Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

NEED HELP PLEASE

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
VIICCommander

NEED HELP PLEASE

#1 Post by VIICCommander »

Hi I install the catalyst 15 drivers, now i cannot get into gui, just a black screen with cursor (Debian 8 Jessie). I'm new to Linux. Need help please.

stevepusser

Re: NEED HELP PLEASE

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Also a very poor thread title--please change it to something a bit more specific.

"Black screen after installing AMD graphic drivers from AMD website"

Since you didn't bother searching here for the other bazillion threads about exactly the same question, did you set up an xorg configuration file?
MX Linux packager and developer

kmathern

Re: NEED HELP PLEASE

#4 Post by kmathern »

The o.p. didn't note whether he's using gnome or some other desktop, but there's also this item in the Jessie release notes about gnome and the amd proprietary fglrx driver:
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/ ... nome-fglrx

5.11. The GNOME desktop does not work with the AMD proprietary FGLRX driver

Unlike other OpenGL drivers, the AMD FGLRX driver for Radeon adapters does not support the EGL interface. As such, several GNOME applications, including the core of the GNOME desktop, will not start at all when this driver is in use.

It is recommended to use the free radeon driver, which is the default in jessie, instead.
I don't use gnome and don't know how the failure presents itself, as a black screen with flashing cursor like the o.p. mentions, or if it fails in a slightly more user friendly manner.