su limitations and systemd

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: su limitations and systemd

Postby alansmithee » 2015-08-31 12:42

keithpeter wrote:(I am assuming that the su - command will remain for human users as it is a separate command so that the machinectl shell is an additional feature for the devops types, in which case we can all stop mumbling into our beards :twisted:)
The beard mumbling is not that someone implemented a new command that did something he wanted to do in a manner in which he wanted it done; it is his declaring any command that doesn't do what he wanted to do and/or not in a manner which he wanted it done must somehow be a "broken concept".
'alansmithee' is the user formerly known as 'saulgoode'.
alansmithee

Postby Danielsan » 2015-08-31 16:42

Why didn't they call it systemb(org)?

I think is more appropriate!
Danielsan

Postby buntunub » 2015-08-31 23:40

At this point it is not about su being broken or not (it absolutely is not), but the monstrosity that is systemd gobbling every thing that is in userland and its eventual grab for the kernel as well until it is all part of Lennarts new OS called systemd. I really do not think anyone gives a sh#t if he does that so long as there is some way to revert the damage he is doing to linux as a whole with the dependancy problems. Since more and more upstream projects are now developing with/for systemd integration, that is becoming more and more remote.
buntunub

Postby keithpeter » 2015-09-01 09:27

alansmithee wrote:
keithpeter wrote:(I am assuming that the su - command will remain for human users as it is a separate command so that the machinectl shell is an additional feature for the devops types, in which case we can all stop mumbling into our beards :twisted:)
The beard mumbling is not that someone implemented a new command that did something he wanted to do in a manner in which he wanted it done; it is his declaring any command that doesn't do what he wanted to do and/or not in a manner which he wanted it done must somehow be a "broken concept".

I accept your point. The gentleman's language is unfortunate sometimes, and some of his statements may come back to haunt him in the future. RHEL 7 is still in its early versions. Bulk deployment will start over the next few years. We shall see what new bugs crawl out as systems based on the newer versions of systemd enter large scale service. The acid test will be in how quickly they get fixed.

It appears the machinectl shell command isn't replacing the venerable su - but is in addition.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 01290.html
keithpeter

Previous

Return to General Discussion