Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

the awesomeness that is laptop-mode-tools

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: the awesomeness that is laptop-mode-tools

#1 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Thanks for sharing this!
:)
wizard10000 wrote:this increased battery life by about half
Very impressive!

I only ever got an extra half an hour (~10%) from laptop-mode-tools or `powertop --auto-tune` :(
deadbang

stevepusser

#2 Post by stevepusser »

You also may want to play around with tlp...
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Anyway, it was fun. Now I need another project :)
This was pretty good I didn't have any questions, or comments, but was following it,..
How are you skills on networking, conecting to VPN, and NAS servers, ?

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Networking, not bad if I do say so myself. Not great, but not bad :)

Have extremely limited experience with openconnect and most NAS is pretty simple.
OOPs, sorry, I kind of forgot I had asked, my reason, was there was a question asked here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=124887 but I was not able to help much, but also the OP has not been back now for several days,..any way was kind of wondering if you might know anything on that,,...
Of course, I should have figured out that offlining half the cores on this CPU while they were under load probably wouldn't make the machine happy. Oh, well - if you don't break something once in awhile you're not trying hard enough. Lesson learned
A long time ago, I almost trashed a 500gb usb portable hd, that was mostly my backups, but also bootable, and had a OS on it,.by unplugging it, with out thinking, instead of "safely disconect" or "umount",...it took some effort, but with a very long script, written by a guy helping me, we did actually "unfreeze"it, and got it working, with no data loss what so ever,..but when I entered the code he had given me, and hit enter, it started making noises, groaning, and then the computer as well,..then it finally unlocked,..and mounted properly, :D after that, I was able to shutdown safely, and from there everything worked fine.

michapma

#5 Post by michapma »

wizard10000 wrote:Debian doesn't have a wiki entry for laptop-mode-tools
wizard10000 wrote:Since Debian doesn't have a wiki article on this here's a link to Arch's - file locations are a little different but the basics are there.
wizard10000 wrote:Anyway, just thought I'd share; I'm pretty happy with the result.
Since I don’t know, I have to ask: What are the requirements for creating and writing an entry for the Debian wiki? Why not write an initial wiki entry on laptop-mode-tools as your next project?

michapma

#6 Post by michapma »

Glad you took to the idea! :wink:

Would you post here or PM me if/when done? I’d like to take a look, though I probably won’t test it.

Arthos

#7 Post by Arthos »

Thanks for the post but I have to ask:

I have seen quite a few people linking to the Arch wiki and Arch packages, is the Arch wiki really a good place to learn about Debian? It seems odd when we laugh at users who mix repos (and have an entire thread for doing just that http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114130) yet link to an entirely different OS's wiki.
root is my account - http://www.garyshood.com/root/

mor

#8 Post by mor »

Don't confuse "mixing repos" with reading, and learning, from documentation written for other distros.
Mixing repos is almost always a bad idea, especially for those who do not possess a clear understanding of the nature of such repos, while reading documentation is almost always a good idea, regardless of the distro, that's why there is quite a unanimous disapproval for the practice of repo mixing and not many issues with people reading documentation from reputable sources.

And Arch's body of documentation, in fact, happens to be one of the best, if not the best (Gentoo also is exquisite), and most comprehensive of the entire world of distros.
Not only we link to it when we know of a pertinent article that may help understanding a problem, but we also just trustfully suggest to go look in it for info about many things that are not covered well or are outdated elsewhere.

Don't think that users are sent to the Arch Wiki to learn about Debian: on many subjects, "the knowledge" doesn't need to be necessarily distro-specific.

It goes without saying that there are fundamental differences between Arch and Debian and so one cannot follow blindly the instructions found there if he is on a Debian system, but with a grain of salt "translating" from Arch to Debian should be fairly easy.

Bye

Arthos

#9 Post by Arthos »

I had a thought similar to this, that while mixing the AUR with jessie is likely a bad idea (along with testing and sid repos)

Reading Arch documentation isn't a bad idea since the userbase constantly shouts 'Arch teaches you everything about Linux'
root is my account - http://www.garyshood.com/root/