm running debian on some pc's that are over 14 years old and can play hd video still, and get pretty great performance in more ways than one.

-RJ
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

thanatos_incarnate

#4 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

GogoAkira wrote:I have a AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
On the open source drivers, be sure to

1. install the mesa vdpau backend and texture compression library

Code: Select all

apt-get install mesa-vdpau drivers libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0
2. restart your computer and and choose a decent video player like vlc which automatically enables vdpau acceleration.

For Flash video, Chrome gives the best performance IMHO. For HTML5 video, it's similar. Also be sure to enable 3d acceleration in Flash and in your browser settings.
runfrodorun wrote:Most likely you are using fb drivers or nouveau. I'm running debian on some pc's that are over 14 years old and can play hd video still, and get pretty great performance in more ways than one.
Please at least read up on the basics of Linux video drivers before claiming that an ATI user has nouveau drivers. :roll:

runfrodorun

#5 Post by runfrodorun »

thanatos_incarnate wrote:
GogoAkira wrote:I have a AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
On the open source drivers, be sure to

1. install the mesa vdpau backend and texture compression library

Code: Select all

apt-get install mesa-vdpau drivers libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0
2. restart your computer and and choose a decent video player like vlc which automatically enables vdpau acceleration.

For Flash video, Chrome gives the best performance IMHO. For HTML5 video, it's similar. Also be sure to enable 3d acceleration in Flash and in your browser settings.
runfrodorun wrote:Most likely you are using fb drivers or nouveau. I'm running debian on some pc's that are over 14 years old and can play hd video still, and get pretty great performance in more ways than one.
Please at least read up on the basics of Linux video drivers before claiming that an ATI user has nouveau drivers. :roll:
I stopped reading after the first sentence. Didn't even know he had ATI. Don't see why anyone would blame me either.

When I think bad graphics drivers I think nouveau and only nouveau... the open source ATI drivers are actually phenomenal.

edit: clarification.
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.

thanatos_incarnate

#6 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

runfrodorun wrote: I stopped reading after the first sentence. Didn't even know he had ATI. Don't see why anyone would blame me either.
When I think bad graphics drivers I think nouveau and only nouveau...
:shock: No wonder this forum is going down the drain...

Randicus

#7 Post by Randicus »

runfrodorun wrote:I stopped reading after the first sentence. Didn't even know he had ATI. Don't see why anyone would blame me either.
Why would anyone blame you for giving technical advice to a question you did not read?
Are you sure cannot see why?

somebodyelse

#8 Post by somebodyelse »

thanatos_incarnate wrote: :shock: No wonder this forum is going down the drain...
I cannot find this news bit anywhere. Can you give us a link for your claim?

runfrodorun

#9 Post by runfrodorun »

Randicus wrote:
runfrodorun wrote:I stopped reading after the first sentence. Didn't even know he had ATI. Don't see why anyone would blame me either.
Why would anyone blame you for giving technical advice to a question you did not read?
Are you sure cannot see why?
"my computer is slow..." "x y and z work in windows just fine..."

Had the subject been "I think debian is getting slow" instead of "debian is getting slow" I might have responded differently.
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.

Randicus

#10 Post by Randicus »

The title is irrelevant. You posted advice without reading the question.

spacex

#11 Post by spacex »

Randicus wrote:The title is irrelevant. You posted advice without reading the question.
Yes, he has already admitted to doing that. He just thinks nobody can blame him, because he lost his focus when he perceived an attack on Debian. His main priority was to defend Debian, not to help anyone with a technical question. "I think Debian is getting slow" is acceptable, but "Debian is getting slow" sounds like a statement that should be hammered down even before reading what it is about :lol:

Actually, I was in a bad mood before reading this post. It actually helped :D

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

Anyway, to get back to the original problem, maybe the OP needs firmware or could use va-api acceleration with the fglrx driver to get some better performance. If the CPU has two real cores, perhaps using both with mplayer or mpv for decoding would also help. You can also test to see if VLC is using both cores for x264 playback.

The results of the terminal command xvinfo would be informative, as well what video players he has tried, and whether Youtube is using Flash or HTML 5.
MX Linux packager and developer

Wheelerof4te

#13 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Maybe even try a lighter desktop? 1080p with only two cores+flash (if he wants to play flash, OP hasn't clarified that) while chumming GNOME 3+other stuff seems like a stretch.

@OP:
Use Vlc, it plays just about anything and it does it good. Also, for viewing youtube videos, you might wanna install Minitube. Get it from here:
http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube

Since version in Jessie repo is outdated and can't play videos for some reason (cuz of youtube upgrade? Dunno.)