Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What would you do??

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
tomazzi

Re: What would you do??

#21 Post by tomazzi »

millpond wrote:Every new version of Win just creates unnecessary bloat that strains the hardware to make you 'upgrade' your machine.

Use the oldest Win version that satisfies your needs, and dual boot.
I dual boot this machine with XP.

Wine has been improving, and often win apps that are recalcitrant can be coaxed into working by copying over dlls/ocx files from the Win partition.
True.
millpond wrote: Linux is a programmer's OS bar none. But it has poor driver support.
Win is great for I\O and proprietary apps.
Not true.
In fact, linux kernel supports the overhelming majority of existing hardware - so definitely, this is not a "poor" support.
Moreover, almost all drivers for very old hardware are still easily available - unlike in case of windows, where the support is intentionally cutted, to force customers to buy a new hardware.
Exactly at the moment I'm using ~15 years old 3Com network adapter, which is supported by Wheezy out-of-the-box - because this old card is faster than that crap embedded into mainboard, and it's firmware-less, so it can't be compromised by firmware-based attacks.

Winblows has very poor I/O performance, especially when it comes to HDD - Linux is 20 years ahead in terms of storage device's transfer management. Technologies like NCQ and TRIM ATAPI extension were designed only to raise the poor performance of NTFS, which is just total crap.
Not to mension, that real-time I/O access is far easier and simpler to achieve in Linux.

Regards.

/Edit:
Regarding the question in topic:
Since I'm still writting apps for winblows (from time to time, if someone wants to pay for this) I have both XP and win7 installed in a VM.
IMO this is far better solution than using win as a host:
1. Even the latest version of winblows are somtimes damaged by updates, viruses, etc - VM offers differential backups, which are very slim, easy to manage and fast. No more broken winblows :)
2. Since linux as host is ten times faster and has better HDD and cache management, then winblows works much faster in a VM than as a host OS
/edit.
Odi profanum vulgus

spacex

#22 Post by spacex »

Dual-boot with a shared data-partition is what I would do.

millpond

#23 Post by millpond »

Winblows has very poor I/O performance, especially when it comes to HDD - Linux is 20 years ahead in terms of storage device's transfer management. Technologies like NCQ and TRIM ATAPI extension were designed only to raise the poor performance of NTFS, which is just total crap.
Not to mension, that real-time I/O access is far easier and simpler to achieve in Linux.

Regards.

/Edit:
Regarding the question in topic:
Since I'm still writting apps for winblows (from time to time, if someone wants to pay for this) I have both XP and win7 installed in a VM.
IMO this is far better solution than using win as a host:
1. Even the latest version of winblows are somtimes damaged by updates, viruses, etc - VM offers differential backups, which are very slim, easy to manage and fast. No more broken winblows :)
2. Since linux as host is ten times faster and has better HDD and cache management, then winblows works much faster in a VM than as a host OS
/edit.[/quote]

Traditionally I have had to boot to win for large file transfers across the network.
There was a bug, noted by many in the drivers that cuased some older 32 bit mobos to give glacial speeds even with addon lan cards.
But Jessie seems to have improved things.
On this system I am using the built in lan, and Jessie seems to have improved drive/drive transfer. On a par, if perhaps a bit slower than Win.
But it blazes using CIFS across the network. 50% faster not only than WIn, but faster than the ancient Netgear router can nominally support.
However, writing to the USB stick is at floppy speeds at best, making Jessie totally worthless for that function.

@zephyr

#24 Post by @zephyr »

@ jmgibson1981: Really the choice is yours, many dual boot with Linux and Windows. There are many here that Windows plays a sour note and rightly so. I have a copy of Windows XP, but use it as a coaster for drinks. A friend gave me a copy of Windows 10, a corporate version, and gave it back. I have no need or want to even see what it is all about. The press has been hard on Windows 10, it is all about privacy invasion from the word go, and so much built into it that you can't prevent it. I like XP, it was my final and last Windows and went to Debian 4 years ago. I am retired, and no need to use it at work anylonger, I can just remember all the freeze ups, and slow boot, and when it would just forever pause with that little spinning notification. I honestly don't understand why someone would use it at home, unless they are tethered work wise and require specific software. I have helped liberate many friends, and family members from Microsoft, really anyone I meet to help them escape the suffering. But, respect greatly a persons right to make a choice on what they think and feel what is right for them. Like being married to a wonderful person, then having an affair with the ex, it doesn't work. We should never forget why we left Windows.
ZephyrLinux

sckyless

#25 Post by sckyless »

To be honest, Win10 is better than Win 8/7 and it really worth a try. My suggestion is that stay withe one you are comfortable with. :D