Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

This is what Stallman had to say about systemd. Really?!?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
WeLoveDebian

Re: This is what Stallman had to say about systemd. Really?!

#61 Post by WeLoveDebian »

Randicus wrote:
WeLoveDebian wrote:The fear that systemd will introduce closed-source binaries? openBSD does that already with it's firmware blobs - Debian don't.
You seam a bit misinformed. Binary blobs are not allowed in the OpenBSD kernel or base system. Security is one of the main foci of the system's makers, so hidden code is considered a security risk. Lack of binary blobs is a main cause of some hardware not working with the system. Perhaps you are confusing OpenBSD and FreeBSD? (I do not know if FreeBSD has blobs, but I do know they are more lenient to such things.)
I'm not misinformed. There's an interview with Theo in Youtube (IIRC) that he says "the firmware is merely copied to the device so it's not executed by the CPU".

openBSD's policies state that no binary DRIVER should be present in the Kernel. However, non-free FIRMWARE *IS* present.
I have an AMD R9 270X that is bugged as hell in pure GNU systems (Because these don't have the AMD firmware blob). In Debian/Parabola my monitor goes only at 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz, even though it can reach 1280x1024 @75Hz or 1600x1200 @68 Hz. This happens because there is no closed-source firmware loaded.
In openBSD, Arch Linux, Ubuntu, etc, my monitor functions as expected because these vanilla kernels (Linux included) contains formware blobs. In fact, this makes me think why Linux is still licensed under GPL when it has firmware blobs.

shevegen

#62 Post by shevegen »

RMS is now an old man. He no longer knows what is going on.

What else did you expect?

He never used systemd, he does not know it.

golinux

#63 Post by golinux »

shevegen wrote:RMS is now an old man. He no longer knows what is going on.
That is an absolutely ridiculous statement made by a someone without much life experience. Guess the younger generation never learns . . .
May the FORK be with you!

millpond

#64 Post by millpond »

Ridiculous?
Hardly.

RMS is around my age - and I havent a clue as to what the hell is going on these days.

With all the pinheads putzing up perfectly working system architectures.

golinux

#65 Post by golinux »

millpond wrote:Ridiculous?
Hardly.

RMS is around my age - and I havent a clue as to what the hell is going on these days.
That is a sad admission . . . (from someone who has a decade on RMS)
May the FORK be with you!

Apostolos

#66 Post by Apostolos »

Randicus wrote:
WeLoveDebian wrote:The fear that systemd will introduce closed-source binaries? openBSD does that already with it's firmware blobs - Debian don't.
You seam a bit misinformed. Binary blobs are not allowed in the OpenBSD kernel or base system. Security is one of the main foci of the system's makers, so hidden code is considered a security risk. Lack of binary blobs is a main cause of some hardware not working with the system. Perhaps you are confusing OpenBSD and FreeBSD? (I do not know if FreeBSD has blobs, but I do know they are more lenient to such things.)
Well the FSF says:
FSF wrote:BSD systems

FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD all include instructions for obtaining nonfree programs in their ports system. In addition, their kernels include nonfree firmware blobs.

Nonfree firmware programs used with Linux, the kernel, are called “blobs”, and that's how we use the term. In BSD parlance, the term “blob” means something else: a nonfree driver. OpenBSD and perhaps other BSD distributions (called “projects” by BSD developers) have the policy of not including those. That is the right policy, as regards drivers; but when the developers say these distributions “contain no blobs”, it causes a misunderstanding. They are not talking about firmware blobs.

No BSD distribution has policies against proprietary binary-only firmware that might be loaded even by free drivers.

http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html
So if the above is true it means that OpenBSD doesn't include non-free drivers but it includes non-free firmware in its kernel (like Fedora , Arch, Ubuntu, Mint etc.)

millpond

#67 Post by millpond »

golinux wrote:
millpond wrote:Ridiculous?
Hardly.

That is a sad admission . . . (from someone who has a decade on RMS)
RMS, on Guix is probably not so much clueless - as indifferent to what is going on with the distros.
https://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

He also has other fish to fry, such as Mono, and LLVM....

somebodyelse

#68 Post by somebodyelse »

He found time for the Bunty shopping lens.

millpond

#69 Post by millpond »

somebodyelse wrote:He found time for the Bunty shopping lens.

Cause, I presume - and hope - for excomminication.

Intercourse with the debbil is a most serous offense.

runfrodorun

#70 Post by runfrodorun »

OP, that reaction does not surprise me at all.
Much opinionated.
Some abrasive.
No systemd.
Wow.

HuangLao

#71 Post by HuangLao »

actually, Stallman switched from gNewSense to Trisquel quite a few months ago. Which is based on Ubuntu LTS, currently still using upstart, but will switch to systemd when Ubuntu does.

See: https://www.stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
and
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/stallman ... omputation