Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New to debian and problems identifying partitions

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
fogpipe

New to debian and problems identifying partitions

#1 Post by fogpipe »

Coming from slackware and i installed debian stretch on a partition. I had lilo on /dev/sda5 with slack and debian on /dev/sda1.
The debian init kept mistaking /dev/sdb1 for /dev/sda1 and wouldnt boot sometimes, till i provided lilo with a UUID,
then all was fine for a while till it lost my home and swap partitons.
When that happend i got a message at boot that a "start job was running for device-sda6" and sda7 because on unmet dependencies.
I have been using linux for about 20 years and have never seen anything like that, is that a systemd thing? Is systemd going to insist on UUID numbers now instead of device names for partitions?
Anyway, im having fun with testing, just rough enough around the edges to be interesting and getting used to a new distro is always a new adventure and im happy to have found the forum.
What do you all think the most stable desktop environment is in testing ? i have been using rox and fluxbox for about 10 years with a bunch of scripts i have written to extend it a little bit and while its rock steady, im in the mood for a change.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: New to debian and problems identifying partitions

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

fogpipe wrote:What do you all think the most stable desktop environment is in testing ?
dwm installed from source
http://dwm.suckless.org/

Please post your fstab and the output of:

Code: Select all

# parted -l
# blkid
systemctl --failed
deadbang

fogpipe

#3 Post by fogpipe »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
fogpipe wrote:What do you all think the most stable desktop environment is in testing ?
dwm installed from source
http://dwm.suckless.org/

Please post your fstab and the output of:

# parted -l
# blkid
systemctl --failed
Thank you for offering to help but i have decided that stretch/sid is a little rough around the edges for me. Systemd seems to have trouble with mounting drives and last night it failed to mount /dev/sdb and at the same time failed to start the network. i am using a testing version so maybe the stable product is better. So im switching to jessie.

michapma

#4 Post by michapma »

fogpipe wrote:Thank you for offering to help but i have decided that stretch/sid is a little rough around the edges for me. Systemd seems to have trouble with mounting drives and last night it failed to mount /dev/sdb and at the same time failed to start the network. i am using a testing version so maybe the stable product is better. So im switching to jessie.
Yeah, unstable has its ups and downs; I think it’s aptly named.

Even unstable can become boring if you have limited use of programs. I started using unstable as the daily OS on my laptop several months ago, but I haven’t hit any issues nearly as serious as you describe. The worst was that a increasing number of packages were blocked for a few weeks until I decided to rip out some third-party 32-bit packages that were causing the issue.
None of them are stable, they are always changing as they regularly receive updates. That’s the sense of stability when applied to the stable release. Probably you mean reliable, in the sense of fault-free operation, i.e., not crashing?

HuangLao

#5 Post by HuangLao »

Hello fellow Slacker,

why not run stable or testing? unstable on Debian is quite unstable.

Most stable DE (if you want a full DE and not just a WM) is Xfce, IMO of course. If you want just a WM, then you should be familiar with fluxbox.

millpond

#6 Post by millpond »

fogpipe wrote:Coming from slackware and i installed debian stretch on a partition. I had lilo on /dev/sda5 with slack and debian on /dev/sda1.
The debian init kept mistaking /dev/sdb1 for /dev/sda1 and wouldnt boot sometimes, till i provided lilo with a UUID,
then all was fine for a while till it lost my home and swap partitons.
When that happend i got a message at boot that a "start job was running for device-sda6" and sda7 because on unmet dependencies.
I have been using linux for about 20 years and have never seen anything like that, is that a systemd thing? Is systemd going to insist on UUID numbers now instead of device names for partitions?
Anyway, im having fun with testing, just rough enough around the edges to be interesting and getting used to a new distro is always a new adventure and im happy to have found the forum.
What do you all think the most stable desktop environment is in testing ? i have been using rox and fluxbox for about 10 years with a bunch of scripts i have written to extend it a little bit and while its rock steady, im in the mood for a change.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 01366.html

Lennart is apparently trying to deprecate fstab.

fogpipe

#7 Post by fogpipe »

HuangLao wrote:Hello fellow Slacker,

why not run stable or testing? unstable on Debian is quite unstable.

Most stable DE (if you want a full DE and not just a WM) is Xfce, IMO of course. If you want just a WM, then you should be familiar with fluxbox.
Hi :)
Yeah i have been using a fluxbox/rox-filer combo for about the last 10 not least because its rock solid and also fast as all get out.

fogpipe

#8 Post by fogpipe »

millpond wrote: https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 01366.html

Thats bad news. Many is the time i have had to fix it and its a simple and easy thing to do if you have a text editor.
If systemd is going to require that drives be named after UUIDs he has certainly managed to at least obfuscate fstab, a good first step i guess if you want to make it obsolete.
I never had to use UUIDs before and it really bugs me because this is exactly the kind of job computers are meant to handle without human intervention. If i can type "blkid /device" at a prompt and hit enter to get a UUID why doesnt the init system do that for me?

HuangLao

#9 Post by HuangLao »

fstab is just another example of how systemd is really becoming the "core Linux OS", and never had anything to do with init. Whether you like it or hate it, its the current direction Linux is going.

millpond

#10 Post by millpond »

fogpipe wrote:
millpond wrote: https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 01366.html

Thats bad news. Many is the time i have had to fix it and its a simple and easy thing to do if you have a text editor.
If systemd is going to require that drives be named after UUIDs he has certainly managed to at least obfuscate fstab, a good first step i guess if you want to make it obsolete.
I never had to use UUIDs before and it really bugs me because this is exactly the kind of job computers are meant to handle without human intervention. If i can type "blkid /device" at a prompt and hit enter to get a UUID why doesnt the init system do that for me?
Advice:

apt-get install systemd-shim
Paralyse the booger.

If you can type

systemctl
And if it cant find d-bus, then you know the shim is working, and systemd aint.

fogpipe

#11 Post by fogpipe »

millpond wrote:
fogpipe wrote: Paralyse the booger.
I might eventually. In the meantime its an easy target and i have always been entertained by the absurd :)