Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DebConf 15 videos

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
somebodyelse

DebConf 15 videos

#1 Post by somebodyelse »

These are up at http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/ ... debconf15/

They are also up at a major advertising and data company's video/adverts site if you prefer to watch them there.

somebodyelse

Re: DebConf 15 videos

#2 Post by somebodyelse »

The "Meet the Technical Committee" session video is worth watching.

somebodyelse

#3 Post by somebodyelse »

I saw this and was outraged. Not by the topic (Racoons have "needs" after all) but by the mp4 proprietary format !

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

somebodyelse wrote:mp4
:shock:

How could they...
*shakes head sadly*

Thanks for the link, very interesting!
:)
deadbang

somebodyelse

#5 Post by somebodyelse »

http://saimei.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-mee ... Usage.webm
Jacob Appelbaum Keynote. 47 minutes in, he talks a little about systemd.

In the interests of keeping this forum sane, I would ask that anyone who does want to discuss systemd in the light of Jacob Appelbaum's comments on it does so within an existing systemd thread e.g. "The Future of systemd." Thank you.

buntunub

#6 Post by buntunub »

So I watched most of those presentations and I have to admit that they are confusing and some of them so badly presented that even though I watched the entire video, at the end of it I was still asking, "what was this presentation about?". There was even one presentation where the guy wrote presentation notes on emacs and then sometimes explained what the notes were about, and sometimes didn't. Just awful. I also watched the New User presentation and I noticed that there was almost nobody in the audience, and it was actually a decent presentation with good ideas discussed. Now on to the systemd presentation which actually was not that bad - clearly presented topics, not too much use of slides/overhead, etc. I found it interesting how they talked about the shim and the hidden dependancy that does the stealth install of systemd without your consent. All very interesting stuff.

somebodyelse

#7 Post by somebodyelse »

New to DebConf BoF or New Members BoF? Can't find a new user talk.

I've been watching quite a few of the videos and I thought they were good. Ok, some of the presenting is a bit amateurish but I'd rather good developers with mediocre communication skills than mediocre developers with good communication skills.

All in all, it seems to have been a well put together and successful DebConf. The most attended since Argentina apparently!

buntunub

#8 Post by buntunub »

somebodyelse wrote:New to DebConf BoF or New Members BoF? Can't find a new user talk.
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/ ... s_BOF.webm

Good developers tend to be more thorough and detail oriented, the same as good presenters. So the two should go hand in hand, as I have found. I think the only disconnect is a quick trip to Google on "presentation techniques".

somebodyelse

#9 Post by somebodyelse »

Maybe but it's not so easy to become a member. Or not direct in any case. All the people in that room who want to become new members will need to prove prior Debian involvement and the room was full.

buntunub

#10 Post by buntunub »

somebodyelse wrote:Maybe but it's not so easy to become a member. Or not direct in any case.
And that is such a sad fact pointing to the sorry state of Debian these days.
somebodyelse wrote:and the room was full.
Not from what I saw, but maybe my eyesight is worth than I thought.

somebodyelse

#11 Post by somebodyelse »

It is appropriate. I am very much committed to Debian but I need to be able to demonstrate a lot more actual involvement in the project before I can expect to be a member of the project. You don't need to be a member to be involved. But you do need to be involved to be a member. That is as it should be.

In the video, I saw one empty chair. Remember, these are future members of the project, not people simply helping out.

This is the most attended DebConf since 2008. That's quite healthy, no?

Sorry about systemd but it's not the only issue. When somebody like Jacob Appelbaum whose security concerns border on the paranoid says that systemd is generally ok, I sit up and listen. Ok, I get that that's not enough for you. But then enjoy your Devuan or your BSD and let me enjoy my Debian.

alansmithee

#12 Post by alansmithee »

somebodyelse wrote:When somebody like Jacob Appelbaum whose security concerns border on the paranoid says that systemd is generally ok, I sit up and listen.
The two features that Mr Appelbaum mentioned when addressing systemd -- handling nefarious USB devices and isolation between processes -- existed 8 and 14 years ago respectively. I'm not sure why they should particularly be considered "systemd features".

I very much enjoyed Bradley Kuhn's talk. I think his warnings against Debian becoming coopted by corporate interests (or at least succumbing to their allure) are spot on, though a year or two too late.
'alansmithee' is the user formerly known as 'saulgoode'.

somebodyelse

#13 Post by somebodyelse »

Maybe but he is not he saying "systemd??? Everybody out!!!"

somebodyelse

#14 Post by somebodyelse »

Bradley Kuhn's talk is indeed great. I only learned of his existence three weeks ago :-) http://gensho.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-mee ... eedom.webm