Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What would you do??

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
jmgibson1981

What would you do??

#1 Post by jmgibson1981 »

I was pure Linux for a few years now, it has a permanent place on my little server. I have recently gone back to Windows on my laptop with much anticipation to see Windows 10. However I am unsure of my choice, and can't decide what to do. I have no aversion to non foss software, sometimes the commercial solution wins. Just the way the world is. I cannot decide if I should keep my laptop with Linux, Debian 8 to be specific and virtualize Windows, or have Windows be the host with Debian in VirtualBox. I love both equally and they both have solid reasons to use them. Windows because I have 1 app that I cannot get to run under Wine, and there is no open source alternative (a religious library) and I am using Rosetta Stone to learn Spanish as fast as possible. Those 2 are the primary reasons though. I have a little server and I dislike having a non native way to talk to it (putty) and it is just limited in many ways. I have learned to do so much with scripts and such. Debian offers me freedom and a better environment to learn to code, a good support community, native way to communicate with my server + the all important virt-manager for kvm on my little server. I don't game outside of Minecraft rarely.

I just don't know what to do. I know it should be simple, just make a choice but I am very indecisive about this and as dumb as it sounds, it bothers me quite a bit having given up on Linux as a primary. What would you do?

Randicus

Re: What would you do??

#2 Post by Randicus »

What anyone else would do is irrelevant. You must decide which system to use based on your needs and preferences.
Use whichever system meets your needs best. Only you are qualified to make that determination.

hudson

#3 Post by hudson »

Personally, I like having a dual boot much better than running one OS in a virtual box. But then, I do neglect one and only use the other 90% of the time.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

+1 for dual-boot. No reason to create an artificial "either/or" when "both/and" is easily available.

Between the two virtual solutions, Windows guest in a Linux host wins hands down

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well, if it was me, but it isn't. ... I would not bother with windows, I don't use it, nor need it.
But "dual" boot ,is what I think is best, VM s are not really all that good. Since I do like to
use various versions of debian, and 2 other distros, I put each one on its own partition, so
I have a "multi" boot system, which ever one I want to use , boots on the real HD.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Personally, I would also dual boot (and did, when I had Windows 10 on my other laptop).

If you are set on using VMS, I would say that Windows will need more in the way of resources and will be more demanding of hardware so I think it may make more sense to use Windows on the bare metal and run Debian in a VM.

However, if you have a discrete GPU you can use the VGA-passthrough option and run Windows in a VM with very good performance.
https://wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough
deadbang

somebodyelse

#7 Post by somebodyelse »

Duolingo is a web app and excellent for learning languages. It has Spanish (among others). It charges nothing and its stated business model is based on selling translations provided by users. It may be an adequate replacement for Rosetta Stone.

jmgibson1981

#8 Post by jmgibson1981 »

Don't need pass through for Windows in my case. Just the library app and Rosetta. I discovered Duolingo after I had bought the 1-5 spanish package with rosetta :roll: at least I got it on sale I guess. I think I will follow Daesins advice. Linux host would be the better choice. Thank you for replies. It seems Linux is winning the question, if only by a small bit. For what it's worth I will go with Debian with KDE.

WeLoveDebian

#9 Post by WeLoveDebian »

Recently I had to go to Windows to finish a 3D rendering job, but I learned that I could do the same under Debian. The crashes I was experiencing were caused by my own lack of experience with OpenCL packages, but after a few attempts I could work on Debian.

But then I decided to come to pure Debian, I can't stand non-foss software (specially US-based software) and I have been in battle with this for years.

Debian also has it's quirks. Recently Chromium pulled a binary blob without users' consent, and the Debian development team didn't take it out of the "Main" repo. I'm considering moving again.

hudson

#10 Post by hudson »

WeLoveDebian wrote:I can't stand non-foss software (specially US-based software)
well...nothing beats Photoshop and Adobe Bridge! That's why I have a dual-boot 8)

WeLoveDebian

#11 Post by WeLoveDebian »

hudson wrote:
WeLoveDebian wrote:I can't stand non-foss software (specially US-based software)
well...nothing beats Photoshop and Adobe Bridge! That's why I have a dual-boot 8)
That's subjective. I may like my car better, and you may like your car better, even though my car outperforms yours :lol:

GarryRicketson

#12 Post by GarryRicketson »

well...nothing beats Photoshop and Adobe Bridge!
Totally disagree, "Image Magick", runs circles around "Photoshop", and is in the Debian repositories. Don't know about "Adobe Bridge" is , never heard of it.
That's subjective. I may like my car better, and you may like your car better, even though my car outperforms yours
I like my old volks wagon the best !.

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

GarryRicketson wrote:"Image Magick", runs circles around "Photoshop"
Much as I love imagemagick (and dislike Microsoft), it is not a competitor for Photoshop.

AFAIK, there are still no GNU/Linux programs that offer full CMYK support.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CM ... n_The_GIMP
deadbang

tomazzi

#14 Post by tomazzi »

Inkscape does support CMYK quite well.
Odi profanum vulgus

Head_on_a_Stick

#15 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

tomazzi wrote:Inkscape does support CMYK quite well.
Thanks tomazzi :)

I'm wrong again...
:(
deadbang

thanatos_incarnate

#16 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Regarding original topic:
Well, are you sure you want to dual boot and have 2 systems just because of 1 programme? Why not just run Windows in a virtual machine and have it autostart the programme?
tomazzi wrote:Inkscape does support CMYK quite well.
It does? How so? I only know of the option to convert the created output files with an external command (ghostscript,...)

tomazzi

#17 Post by tomazzi »

thanatos_incarnate wrote: It does? How so? I only know of the option to convert the created output files with an external command (ghostscript,...)
It does, but it still have some problems with converting the output data to non-native formats. But, as You said, there is ghostscript and f.e. Scribus.
Practically full color space and color profile management is implemented, with the exception of few rather rarily used features, like f.e. compensation /simulation of target device pixel shape and orientation.

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

thanatos_incarnate

#18 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

tomazzi wrote: It does, but it still have some problems with converting the output data to non-native formats. But, as You said, there is ghostscript and f.e. Scribus.
Practically full color space and color profile management is implemented, with the exception of few rather rarily used features, like f.e. compensation /simulation of target device pixel shape and orientation.

Regards.
Do you mean that 1 plugin developed by this Portuguese guy which does PDF CMYK exports? It stopped working a long time ago. He wanted to make a new one that does more formats, but a working version is yet to be spotted.

I'll try with Ghostscript and do a howto maybe.

I used to do it by converting the file to TIFF with Gimp, but the file size were enormous.

tomazzi

#19 Post by tomazzi »

thanatos_incarnate wrote:Do you mean that 1 plugin developed by this Portuguese guy which does PDF CMYK exports?
No, I mean that Inkscape does support CMYK color space trough color profiles (with few limitations), only the function to export those data to PDF is not implemented. However the profiles can be saved without a problem in the native SVG format.
And for this only reason You need Scribus or ghostscript as postprocessors.

...And excluding the above problem, Inkscape produces just excelent PDF files :)

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

millpond

#20 Post by millpond »

Every new version of Win just creates unnecessary bloat that strains the hardware to make you 'upgrade' your machine.

Use the oldest Win version that satisfies your needs, and dual boot.
I dual boot this machine with XP.

Wine has been improving, and often win apps that are recalcitrant can be coaxed into working by copying over dlls/ocx files from the Win partition.

Linux is a programmer's OS bar none. But it has poor driver support.
Win is great for I\O and proprietary apps. But it is first and foremost a *virus*. Totally compromised by design.