Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Is LXQt in the future

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
ticojohn

[SOLVED] Is LXQt in the future

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I am a LXDE user and proud of it. Guess that says something about me. :roll:

Anyway, I've been looking at LXQt and like what I read. However, installing from non-Deb repositories is something I have done in the
past and am going to avoid in the future. I'm just not smart enough to not create problems. So, does it look like Debian will, at some
point in the not too distant future, be including LXQt in the repositories?

Looking forward to comments, even rude ones. :lol:
Last edited by ticojohn on 2015-06-29 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

thanatos_incarnate

Re: Is LXQt in the future

#2 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

LXDE is in the Debian repos. LXQT is the future version of it, so yes: provided the packages adhere to Debian guidelines, they will probably be in the next Debian version. It is already being packaged for Debian and you can follow the progress or find more info here:
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/LxqtPackagingTeam

My experience so far has been a good one, although it is still rather buggy for production use, especially if you take stability seriously as most Debian users do. This experience has however been on Arch, so it might be a bit different on Debian.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

I have used LXQT. It works fully on a desktop, but not on a laptop.

Contrary to good advice about not mixing repositories I used this: http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-lxqt-0 ... -8-jessie/

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

arochester wrote:I have used LXQT. It works fully on a desktop, but not on a laptop.

Contrary to good advice about not mixing repositories I used this: http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-lxqt-0 ... -8-jessie/
Thanks for that feedback. However, having been spooked by adding something from a non-debian repository, when I was using
Wheezy, and then having problems when upgrading to Jessie (probably entirely a user problem), I am somewhat reluctant to do it
again. So I will just bide my time and hopefully LXQt will be added to the Debian repositories sometime in my lifetime. :lol:

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I've tried it in Arch, didn't like it -- I prefer LXDE...

I've never been a fan of Qt themes & icon sets.
deadbang

ticojohn

#6 Post by ticojohn »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I've tried it in Arch, didn't like it -- I prefer LXDE...

Well, that's good to hear. I personally like LXDE, a lot. If LXQt ever makes it to the deb repositories I may install it just to see
whether I like it. But I am not interested enough to go off base and install something that might cause problems. Been there and
done that.

Thanks for the feedback.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Aren't icon sets pretty much universal?

I do like the default dark QT theme that comes with kvantum, which emulates the recent stock Enlightenment theme and uses vector SVG instead of bitmaps:

So much that I packaged it: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mx/testrepo/p ... e-kvantum/

It's more of an overall QT style, there aren't any KDE dependencies.

On topic--I did try backporting LXQT 0.9.0 from Siduction to a Wheezy base, but couldn't get liblxqt (a base library) to link after the compile on 64-bit--something about a symbol error and it wasn't a shared library; to recompile with -fPIC--so I tried that, which does work with mpv on a Wheezy base, but not this time. Even with a linker from binutils backported from Jessie, so it may be something to do with gcc. I'll try later on a Jessie base for MX 15.

At least I ended up with cmake-3.2.2 backported to Wheezy for the effort, though
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:Aren't icon sets pretty much universal?
Er, well, umm, [mumble, mutter]...
:oops:
deadbang

thanatos_incarnate

#9 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

This might change when LxQt gets more users and/or becomes official in Lubuntu.

LaneLester

Re: [SOLVED] Is LXQt in the future

#10 Post by LaneLester »

I'm currently running ExTIX, a one-man unsupported Ubuntu/LXQT distro, and I'd like to add LXQT 0.9.0 to the Debian Netinstall Jessie I'm running in another partition. The link provided above gives a 403 error.

If it's not practical to do what I describe above, is there a supported Debian Jessie distro with LXQT?

Lane

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

I don't know, but based on the results when I did a search maybe there is.
copy and paste the key words in the link, into the search engine window.

There are other results,as well, you need to do your own searches though.
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... nn_jessie/

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

LaneLester wrote:I'm currently running ExTIX, a one-man unsupported Ubuntu/LXQT distro, and I'd like to add LXQT 0.9.0 to the Debian Netinstall Jessie I'm running in another partition. The link provided above gives a 403 error.

If it's not practical to do what I describe above, is there a supported Debian Jessie distro with LXQT?

Lane
If you'd like to help others use it on Jessie as well as for yourself, I'd be willing to help you port it over to a Jessie base for the MX 15 repository.
MX Linux packager and developer

LaneLester

#13 Post by LaneLester »

I just completed a download of Siduction-LXQT and I'm going to give that a tryout. Looking at the Siduction site, it's not clear whether it uses a "standard" Debian install program.

Another distro that looks interesting is Sparky, which offers a bunch of DEs as options for the "testing" Debian.

Later: I installed Siduction and in accordance with its manual, did an apt-get dist-upgrade. That was a horrible mistake, and even after all kinds of contortions, left me with a system that could not be upgraded. A Siduction guru suggested a fix, but it didn't work for me.

I decided to go ahead and try Sparky, another Debian/LXQT distro. This one uses Debian testing, rather than unstable. I think this distro is going to serve well as a main OS. The install program seemed to be a newer version of the usual one, whereas Siduction uses a web install of some kind.

Lane