Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Giving up on stretch/sid and going to jessie

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
fogpipe

Giving up on stretch/sid and going to jessie

#1 Post by fogpipe »

Systemd wins, I rebooted last night and my network woulndt work, everything was there and route -n looked ok and the interface was up and nothing. At the same boot it had lost my second drive /dev/sdb so my guess is that failing to mount a drive started some cascade of failed dependencies that resulted in my network not working as well.
I have heard great things about debian stable so hopefully i have seen my last "start job" and "stop job" (fast boot my ass).

Randicus

Re: Giving up on stretch/sid and going to jessie

#2 Post by Randicus »

You are giving up Testing/Unstable, because you have heard good things about Stable? Methinks you did it backwards. With any system, most people start with the stable version, and after becoming familiar with it move on to a testing version if they so desire. But to each their own of course.

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

I have heard great things about debian stable
When I installed Debian "stable" it was wheezy, and it has been fine, still is also,...
I also have tried the "newer" debian "stable" (Jessie), I keep them separate , on separate partitions,..for some various reasons, mostly I use the Wheezy partition,.. but on the other hand, when I recently bought a new printer, that actually runs better, and was easier to get running on the Jessie partition,..But any way, they both seem to be pretty "stable",...if I wanted to experiment,and test the "newest" "shiniest" ,..etc, well , I would do that on a entirely different computer, one that I did not use for anything important, or to keep important data.
Systemd wins, I rebooted last night and my network woulndt work,
Or do mean "loses" ?, that is the main reason I do not use Jessie much, I have to re-configure the networking, every time I boot, it is not that hard, but kind of "annoying",..since "wheezy" does not have this problem, and I am kind of "lazy" (have not gotten around to trying to fix the problem on Jessie), mostly cause, Wheezy works fine, another thing, all though "wheezy" did include a directory, that is called "systemd", it is not being used, it still uses system init,...
I do not know for sure if it is a systemd issue, or "network manager" problem, on Jessie, or perhaps both ??
Just saying, in a nut shell, you may be disappointed with Jessie as well, but don't get me wrong, in many ways it is great, ,.. like how easy it was to install the printer software, the packages needed were in the current Debian stable repositories, and everything went smoothly,..
If you want to avoid needing to install non free firmware, etc,.. MX-14 is based on Debian Wheezy, and is easy to install, the "networking" works right out of the box,..
so any way, "each to his own" ....

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

GarryRicketson wrote:MX-14 is based on Debian Wheezy, and is easy to install, the "networking" works right out of the box,..
Just a shout-out to MX-15, which happens to be based on Jessie. I gave it a try yesterday and was very impressed.

The antiX folks are doing a great job carrying on the "it just works" traditions of MEPIS.

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Thanks, I have not been in "touch" with them lately, did not realize it was released !
And if anyone is wondering,
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/ for
More details .

fogpipe

#6 Post by fogpipe »

Randicus wrote:You are giving up Testing/Unstable, because you have heard good things about Stable? Methinks you did it backwards. With any system, most people start with the stable version, and after becoming familiar with it move on to a testing version if they so desire. But to each their own of course.
I think slackware -current skewed my perception a bit. Its very stable, apparently someone else does the testing before it gets to the changelog :)

fogpipe

#7 Post by fogpipe »

GarryRicketson wrote: Or do mean "loses" ?, that is the main reason I do not use Jessie much, I have to re-configure the networking, every time I boot, it is not that hard, but kind of "annoying",..since "wheezy" does not have this problem, and I am kind of "lazy" (have not gotten around to trying to fix the problem on Jessie), mostly cause, Wheezy works fine, another thing, all though "wheezy" did include a directory, that is called "systemd", it is not being used, it still uses system init,...
I do not know for sure if it is a systemd issue, or "network manager" problem, on Jessie, or perhaps both ??
Just saying, in a nut shell, you may be disappointed with Jessie as well, but don't get me wrong, in many ways it is great, ,.. like how easy it was to install the printer software, the packages needed were in the current Debian stable repositories, and everything went smoothly,..
I have only taken a cursory look at the network config, it seems redundant and a little circular compared to what im used to, which is just one script that brings up the interfaces, but thats my next documentation stop.
It boggles me that the network would just vanish like that or be dependent on something else. With a network and a mounted partition and vi you can fix almost anything, without a network you are just stuck.

spacex

#8 Post by spacex »

No network issues for me in Jessie, Stretch or Sid. I use Network-manager with all of them, and it works perfect. You connect once, and then you are set. No need to ever reconfigure anything, unless you change hardware.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

No network issues for me in Jessie
Hmm, that is encouraging, maybe I should take a closer look at mine, it may be a simple thing to fix, I kind of just assumed it was a "short coming" of Jessie, or the newer network manager version.

millpond

#10 Post by millpond »

Oddly, with me it was Wheezy that had networking problems.

With Jessie, it works fine, and I use:

Code: Select all

etc/init.d/network-manager stop
sleep 5 
etc/init.d/network-manager start
to reliably fix broken networking from frozen VPN TUN connections.