Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to live on Gnome with Battery notification

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
G-Known

How to live on Gnome with Battery notification

#1 Post by G-Known »

Hi everyone,

Gnome 3 decided that there won't be a battery notification because it seems they are either catering to desktop users or people have a good awareness of their battery level for laptop users. In either case, have anyone find an alternative on living inside the gnome shell without its battery notifications? As long as I'm aware that there's a pop-up that says my battery is critically low.
Debian Jessie
Asus Zenbook UX305FA-ASM1
Intel Core M 5Y10; Intel HD Graphics 5300

thanatos_incarnate

Re: How to live on Gnome with Battery notification

#2 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

I cannot find this news bit anywhere. Can you give us a link for your claim?

G-Known

#3 Post by G-Known »

G-Known wrote:
Gnome 3 decided that there won't be a battery notification because it seems they are either catering to desktop users or people have a good awareness of their battery level for laptop users.
That was suppose to be an assumption base on the absence of this feature but if there's proof somewhere that battery notification hasn't disappear then this statement would be wrong. On the contrary, this isn't the case.
Debian Jessie

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I'm pretty sure there is a notification.

I remember threads asking if the percentage thresholds could be changed.
deadbang

G-Known

#5 Post by G-Known »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I'm pretty sure there is a notification.

I remember threads asking if the percentage thresholds could be changed.
I'm referring to the notification that alert the user when the battery is critically low.
Debian Jessie

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

thanatos_incarnate wrote:I cannot find this news bit anywhere. Can you give us a link for your claim?
I couldn't find anything that says much on this definitely, the OP does not or can not
show where this gossip , came from.
I don't like Gnome,especially the newer versions, and am not going to try it just to see,
But I am sure there is some sort of low battery notification.
https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.16/

This image shows, a battery management thingy, I think that is what it is.
https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-not ... isuals.png

Looking at that, it is beyond me why anyone would want to use this kind desktop and display, it is horrible, awful, total bad taste. What are all those little pictures for ? but that would be another topic.
Honestly, if it does not have the kind battery notification that is desired, why not just use a display manager, desktop that does have the feature desired.

somebodyelse

#7 Post by somebodyelse »

There's this. The battery symbol level turns red when critically low. Do you need something more explicit?

G-Known

#8 Post by G-Known »

Yes, do you remember Gnome 2 battery notification? It will pop up and says that there's the battery is at a critical level and also Gnome 3 doesn't allow you to edit the values. I wanted to charge my battery during a certain percentage not when it's colored red.
Debian Jessie

G-Known

#9 Post by G-Known »

GarryRicketson wrote:But I am sure there is some sort of low battery notification.
https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.16/

This image shows, a battery management thingy, I think that is what it is.
https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-not ... isuals.png

Looking at that, it is beyond me why anyone would want to use this kind desktop and display, it is horrible, awful, total bad taste. What are all those little pictures for ? but that would be another topic.
Honestly, if it does not have the kind battery notification that is desired, why not just use a display manager, desktop that does have the feature desired.
There's also that, but what I'm looking for looks like this. Gnome has a notification menu but it has no power tab available.

I've tried installing battery-status from source but it doesn't seem to work in Gnome 3.
Debian Jessie

somebodyelse

#10 Post by somebodyelse »

Well it's not ideal but before it goes red, the battery icon level still varies. Use MATE?

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

I've tried installing battery-status from source but it doesn't seem to work in Gnome 3.

I don't know about Gnome, any more.
Mate, has this, and it shows the percentage, at the moment mine is 100%

The scary part, when I was looking at the gnome site, and the review, all sorts of
"features" , but where is the command prompt, ? Looks a lot like a windows screen
to me, I wouldn't be able to use a display manager like that.
Any way, mate does have a little battery up in the right hand corner, where it does not bother anything, and it is easy to just "hover" the mouse on it, it will show what percentage of charge the batter has, if it is discharging, etc.
---------------
Sorry that is not much help, but yes, Gnome , used to be better,
How to live on Gnome with Battery notification ?
You don't have to live with it.

keithpeter

#12 Post by keithpeter »

XFCE4 version 4.10 the xfce4-power-manager 'Extended' tab has a setting called "Consider the computer on low power at:" and there is a 'bump box' that allows you to enter a percentage. I've set mine to 15%.

