What would you do??

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What would you do??

Postby jmgibson1981 » 2015-07-14 00:17

I was pure Linux for a few years now, it has a permanent place on my little server. I have recently gone back to Windows on my laptop with much anticipation to see Windows 10. However I am unsure of my choice, and can't decide what to do. I have no aversion to non foss software, sometimes the commercial solution wins. Just the way the world is. I cannot decide if I should keep my laptop with Linux, Debian 8 to be specific and virtualize Windows, or have Windows be the host with Debian in VirtualBox. I love both equally and they both have solid reasons to use them. Windows because I have 1 app that I cannot get to run under Wine, and there is no open source alternative (a religious library) and I am using Rosetta Stone to learn Spanish as fast as possible. Those 2 are the primary reasons though. I have a little server and I dislike having a non native way to talk to it (putty) and it is just limited in many ways. I have learned to do so much with scripts and such. Debian offers me freedom and a better environment to learn to code, a good support community, native way to communicate with my server + the all important virt-manager for kvm on my little server. I don't game outside of Minecraft rarely.

I just don't know what to do. I know it should be simple, just make a choice but I am very indecisive about this and as dumb as it sounds, it bothers me quite a bit having given up on Linux as a primary. What would you do?
jmgibson1981

Re: What would you do??

Postby Randicus » 2015-07-14 01:15

What anyone else would do is irrelevant. You must decide which system to use based on your needs and preferences.
Use whichever system meets your needs best. Only you are qualified to make that determination.
Randicus

Postby hudson » 2015-07-14 02:09

Personally, I like having a dual boot much better than running one OS in a virtual box. But then, I do neglect one and only use the other 90% of the time.
hudson

Postby dasein » 2015-07-14 02:14

+1 for dual-boot. No reason to create an artificial "either/or" when "both/and" is easily available.

Between the two virtual solutions, Windows guest in a Linux host wins hands down
dasein

Postby GarryRicketson » 2015-07-14 05:38

Well, if it was me, but it isn't. ... I would not bother with windows, I don't use it, nor need it.
But "dual" boot ,is what I think is best, VM s are not really all that good. Since I do like to
use various versions of debian, and 2 other distros, I put each one on its own partition, so
I have a "multi" boot system, which ever one I want to use , boots on the real HD.
GarryRicketson

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-07-14 07:03

Personally, I would also dual boot (and did, when I had Windows 10 on my other laptop).

If you are set on using VMS, I would say that Windows will need more in the way of resources and will be more demanding of hardware so I think it may make more sense to use Windows on the bare metal and run Debian in a VM.

However, if you have a discrete GPU you can use the VGA-passthrough option and run Windows in a VM with very good performance.
https://wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby somebodyelse » 2015-07-14 07:05

Duolingo is a web app and excellent for learning languages. It has Spanish (among others). It charges nothing and its stated business model is based on selling translations provided by users. It may be an adequate replacement for Rosetta Stone.
somebodyelse

Postby jmgibson1981 » 2015-07-14 15:26

Don't need pass through for Windows in my case. Just the library app and Rosetta. I discovered Duolingo after I had bought the 1-5 spanish package with rosetta :roll: at least I got it on sale I guess. I think I will follow Daesins advice. Linux host would be the better choice. Thank you for replies. It seems Linux is winning the question, if only by a small bit. For what it's worth I will go with Debian with KDE.
jmgibson1981

Postby WeLoveDebian » 2015-07-15 20:33

Recently I had to go to Windows to finish a 3D rendering job, but I learned that I could do the same under Debian. The crashes I was experiencing were caused by my own lack of experience with OpenCL packages, but after a few attempts I could work on Debian.

But then I decided to come to pure Debian, I can't stand non-foss software (specially US-based software) and I have been in battle with this for years.

Debian also has it's quirks. Recently Chromium pulled a binary blob without users' consent, and the Debian development team didn't take it out of the "Main" repo. I'm considering moving again.
WeLoveDebian

Postby hudson » 2015-07-15 20:40

WeLoveDebian wrote:I can't stand non-foss software (specially US-based software)

well...nothing beats Photoshop and Adobe Bridge! That's why I have a dual-boot 8)
hudson

Postby WeLoveDebian » 2015-07-15 21:39

hudson wrote:
WeLoveDebian wrote:I can't stand non-foss software (specially US-based software)

well...nothing beats Photoshop and Adobe Bridge! That's why I have a dual-boot 8)

That's subjective. I may like my car better, and you may like your car better, even though my car outperforms yours :lol:
WeLoveDebian

Postby GarryRicketson » 2015-07-15 22:24

well...nothing beats Photoshop and Adobe Bridge!

Totally disagree, "Image Magick", runs circles around "Photoshop", and is in the Debian repositories. Don't know about "Adobe Bridge" is , never heard of it.
That's subjective. I may like my car better, and you may like your car better, even though my car outperforms yours

I like my old volks wagon the best !.
GarryRicketson

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-07-16 06:35

GarryRicketson wrote:"Image Magick", runs circles around "Photoshop"

Much as I love imagemagick (and dislike Microsoft), it is not a competitor for Photoshop.

AFAIK, there are still no GNU/Linux programs that offer full CMYK support.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CM ... n_The_GIMP
Black Lives Matter

Head_on_a_Stick

Postby tomazzi » 2015-07-16 06:52

Inkscape does support CMYK quite well.
Odi profanum vulgus
tomazzi

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-07-16 07:04

tomazzi wrote:Inkscape does support CMYK quite well.

Thanks tomazzi :)

I'm wrong again...
:(
Black Lives Matter

Head_on_a_Stick

Next

Return to General Discussion