Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debian 8 virus

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Azonix

Re: debian 8 virus

#16 Post by Azonix »

thanatos_incarnate wrote: Well, sorry if it came off too harsh, but you did have a somewhat arrogant tone.
Accepted, and apologies, perhap's the title of the post was somewhat bad too,

In my defence though, this ISN'T the original post as typed, the ORIGINAL had all the links and a different title, but as the board wasn't allowing me to post, i was cutting and pasting to try to get it through. I posted the incorrect text document.

The title was " debian 8 virus.....REALLY ?? " , not much better i admit, but would have stopped a few negatives i think....

The other lines in the post, especially about the ext4fs were all linked to a collection of news articles about this and other things, but i lost the bloody link. I was doing all the post on my tails laptop, its running from SD card with no persistance, so i can't get the original typed post back. Unfortunately. The links were hilarious.

michaelg81

#17 Post by michaelg81 »

I have the identical virus identified on a new installation of debian. Been getting set up and just ran the first full file system scan of ClamTK. Will it damage anything to delete mime.cache?

Starborn

#18 Post by Starborn »

I don't know much about viruses ("viri"?), since in all these 25+ years I only got one, and I remember it just ruined a dozen or so text files, mp3 files and whatnot.

But back in 1997/1998, when we ran UNIX (AIX 4.3) at work, we once got an e-mail with some (kind of) Windows virus in it. Nothing happened, of course, but it was fun - "Hey look, we have a computer virus!" :P

Once, for about year or so, I had an antivirus program ("Panda"), back in Windows ME. I have two other computers, running Windows (that being good ole Vista), and I am 99.9 % certain (hey, it is Windows) that they are clean.
We're all star children!