The xfce4-power-manager 'On Battery' has a setting "When battery power is critical" and a drop down list allowing you to choose between Nothing, Suspend, Hibernate, Shutdown, Ask. I set the 'suspend' option.

The difference in language between the two tabs is not unusual but they do work together. When the battery hits 15%, the laptop suspends to RAM. It will be OK on suspend for about two days at that charge level. The 'Ask' choice would give you a notification from the battery panel item, not the usual notification balloon thingy.

Have I understood the requirement correctly?

Roel63

#13 Post by Roel63 »

GarryRicketson wrote:The scary part, when I was looking at the gnome site, and the review, all sorts of "features" , but where is the command prompt, ? Looks a lot like a windows screen to me, I wouldn't be able to use a display manager like that.
I don't want to jump into defense but the windows-like screen is not something that is displayed all the time when running Gnome3, only when invoking the menu by pressing windows-button or pushing the mouse pointer to the left upper corner. I barely saw it when running it because I got used to typing the first letters of the application I wished to use and entered on the appearing icon. In that way also the terminal could be invoked.

Just want to say, it isn't all bad.

On topic: the battery icon turns red indeed.

thanatos_incarnate

#14 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Troll!

First of all, this is not an assumption. It reads like a clear statement:
G-Known wrote:Gnome 3 decided that there won't be a battery notification because it seems they are either catering to desktop users or people have a good awareness of their battery level for laptop users.
Yet there are no links to back any of this up.

Also, where does it say that this feature is absent? I can't produce a screenshot right now, but look at what I've found on the Internet (lowest image):

GarryRicketson

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

Post by thanatos_incarnate » 2015-08-27 01:39

Troll!
+1
Even though I do not particularly like Gnome any more,
thanatos_incarnate » First of all, this is not an assumption. -------
------It reads like a clear statement:Yet there are no links to back any of this up.
It is not right to just make off the wall statements, like that, any way,
there do seem to be plenty of ways to make your GNOME 3 have the "features", etc. that you want,..
key words=
how to customize gnome 3 to suite my needs
https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/7 ... -efficient
@
by Roel63 »Just want to say, it isn't all bad.
I agree, it isn't all that bad, but the "out of the box" samples they use, are. Any way
Gnome can be "tweaked" to be made more like what the OP seem to want, but then making the statement,
Gnome 3 decided that there won't be a battery notification
Is not the same as asking, "How can I make the battery notification on Gnome 3, show ? " or "How can I make the battery notification on GNOME 3 display in a % format", A little searching confirms, the statement is not true, the notification is available, can be setup to display in a % format.

G-Known

#16 Post by G-Known »

My position is they don't have a notification (pop ups, modifiable values), which is why it seems they are made for desktop. There are no articles from Gnome that would indicate that the current notification is similar with Gnome 2.

Normally, there's a schema that exist on the dconf-tool to input values for critical battery value but that don't exist.

Sure, there's a icon there that shows the percentage but what good will it do when you can't change it?
Debian Jessie

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=122364

To quote OpenBSD: shut up & hack...
:twisted:
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#18 Post by GarryRicketson »

Might be a good idea to read this carefully also:
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
Seems that 2 topics have been started, basicly on the same subject. That makes it confusing to everyone.

hhh

#19 Post by hhh »

thanatos_incarnate wrote:Troll!...

Also, where does it say that this feature is absent? I can't produce a screenshot right now, but look at what I've found on the Internet (lowest image):

If you had linked your source, we could see that was a proposal, not an implementation...
https://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2014/06/05/notify-me/

There's no documentation that says this feature is present in 3.14 that I can find.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=195391

millpond

#20 Post by millpond »

http://askubuntu.com/questions/69556/ho ... g-terminal

With a little bit of hacking those shell scripts can be demonized and pop up a zenity window whenever the battery gets below any desired level.