Preparing upgrade to Jessie

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Preparing upgrade to Jessie

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2015-07-10 16:04

I hope this is the right place to get some opinions on my planned upgrade to Jessie.

I am now wanting to move away from Gnome 3. The fallback to Gnome 2 is not satisfactory, and so I am intending to try Xfce. Their online documentation looks good.

I note that there is a web browser, but I do not see an email client. I prefer to download my emails for offline viewing. At the moment I am using Evolution which is always very slow to load. What is a good replacement for Evolution? My needs are light - no tasks or calendar required. Just email folders, address books and spam filtering will do.

I have been developing C++ programs in Eclipse. It has some good features, but its indexer is very frustrating, especially when debugging. Also the one in Wheezy is buggy. So I have been looking around at the othe IDE's such as Anjuta (only one project at a time), Codeblocks(no makefile export), codelite(maybe useful).

I wonder if the eclipse version that ships with Jessie has improved.
Indexing .h files?
Switch the build configuration from Debug to Release for a collection of projects?
If these problems were fixed it would be a huge improvement.

Other applications I continually use are Texmaker, Gnuplot, Gnucash, Gimp, and OpenOffice. I assume no issues with these.

I look forward to your comments on working with Jessie+Xfce+Eclipse.
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Re: Preparing upgrade to Jessie

Postby somebodyelse » 2015-07-10 16:42

Icedove, Claws, Mutt. I use the first and have no experience of the others.

**edited out the t-bird**
Last edited by somebodyelse on 2015-07-10 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
somebodyelse

Postby fsmithred » 2015-07-10 17:00

Thunderbird in Debian is called Icedove.
Claws is good, and it's lighter weight than T-bird.
If you want gpg support for icedove, install enigmail.
I'm pretty sure that Claws will handle gpg (signing and encryption) but I don't remember what I had to do for that.
fsmithred

Postby Ardouos » 2015-07-10 17:03

From what I am saying is if you decide to run a straight upgrade from 7 to 8; rather than a wipe and load.

First I would read this:
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/ ... ng.en.html

When I upgrade my system I ensure that I upgrade in a tty environment without X running. I also remove all contrib and non-free firmware in order to make the experience as smooth as possible. This is because upgrading with just main/ free software is the most tested and guaranteed way for a swift upgrade.

Also.... Backup. Backup your root drive, your home directory and any important configuration files.

Clonezilla is generally recommended for this but you can use whatever you want...

I normally use clonezilla for my root directory and bzip my home directory.
Ardouos

Postby somebodyelse » 2015-07-10 18:11

Doh what was I thinking.
somebodyelse

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2015-08-16 15:19

Many thanks for all the helpful comments.

As part of my preparation, I am installing to an existing dual-boot windows+linux system, planning to change the linux os, keeping the windows os the same. I have now had a chance to run the live xfce install cd on the laptop and its desktop looks perfect for development. It also answers the question about an email client - mutt is included, as are most of the other standard applications I mentioned. I would still be interested in any experience with the latest Eclipse, if you have such.

During my attempts to install via the netinst cd I was faced with a situation during partitioning with partman that I could not resolve, and so abandoned the installation - without damage! The boot partition in partman is displayed thus:
Code: Select all
#2   primary   14.0 GB   B   ntfs

When I select this partition, I am required to specify how it is to be used, and presented with a list of possibilities including swap and ext3. But ntfs is not listed!

This partition contains the windows system and I do not want to disturb that. I have also examined the disk using gparted and it gives detailed size information and familiar mount points - the visual layout also inspires confidence! The installer manual section 3.5 suggests that one should pre-partition for a multi-boot system.

My general question:

Should I partition first with gparted and skip partitioning completely in the installer?

Many thanks in advance for your insights.
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Postby millpond » 2015-08-18 16:40

geoffkaniuk wrote:Many thanks for all the helpful comments.

As part of my preparation, I am installing to an existing dual-boot windows+linux system, planning to change the linux os, keeping the windows os the same. I have now had a chance to run the live xfce install cd on the laptop and its desktop looks perfect for development. It also answers the question about an email client - mutt is included, as are most of the other standard applications I mentioned. I would still be interested in any experience with the latest Eclipse, if you have such.

During my attempts to install via the netinst cd I was faced with a situation during partitioning with partman that I could not resolve, and so abandoned the installation - without damage! The boot partition in partman is displayed thus:

When I select this partition, I am required to specify how it is to be used, and presented with a list of possibilities including swap and ext3. But ntfs is not listed!

This partition contains the windows system and I do not want to disturb that. I have also examined the disk using gparted and it gives detailed size information and familiar mount points - the visual layout also inspires confidence! The installer manual section 3.5 suggests that one should pre-partition for a multi-boot system.

My general question:

Should I partition first with gparted and skip partitioning completely in the installer?

Many thanks in advance for your insights.

I would keep the latest Eclipse and Java 8 in /opt. This should allow for more flexibility to keep your own upgrade cycles. I havent tried it, but Netbeans *might* be a good alternative to Eclipse, though it uses a different set of libraries.
millpond

Postby spacex » 2015-08-18 21:20

geoffkaniuk wrote:During my attempts to install via the netinst cd I was faced with a situation during partitioning with partman that I could not resolve, and so abandoned the installation - without damage! The boot partition in partman is displayed thus:

This partition contains the windows system and I do not want to disturb that.

You are presented with an option you didn't mention, "DO NOT USE THE PARTITION". If you choose that, the partition won't be touched.
spacex

Return to General Discussion