More like windows every day Pulsenoaudio & Network mangler.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

More like windows every day Pulsenoaudio & Network mangler.

Postby fogpipe » 2015-09-30 18:20

Thank Bob almighty i am free at last :
I have been using mate with fluxbox as the window manager and everytime it started it called the nm-applet whether network manager was enabled or not and overwrote /etc/resolv.conf.
I dont need my network managed, i can do that my self thank you very much! Uninstalled NM and all is well.
Multimedia keys didnt work in fluxbox with mate, due to pulse audio hijacking the sound interface and hardware. The solution, apt-get remove pulse audio.
I didnt have any sound after removing pulse audio but a simple
Code: Select all
alsactl restore 0
(You might want to check the help before you try it.) and now i have sound.
Linux gets more like windows as time goes on, more and more you have to outwit the included "helpful" software, I can recall doing this kind of thing in windows.

That said, fluxbox and mate are a very nice interface, all the nice mate panels and utilities and a window manager that actually remembers sizes states and positions and as a bonus lets you run a gkrellm in the slit :)
fogpipe

Re: More like windows every day Pulsenoaudio & Network mangl

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-09-30 18:39

You should use a netinstall with the all of the tasksel boxes unchecked (or debootstrap) and build the system up from nothing exactly how you like it.

--no-install-recommends is your friend here ;)
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: More like windows every day Pulsenoaudio & Network mangl

Postby fogpipe » 2015-09-30 19:04

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:You should use a netinstall with the all of the tasksel boxes unchecked (or debootstrap) and build the system up from nothing exactly how you like it.

--no-install-recommends is your friend here ;)

Ill keep that in mind. Im liking Debian quite a bit. My current install is pretty heavily customized even tho i have only had it a little while, but that sounds like the best idea for the next release. Ty for the tip.
fogpipe

Return to General Discussion