Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Older computers - are you using them?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
keithpeter

Re: Older computers - are you using them?

#21 Post by keithpeter »

oswaldkelso wrote:If I had to keep one it would be the DellLatitude 5420. Well built, good backlit keyboard, good screen as libre hardware as you can get easily. I changed the wifi card. I would prefer seperate audio in and out but can live with the dual one.
I got one of these cheap off e*ay based on oswaldkelso's recommendation in a post here a year or two ago. I replaced the wifi card with one that uses free software drivers and the result is a tank like machine with built in DVD drive that will boot just about any Linux. The screen will give you a suntan at full brightness.

The one I carry round is a Thinkpad X200 which is about half the weight of the Dell. Encrypted hard drive in case I leave it on the bus. If I decided to rationalise the stock it would be this one that I keep to be honest. My lower back would not cope with shifting the Dell around and I prefer the older Thinkpad keyboards.

The testing laptop is a Thinkpad X61s core duo with an Atheros wifi card built in instead of the usual Intel one - hence no binary freeware needed. I have one core switched off in the BIOS and I have 512Mb of RAM in at present to simulate a lower power machine. Copes OK with XFCE and firefox with a hosts file that forwards most adverts to localhost, see

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

which is updated. Without that hosts file or without noscript or an add blocker Firefox bogs down pretty quickly...

ljones0

#22 Post by ljones0 »

I don't use that much older hardware these days. But I do still use it!

My main system is however a reasonably new machine. It's an AMD FX4100 quad core with 16GB Ram. Video is via a PCI-E card on a late 2000s Radeon HD 4850. Mind you the full tower case it is in dates from the late 90s..... :-)

Older hardware can be useful however, especially for single tasks. If you poke around on ebay for long enough you'll turn up some machines called "thin clients". These can be had for not much money and can be repurposed - this website tells you how to do so.

Usually it isn't much more than a) find a power supply (most - but not all - use a "normal" powe supply), b) pull the DOM ("Disk on module") off, c) replace DOM with something like an IDE to CF or SD card converter with a short ribbon cable and then finally installing an OS. These devices don't use much electricty, are often quite small and could be used (for example) as a small, low-end server, an internet radio maybe even a standalone device to run an emulator - fancy a "new old" Commodore 64? And these devices don't usually cost too much although there are always the rip-off-o-thon places and people on ebay to look out for.

I went through a patch a while back trying out different ARM based devices but nowadays I find I'm moving away from the whole ARM platform. Reason why? The ARM platform is a mess, weird bootloaders that are never explained, ARM (as in the company) being linux unfriendly, propietary drivers needed everywhere, potential digital locks the list goes on. x86 stuff might not be *hugely* better but there's a lot more chance of getting it working.

Worst case you end up with something like the Efika MX Smartbook - still a usable device or it would be but because of propietary software it is effectively locked to an old 2.6 kernel - want a newer kernel you can run one, but then X is unaccelerated and then painfully slow. And then there's all the other devices to get to work - assuming you can....

Though it is no surprise. I find this sort of thing a lot with many manufacturers (especially phones) these days. Device appars, there's support for a year or two and updates then the manfuacturer ends up getting bored with it and support ends and the device gets forgotten about. Seems to happen mostly with phones - come buy your new phone then a year later dump it because the next one's just appeared....

At least a lot of the older stuff and that is x86 based will often work. Need to try it again but I have somewhere a very old (bought off ebay for not a lot!) Neoware Thintune thin client - an old thin client; 200Mhz CPU, 64MB Ram (I Upped mine to 256MB); Sis 550 video; 2 USB 1.1 drivers. Last thing I tried was puppy linux on it and it run quite well all things considered. Even an older debian worked!

As a sidenote and I apologise for going off topic, I'm also thinking here about flat screen displays and TVs. In a way some of this applies to (well to me!) finding a new flat screen monitor or display of some sort. I had to find an older model of flat screen TV (just recently to replace an older duff monitor and which would not take HDMI or even DVI) to use as a monitor as most these days are of the annoying "smart" variety - devices which spy and watch on you or might even refuse to work with full functionality, or constantly want you to "connect it to the 'net". Or it's >£500 for a smaller screen flat screen monitor. I wonder what I'm going to be doing when this screen bites the dust and *everything* is "smart" .... x.x

ljones
Last edited by ljones0 on 2015-12-14 00:40, edited 3 times in total.

