Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Would you have switched to use Debian or any other .... ?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Would you have switched to use Debian or any other ....

#61 Post by sunrat »

dcruse2 wrote:...In Linux, you browse the entire internet for something called a binary. then you get to the list of 40+ files you have to click and download individually and then there is still nothing to click and run to play until you compile and create your own thing to launch the file. and then your driver don't work correctly and you have to tweak and turn down settings just to play it at best with no sound and at extremely low FPS.
So would I switch? no . because Linux just don't work with games. and everyone I know that has a computer will not use it either because of that very reason....
The 90s wants its opinions back. :)
Have you heard about repositories and package managers? Have you heard of Steam?

Personally I dual-boot, Win 7 for the games that work better on it, and Linux (MX-15 atm) for everyday use.
And as for systemd, there are choices. MX-15 uses SysV and Devuan has finally just been released.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Ardouos

#62 Post by Ardouos »

dcruse2 wrote:...In Linux, you browse the entire internet for something called a binary. then you get to the list of 40+ files you have to click and download individually and then there is still nothing to click and run to play until you compile and create your own thing to launch the file. and then your driver don't work correctly and you have to tweak and turn down settings just to play it at best with no sound and at extremely low FPS.
So would I switch? no . because Linux just don't work with games. and everyone I know that has a computer will not use it either because of that very reason....

Most games I tend to find online either you receive the binary and you use the package manager to satisfy the dependencies. Or the libraries needed are placed into the home drive.

The only "work" you really have to do to get a game working is if you have to compile a game.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Alley Cat

#63 Post by Alley Cat »

I've gotten a couple lately that were actually Windows versions with a self-contained WINE setup. They work okay, though.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Tried the rest... Now using the best!

djwyman

#64 Post by djwyman »

I Have 3 computers that all use different OSes. My main desktop with 3k worth of parts I built last year has windows 10 because it was built for gaming and as much as I hate to say it windows still does gaming better than linux. Then I have a Chromebook I had bought when I decided to go back to collage a few years ago because it had amazing battery life. Then lastly I have my lenovo ideapad touch I bought from a pawnshop for cheap running Debian sid (before that I bounced around to different distros mostly ubuntu or mint related until I found I wanted to jump to a bigboy distro) to replace my chromebook when my son broke the screen on it(since replaced screen.) I use linux distros on this laptop because windows was quite sluggish on this laptop that and for the last 15 years or so I have liked tinkering and trying linux distros and it is not a system that has to work so if I try something crazy that breaks my system it is ok I can just start over. I keep chrome os on the other laptop because it is easy from my wife to use and it is reliable(realize I could use debian stable and it would be rock solid but its not as easy to use for my computer illiterate wife.)