Ecce Lennart

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: Ecce Lennart

Postby Sarge-in-charge » 2015-08-12 16:11

buntunub wrote:As a result of the status quo, you have modern Gnome 3 and Unity, which are probably OK for mobile platforms, but abysmal for Desktop use. Don't even get me started on the bafoonery of Windows 8 and 10, which are yet another clear example of "Devs gone wild".

Gnome 3 and Unity are vomit-inducing contraptions. Windows 8 and 10, the same thing.

This decade is going to be hell for the Desktop. Mobile is king, though.

I just had hoped the server arena was going to go through unscathed, and then systemd and kdbus happened.

The horror, the horror!
Sarge-in-charge

Postby spacex » 2015-08-12 16:25

Sarge-in-charge wrote:
buntunub wrote:As a result of the status quo, you have modern Gnome 3 and Unity, which are probably OK for mobile platforms, but abysmal for Desktop use. Don't even get me started on the bafoonery of Windows 8 and 10, which are yet another clear example of "Devs gone wild".

Gnome 3 and Unity are vomit-inducing contraptions. Windows 8 and 10, the same thing.

This decade is going to be hell for the Desktop. Mobile is king, though.

I just had hoped the server arena was going to go through unscathed, and then systemd and kdbus happened.

The horror, the horror!

Nah, W10 was fine as soon as I got rid of the menu entries for the apps, and added fullversion program for chrome, vlc, gimp and you name it. Works fine for me. The only tiles present, are the tiles that I use. But then again, I'm only using it for gaming, so I had to take advantage of the offer. That way my gaming needs is covered for the next 10 years or so.
spacex

Postby somebodyelse » 2015-08-12 16:33

My gaming needs are covered by icebreaker and 2048-qt :-)
somebodyelse

Postby Sarge-in-charge » 2015-08-12 20:46

somebodyelse wrote:My gaming needs are covered by icebreaker and 2048-qt :-)

My gaming need are covered with MAME and DOSbox. But I am old skool.
Sarge-in-charge

Postby Randicus » 2015-08-12 22:46

I do not choose my OS based on games. And I definitely would not buy a copy of Windows just to play games. Since OpenBSD is not a gaming system, I make due with the occasional game of tiles, for some reason incorrectly call mahjongg.
Randicus

Postby buntunub » 2015-08-12 23:26

Steam now has a Linux port that runs great on Wheezy. There are now so many games you can get on Steam that either have native Linux ports or run on Linux with no issues now that nobody can say Linux does not have great gaming support. If you have a gaming rig on Linux and can spare paying for a native Linux game, give Kerbal Space Program (64 bit Linux version) a try. It has better support on Linux than it does on Windows and has all the best elements of modern day gaming including incredible graphics.
buntunub

Postby spacex » 2015-08-13 00:12

Randicus wrote:I do not choose my OS based on games. And I definitely would not buy a copy of Windows just to play games. Since OpenBSD is not a gaming system, I make due with the occasional game of tiles, for some reason incorrectly call mahjongg.

I wouldn't buy a copy of windows either, but I have a crapload of licenses from my giant stack of laptops and desktop-pc's. I purchase defect ones and fix them up, just for fun. Some I set up in my network at home, some I give away, and some are just used for parts, and then it's only the license key that gets reused.

The current license on my self-built gaming-rig, is from this new Lenovo Laptop which came with a W8-license. Obviously I wiped it clean and installed Linux, but then I had a W8-license to spare :)

But actually, to be quite frank. If I was single, I would have stopped playing the game that requires Windows, just to get rid of Windows for good. But the wifey wont have it. She's demands Windows on at least one of them, so she can play sims, sstream netflix and use Photoshop.

But it's all fine for me. I have 3 laptops in tip top shape, and two self-built stationary desktop-pc's, so I'll manage to live with Windows on one of them. If I'm not gaming or streaming to my big-screen, then I prefer casually using the laptops halfway laying on the couch. Lazy you know. I never sit straight behind a desk. Not even in the office. I tilt my chair all the way back, and put the feet on the desk. Thank God for wireless keyboards :lol:
spacex

Postby somebodyelse » 2015-08-13 06:20

Actually, there are four reasons I don't have Steam:
1. My graphics card is a lowly intel. Since Frogatto runs poorly, there are unlikely to be many Steam games useable.
2. Steam is 32-bit on Debian. I have 64-bit. I'm not going to install a whole other architecture just for occasional game use.
3. It's non-free. I have non-free active for the broadcom wireless driver but other than that I use vrms to make sure everything comes from main. I don't even have virtualbox, which is now in contrib. RMS would be proud !
4. I'm just not a gamer. Don't blame the lack of games - blame the non-player.

It's not a Linux vs. Windows vs. Playstation thing. The only computers I have are 100% Linux now.
somebodyelse

Postby spacex » 2015-08-13 18:31

Sarge-in-charge wrote:

My gaming need are covered with MAME and DOSbox. But I am old skool.

Doesn't help me much. There is only one game ever made that interest me, and that is TrackMania. It sort of worked in Steam for a while, and I had my hopes up, but nope... Not good enough. No point playing it with bad graphics and missing functionality.

So Windows it is..., but that's no big deal. I always multiboot anyway, and if there are a windows partition among the 5-6 linux installation I have at that computer at any given time, then it's just fine. Heck, sometimes I have more than 10 installs at the same time, on the same computer, and if I add all my computers together, there could be 30 different OS and distros installed at the same time, so I should be able to live with one windows install to play trackmania :lol:
spacex

Postby arochester » 2015-08-13 18:52

I am locking this thread. The last several posts have nothing to do with the original post...
arochester

Previous

Return to General Discussion