No_windows

#23 Post by No_windows »

ljones0 wrote:Mind you the full tower case it is in dates from the late 90s..... :-)
Nice, mine is early 2000's, or at least that's when the company whose name was on it went out of business. The only think I dislike about old cases is that they have that pesky fdd hole. What I've done with this case is to remove all plastic. It's what I call bare-bones. I took all the rivets out, blasted the sheet metal and primed it. I then reassembled the case with stainless rivets, and assembled with stainless button Allen-head screws. I'm sure it's not everyones cup of tea, but it's served me well.

At one time, I had an AMD k6-2 in an old AT/386 style case.

My pride is my 1986 IBM Model M keyboard, However.

ljones0

#24 Post by ljones0 »

No_windows wrote:
ljones0 wrote:Mind you the full tower case it is in dates from the late 90s..... :-)
Nice, mine is early 2000's, or at least that's when the company whose name was on it went out of business. The only think I dislike about old cases is that they have that pesky fdd hole. What I've done with this case is to remove all plastic. It's what I call bare-bones. I took all the rivets out, blasted the sheet metal and primed it. I then reassembled the case with stainless rivets, and assembled with stainless button Allen-head screws. I'm sure it's not everyones cup of tea, but it's served me well.

At one time, I had an AMD k6-2 in an old AT/386 style case.

My pride is my 1986 IBM Model M keyboard, However.
Intresting though I don't have the abilities to do that sort of thing!

Must also mention two PCs I have here as well - two mini towers that aren't "branded" PCs but date also from the late 90s. I don't think the hardware inside these PCs is from that time (possibly from the early 2000s) but with a new PSU (the old PSUs are ment for things like 700Mhz Athlons!) chip, board and RAM I could surprise everyone and have an older-looking machine that's brand new :-) !

ljones

HuangLao

#25 Post by HuangLao »

Of course. I have an 8-10 year old Gateway laptop (cant remember when lol) with Debian 8-32bit and a 5+ year old HP with Debian 8-64bit. Both chug along nicely with Debian.

I am a big fan of off lease business pc's or building your own!

alderaan

#26 Post by alderaan »

I have an old laptop which I bought second hand 9 years ago (that is before 2006) and is safe to say it is a few years older.
* CPU: Intel Mobile Pentium 4 2.40 Ghz
* RAM: 512 MiB

It is dual booting 2 different versions of Debian but it's main use is loading a local doudoulinux.iso file (through a custom grub line) in order for the kids to familiarize themselves with computers, passing their time with educational applications.

pcdoctor01

#27 Post by pcdoctor01 »

Just put lxde on my Dad's desktop with 1gb. I told him that this is better than xp.

fred barclay

#28 Post by fred barclay »

Both of my machines are old--one is 7-8 years old (Vista was running on in when I got it) and the other between 12-15 years old (XP-era). The older one has:
1.7 GHz single-core Intel Celeron CPU (32-bit, of course)
1016MB RAM
250GB HDD

It runs Arch with MATE and Debian Sid Xfce quite nicely. :) Having the large hard drive is nice because I can easily dual/triple boot and play around with distros.
Now to be fair, the only reason I use them heavily is economic reasons--I simply can't afford "the latest and the greatest!" I have dreams of a 8-core, 32-GB RAM machine with a heavy-duty Nvidia GPU and a 500GB HDD + a 500GB SDD. Until that day comes, though, I'll keep these old guys around as my main players.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#29 Post by NFT5 »

