Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Filezilla missing in testing (stretch)?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
juanmatias

Filezilla missing in testing (stretch)?

#1 Post by juanmatias »

I'm using Debian testing since testing was Jessie.

Suddenly Filezilla started to fail and then was deinstalled. (really I can't understand how, I can guess was automatically done when update/upgrade)

Then "apt-get install filezilla" returned " Package 'filezilla' has no installation candidate".

So I searched in https://packages.debian.org/testing/all ... mat=txt.gz (testing currently is stretch). But filezilla is missing.
But I do find it in https://packages.debian.org/jessie/allp ... mat=txt.gz

I replaced in my /etc/apt/sources.list s/testing/jessie/, then update and install filezilla and problem solved.

My question is:
Was Filezilla removed from new Debian testing version?

cronoik

Re: Filezilla missing in testing (stretch)?

#2 Post by cronoik »

juanmatias wrote:Was Filezilla removed from new Debian testing version?
Yes it was and this isn't extraordinary for the testing release. If you want more information you can check [1].
juanmatias wrote:I replaced in my /etc/apt/sources.list s/testing/jessie/, then update and install filezilla and problem solved.
This wasn't a good idea. Now you have all of your installed packages from stretch except of filezilla which is from jessie. The problem is that you won't get any further updates because the version numbers of your installed packages (testing) are higher then the version numbers of the mirrior (jessie).
Please undo the change of your sources.list.

[1] https://release.debian.org/migration/te ... =filezilla
Have a nice day!

mor

#3 Post by mor »

Filezilla has been removed from Testing, together with many other packages, around the time the gcc5 transition started.
Some of those packages have been already migrated back, others not so much.
This is completely normal in Testing.

One of the bugs still blocking filezilla is this, so as a Testing user you should be better off pulling the newer version from Unstable rather than downgrading to the old one from Stable.
But doing so by changing repos as you did is very dangerous!
Either manually download the package and install locally, or learn how to maintain a mixed system.

Bye

juanmatias

#4 Post by juanmatias »

Thanks, cronoic and mor...

I will try keep testing and pull Filezilla from Unestable.

:D

jrv

#5 Post by jrv »

I just became aware of losing filezilla, and while it is something I use infrequently, I do prefer it. I don't mind using the unstable version, but naturally I want to not munge my debian stretch/testing system up more than absolutely necessary. As best I read the current state of filezilla, there is no backport from unstable to testing, so my best option is to install the unstable version. I upgraded to unstable (per below), and I would like to know whether I am likely to have violated my debian warranty or something.

There are two packages directly involved, filezilla-common_3.12.0.2-1_all.deb & filezilla_3.12.0.2-1_amd64.deb (for amd64, or as appropriate for other architectures). I downloaded both. I used gDebi Package Installer to install them, common first. Since neither of them had any problems with any other dependencies, I was not going to get into "dependency hell" where I installed an unstable version of some fundamental package, which in turn broke all sorts of other things.

After I did this I looked at my state in synaptic package manager. The filezilla-common package, which had been at 3.9.x before I started was now upgraded to 3.12.x. The filezilla package was missing before I started, and it is missing still. Since I was able to run filezilla, I know the package is installed. I am guessing that since I didn't change repositories (after having been warned off by this thread), what I see in synaptic is not a list of installed packages, but rather a list of things available from the repository I am pointing at (testing/stretch), and only for those items, their installed status. Is that correct?

gDebi does not seem to have uninstall functionality, but I think I could uninstall filezilla by running 'dpkg -r filezilla' at a terminal as root if I found it necessary. Is that correct?

When a newer version of filezilla & filezilla-common become available in testing/stretch, they will appear in synaptic as normal and will upgrade normally because the new version will be higher than the version I just installed, and because I did not mess with things I don't understand like pinning. Is that right?

The last is the question that most concerns me. It will be much better if I can let nature run its course and forget this whole unfortunate incident rather than having to remember to do something special for filezilla at some undetermined time in the future. Sorry for the low-level of understanding I bring to the game, and thanks for any assistance you can provide.

JR

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

https://release.debian.org/migration/te ... =filezilla
jrv wrote:what I see in synaptic is not a list of installed packages, but rather a list of things available from the repository I am pointing at (testing/stretch), and only for those items, their installed status. Is that correct?
It should also show it under installed packages (as "local/obsolete" - i.e. not in a currently tracked repo).
jrv wrote:gDebi does not seem to have uninstall functionality, but I think I could uninstall filezilla by running 'dpkg -r filezilla' at a terminal as root if I found it necessary. Is that correct?
I thought it did, but I haven't used it much. Any of the package management tools will remove it, apt, aptitude, synaptic ...
jrv wrote:When a newer version of filezilla & filezilla-common become available in testing/stretch, they will appear in synaptic as normal and will upgrade normally because the new version will be higher than the version I just installed, and because I did not mess with things I don't understand like pinning. Is that right?
Yes.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

I would like to know whether I am likely to have violated my debian warranty or something.
As far as I know there is no "warranty" or guarantee, on Debian, or any of the releases.

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

jrv

#8 Post by jrv »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
jrv wrote:what I see in synaptic is not a list of installed packages, but rather a list of things available from the repository I am pointing at (testing/stretch), and only for those items, their installed status. Is that correct?
It should also show it under installed packages (as "local/obsolete" - i.e. not in a currently tracked repo).
Ok I looked again, and it shows up now in all. I am not sure what happened the first time I checked because gDebi forced me to shut down synaptic. When I loaded synaptic immediately afterward it should have found the new install. Probably PEBKAC. Thanks for the confirmations.

JR

sjukfan

#9 Post by sjukfan »

[2015-12-22] filezilla 3.14.1-1 MIGRATED to testing (Britney)
And it's back again.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX