Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wheezy vs Jessie experience

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
kevison

Re: Wheezy vs Jessie experience

#31 Post by kevison »

I tested wheezy in a vm with no issues, however I have been having crashes with Jessie whenever I am using Iceweasel to browse amazon.

thanatos_incarnate

#32 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

kevison wrote:I tested wheezy in a vm with no issues, however I have been having crashes with Jessie whenever I am using Iceweasel to browse amazon.
Browsing Amazon here a lot and without errors both on the ESR and the current version of Iceweasel from backports.
Have you tried running it from a terminal to see what errors you get?

Crewp

#33 Post by Crewp »

me too. running Jessie with Iceweasel no problems, Amazon or any other site.

wayne_h

#34 Post by wayne_h »

I'm a Linux n00b so my opinion probably doesn't count for much. I have mostly been running Debian (Wheezy and now Jessie) on VMs, although I have had it on an old laptop and I have one of the Jessie betas on an old desktop.

I found both platforms to be pretty stable. My recollection is that I had to jump through more hoops especially to get the full Gnome experience on a VM in wheezy. That experience has definitely been ironed out in Jessie. Also I recall some issues with audio, but that may have been with some of the earlier Wheezy dot releases. No such problems in Jessie. When I first upgraded to Jessie I noticed some weird stuff but that all seems to be rectified after the updates to 8.2. I'm sorry that this is mostly anecdotal.

Right now I'm very satisfied with Jessie and am keen to roll it out to my main physical machines (mine and my wife's) since I refuse to continue to use Windows with the way it is headed. The only thing that is stopping me right now is that I feel I need a better handle on backup options (I use automated full-disk imaging backup under Windows to manage backups for 5 systems) and a better understanding of the disk encryption features (currently using TrueCrypt under Windows), before I am confident that I can get more or less the same end result from Debian. The onus is on me to take that last step basically.

kevison

#35 Post by kevison »

thanatos_incarnate wrote:
kevison wrote:I tested wheezy in a vm with no issues, however I have been having crashes with Jessie whenever I am using Iceweasel to browse amazon.
Browsing Amazon here a lot and without errors both on the ESR and the current version of Iceweasel from backports.
Have you tried running it from a terminal to see what errors you get?

No, haven't tried that yet... I will give it a try and see what happens. It is fairly reproducible for me...

suberimakuri

#36 Post by suberimakuri »

I can echo rsm's thoughts.

Wheezy on web server.. will upgrade when PHP7 (just released) is available in Jessie or stretch.
Everything else on sid (htpc/server/laptops).
Occasionally I break sid with dist-upgrades, but if I'm careful with "the following packages will be REMOVED" then I'm ok. And pulling stuff from experimental is hit and miss...
But this is as one should expect, they aren't stable releases. :P

Wheezy to Jessie was a good jump though, systemd is easy to manage, xfce and everything else updating.

Tend to prefer sid for newer hardware support and later packages, good on new desktop/laptop computers.
Clean installs always better than upgrades.

kevison

#37 Post by kevison »

Turns out there is another individual having somewhat the same issue http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125991

pendrachken

#38 Post by pendrachken »

dotlj wrote:Jessie is good, Wheezy was good, so was Squeeze. So was Lenny and Etch and Sarge in their time.
I can't even remember what changed now from Wheezy to Jessie.
I looking forward to Stretch, probably using KDE5. From what I've seen of others with KDE5 it's nice.
The change from KDE3 to KDE4 took a long time to adjust for many users.
The newer 4.2 kernel has some nice features that I'm looking forward to seeing.
A couple of releases ago some extra steps appeared in the installer when encrypting partitions.
Jessie has a useful encrypted LVM option during installation. I can't remember if Wheezy had that.

Every now and again I have a quick look at other distros, usually because someone asks me what I think of them.
Every time I compare them to Debian stable and have never thought briefly that any has a nice feature that I like more.
In my opinion, the installers of most distros try to do too much and don't allow very much choice in how to install.

Just tried testing recently in a VM, with KDE5... I didn't hate it but I didn't like it much either. Actually, as little as I normally like GTK, I like cinnamon more than KDE5... it is configurable enough that I can get it working how I want without resorting to external hacks and tweaks, and looks like quite a bit like KDE3.x; including the file manager ( looks quite a bit like the old konqueror ).

The only thing I don't know for sure is media plugging, KDE has for a long time now done that well. But as I am testing in a VM I don't know if cinnamon automounts USB / CD, or anything else by default.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

Roel63

#39 Post by Roel63 »

pendrachken wrote:The only thing I don't know for sure is media plugging, KDE has for a long time now done that well. But as I am testing in a VM I don't know if cinnamon automounts USB / CD, or anything else by default.
Running testing on my Thinkpad now, and it does auto mount USB using Cinnamon.