ljones0 wrote: I apologise for going off topic, I'm also thinking here about flat screen displays and TVs. In a way some of this applies to (well to me!) finding a new flat screen monitor or display of some sort. I had to find an older model of flat screen TV (just recently to replace an older duff monitor and which would not take HDMI or even DVI) to use as a monitor as most these days are of the annoying "smart" variety - devices which spy and watch on you or might even refuse to work with full functionality, or constantly want you to "connect it to the 'net". Or it's >£500 for a smaller screen flat screen monitor. I wonder what I'm going to be doing when this screen bites the dust and *everything* is "smart" .... x.x
I figure this thread is, indirectly about saving money, so I'll respond. Computer flat screens are cheap, especially if you stay below the 22" size. But for bigger screens, right up to 60"+, almost all manufacturers make a "dumb" version of the all singing, all dancing, bells and whistles versions that you see in the shops. They're used for commercial installations where cost (i.e. tender price) is an issue and run to display information, not TV. They're much cheaper, although you usually have to ask and have them ordered in.
No_windows wrote:The only think I dislike about old cases is that they have that pesky fdd hole. What I've done with this case is to remove all plastic. It's what I call bare-bones. I took all the rivets out, blasted the sheet metal and primed it. I then reassembled the case with stainless rivets, and assembled with stainless button Allen-head screws. I'm sure it's not everyones cup of tea, but it's served me well.
I own a spray painting business and had kind of forgotten that I've done this, too. Didn't bother about blasting, but a coat of black paint over the old cream certainly freshens up an old case which, if it was decent quality originally, will last forever with periodic internals updates/upgrades as and when required. For the 3.5" FDD hole I've replaced with front mount USB and/or card readers, making that space convenient and useful again.

No_windows

#30 Post by No_windows »

NFT5 wrote:......Didn't bother about blasting, but a coat of black paint over the old cream certainly freshens up an old case which, if it was decent quality originally, will last forever with periodic internals updates/upgrades as and when required. For the 3.5" FDD hole I've replaced with front mount USB and/or card readers, making that space convenient and useful again.
I don't recall why I media blasted the case. I do recall it having a large sticker on the back I wanted to remove. It could be that I was simply going to the blaster any way and figured that I may as well blast the case too.

Starborn

#31 Post by Starborn »

Just registered here and dediced to throw in my two (euro)cents.

I am running "jessie" - for about a month now - on my old, 2 GHz dual-core Pentium with 2 GB RAM, and it runs fine (although Gnome 3 is an itsy bitsy teenie weenie bit slow, therefore I mostly use LXDE, or Fluxbox when I'm in the mood). This machine is about 8 years old, which can be considered "old" too in PC-land. I plan to upgrade it with another CPU and a Geforce I have lying around somewhere.

A long, long time ago (and in the same galaxy that we are all in), I once installed Xubuntu on a Compaq Armada laptop with a 500 MHz PIII and 512 MB RAM, with IceWM as window manager, which ran smoother than xfce, as was my experience. I got that laptop from a colleague at work and could keep it for free, if I could get it to work (it only needed a new HD). Xubuntu/IceWM worked fine (relatively speaking).

I have always tried to keep my computers for as long as possible. They all develop their own personality (or maybe I just imagine that), and I even give them a name (lame!). With a little luck, Conroe will hold on for a couple of more years.
We're all star children!

mardybear

#32 Post by mardybear »

Welcome starchild.

Great old hardware story. You mean anthropomorphism?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

I only came about this information because my system, named Grumpy, looked it up on the internet and whispered the answer into my ear :)
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

Starborn

#33 Post by Starborn »

Hello and thank you, mardibear.

Yes: anthropomorphism indeed! :)

I name my computers with a "name" that is derived from their hardware parts, such as there being my "Cougar" and my "Puma" (with appropriate wallpaper, of course) for my two Core-i5 based desktop computers (for which Intel used the codename "Sandy Bridge", which I read is also being called "Cougar Point"), and "Conroe" because it was Intel's codename of the Pentium dual core (and Core 2 Duo).
I kinda like such codenames.

Well, I do need a way to be able to distinguish among my three PC's :D (Four computers, if I count my el cheapo laptop along; or 5 if I include my now ancient PowerPC-based iMac G5 along; or 6 if I count along that old HP "dc5100" SFF computer that I have, or 7 if - never mind :P )
We're all star children!