Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linus Fires Latest Shot in GNOME Wars

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
synux

#91 Post by synux »

hellfire[bg] wrote:What do you mean by that?
I mean that in Konqueror (KDE's File Manager, Web Browser, Everything..) if you double-click a PDF file, it will instead of open the external application (KPDF) embed it into itself..

I guess a picture would make sense:

Do you now understand what I mean?
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

Pobega

#92 Post by Pobega »

for example an Address Bar and the ability to embed applications into itself (just like Konqueror would show a PDF file by embedding KPDF into it)
Mozplugger is a good tool for doing that. I don't personally use it but I've heard good things about it and Firefox.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

synux

#93 Post by synux »

Pobega wrote:
for example an Address Bar and the ability to embed applications into itself (just like Konqueror would show a PDF file by embedding KPDF into it)
Mozplugger is a good tool for doing that. I don't personally use it but I've heard good things about it and Firefox.
mozplugger isn't a good alternative to the Konqueror "embed" feature.. and mozplugger only works with browsers while Konqueror is a File Manager.. oh well.. :roll:

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#94 Post by Lavene »

synux wrote:At this point I would be very interested to know what you Gnome users would do if the Gnome project would be abandoned after this (Linus) KDE vs. Gnome fight..

Really.. this is like World War 2, but in the Linux world :cry:
No worries. The GNOME/ KDE 'war' is as old as the projects them selfs. It started when one group started developing a desktop with QT and another group went for GTK. And Linus has popped in and out of the 'war' several times during the years.

In this matter Linus is nothing more than yet another disgruntled user.

Tina

synux

#95 Post by synux »

Lavene wrote:
synux wrote:At this point I would be very interested to know what you Gnome users would do if the Gnome project would be abandoned after this (Linus) KDE vs. Gnome fight..

Really.. this is like World War 2, but in the Linux world :cry:
No worries. The GNOME/ KDE 'war' is as old as the projects them selfs. It started when one group started developing a desktop with QT and another group went for GTK. And Linus has popped in and out of the 'war' several times during the years.

In this matter Linus is nothing more than yet another disgruntled user.

Tina
Ok :oops:

DeanLinkous

#96 Post by DeanLinkous »

synux wrote: I mean that in Konqueror (KDE's File Manager, Web Browser, Everything..) if you double-click a PDF file, it will instead of open the external application (KPDF) embed it into itself..
Well I was going to make a long post but I will just go with - I do not like that feature at all. I dont want apps inside other apps. It is layers of complexity that cause problems.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Zen-Owl

#97 Post by Zen-Owl »

DeanLinkous wrote:
synux wrote: I mean that in Konqueror (KDE's File Manager, Web Browser, Everything..) if you double-click a PDF file, it will instead of open the external application (KPDF) embed it into itself..
Well I was going to make a long post but I will just go with - I do not like that feature at all. I dont want apps inside other apps. It is layers of complexity that cause problems.
No it doesn't :|

I've never had a problem with the KParts embedding themselves, they are very stable and versatile.
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side, and holds the universe together.

hellfire[bg]

#98 Post by hellfire[bg] »

I mean that in Konqueror (KDE's File Manager, Web Browser, Everything..) if you double-click a PDF file, it will instead of open the external application (KPDF) embed it into itself.
Well that must be an irony because back in the days when i used kde this was one of the things that annoyed me most. I spend some time to find a way to stopit but in the end i gave up.
It is layers of complexity that cause problems.
I`m not concerned that much about the technical side of this but about its useability. For example there were many times when i would want to open several photos at once. The problem was that every time i clicked on a picture it would open inside konqueror and this would eliminate the possibility to open multiple photos.
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

DeanLinkous

#99 Post by DeanLinkous »

Yea, I do not enjoy using anything that works in that manner. Can't stand it actually, even in windows I cannot stand when a pdf opens in the browser.

A complex system is by definition complex, anything complex has more points of failure than something simple.

But mostly I just do not like it. :D
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

0bm

#100 Post by 0bm »

I love Gnome. KDE's menu setup reminds me of windows, and that is a big turn-off.

bluesdog

#101 Post by bluesdog »

KDE and Gnome both have annoying default quirks.

I began using Gnome, but switched some time back when Gnome was experiencing growing pains, and one day just stopped working for me.

I've since become accustomed to KDE, although I've flirted briefly with fluxbox and enlightenment.

KDE is very configurable, and I'm comfortable with the customizations I've made on my machines.

btw, the kde default menu may be superficially similar to that 'other' os, but it can easily be changed.
I have my menu available anywhere on the desktop with a middle-mouse-button click.
The overall behaviour of the KDE menu is not at all like that of windows, imo, and is much easier to customize

Konqueror tries to do too many things, I agree, and it's difficult to change some of the default behaviours.
If you dislike Konqueror, but find KDE otherwise useful or appealing, try one of the other file managers, such as Krusader.

For me, mainly it's a matter of convenience and familiarity.
I realize KDE isn't the quickest DE, but on a fast processor with a gig of RAM, who cares?

I appreciate that Linux offers an immense variety of choice, and virtually infinite flexibility and customizeability..

The downside is the Linux community remains divided into little bickering cliques, with literally hundreds of slightly different distros, almost indistinguishable from each other.
imo, this fragmentation continues to prevent Linux from becoming a serious alternative to the Microsoft juggernaut.
Tips & Tricks

Something more to read while waiting

If you obviously have not read THIS, don't expect too much...

*winter bluesdog....*

Dargor

#102 Post by Dargor »

hellfire[bg] wrote: I`m not concerned that much about the technical side of this but about its useability. For example there were many times when i would want to open several photos at once. The problem was that every time i clicked on a picture it would open inside konqueror and this would eliminate the possibility to open multiple photos.
thats why you have tabs

Xylock

#103 Post by Xylock »

I think both KDE & Gnome are ugly, and bloated to boot.

fluxbox ftw.

TY Linus for linux, I use it for the freedom it brings. The freedom of choice. My choice.

3 cheers for personal choice!!
Using rm -rvf * to remove old backups... lazy.
Realising you were in / as root ... priceless.

land0

KDE vs GNOME

#104 Post by land0 »

I think you will find that most of the polish that people talk about in KDE is distro specific but that has just been my experience. Maybe KDE4 will unify it in the base like they claim, but I am just not seeing it yet. I am hearing a lot of talk about it though and talk is..... good right. ;)

In the end it all comes down to two things. What do you need to do? How do you want to do it? I think the fact that we have a choice in the matter is amazing. I use a mix of software from both KDE and GNOME. I try all of the different DE's now and then. But when it comes to getting my work done I use GNOME.

However I was playing with xfce last night and I have to say I am pretty impressed. I personally like less clutter and a simple streamlined interfaces. I am a sucker for the smooooth .svg graphics and simple theming. That is not to say that KDE is bad. I just prefer a D.E. that does not get in the way. Kind of like Linus feels about the kernel that it should be transparent and do its job without complaining. :)