Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ZTE MF823 data dongle

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
rovernut

ZTE MF823 data dongle

#1 Post by rovernut »

This is just an FYI. I was in England a while back for a month and the place I was staying didn't have broadband so I picked up a ZTE MF823 4G dongle from Three to use with my Thinkpad T430.
Couldn't have been easier, just plugged it in and it showed up as a wired connection. This was with Wheezy.

I don't know about other dongles, this is the first I've ever used, but it has a decent built in web server so it's easy to check your data usage, send and receive text messages. It also worked fine when all I had was 3G.
For anyone else in a similar situation, about Three, they are pretty easy to deal with. The dongle is only available with a contract, but they do 1 month contracts, which worked fine in my case it just mean I had to buy the dongle for £39, the £15 for 5gb of data.
I guess it may sound like a lot, but my TP isn't WWAN enabled and this was cheaper than adding the bits to use a SIM in my laptop.
Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.