Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Older computers - are you using them?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Starborn

Re: Older computers - are you using them?

#31 Post by Starborn »

Just registered here and dediced to throw in my two (euro)cents.

I am running "jessie" - for about a month now - on my old, 2 GHz dual-core Pentium with 2 GB RAM, and it runs fine (although Gnome 3 is an itsy bitsy teenie weenie bit slow, therefore I mostly use LXDE, or Fluxbox when I'm in the mood). This machine is about 8 years old, which can be considered "old" too in PC-land. I plan to upgrade it with another CPU and a Geforce I have lying around somewhere.

A long, long time ago (and in the same galaxy that we are all in), I once installed Xubuntu on a Compaq Armada laptop with a 500 MHz PIII and 512 MB RAM, with IceWM as window manager, which ran smoother than xfce, as was my experience. I got that laptop from a colleague at work and could keep it for free, if I could get it to work (it only needed a new HD). Xubuntu/IceWM worked fine (relatively speaking).

I have always tried to keep my computers for as long as possible. They all develop their own personality (or maybe I just imagine that), and I even give them a name (lame!). With a little luck, Conroe will hold on for a couple of more years.
We're all star children!

mardybear

#32 Post by mardybear »

Welcome starchild.

Great old hardware story. You mean anthropomorphism?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

I only came about this information because my system, named Grumpy, looked it up on the internet and whispered the answer into my ear :)
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

Starborn

#33 Post by Starborn »

Hello and thank you, mardibear.

Yes: anthropomorphism indeed! :)

I name my computers with a "name" that is derived from their hardware parts, such as there being my "Cougar" and my "Puma" (with appropriate wallpaper, of course) for my two Core-i5 based desktop computers (for which Intel used the codename "Sandy Bridge", which I read is also being called "Cougar Point"), and "Conroe" because it was Intel's codename of the Pentium dual core (and Core 2 Duo).
I kinda like such codenames.

Well, I do need a way to be able to distinguish among my three PC's :D (Four computers, if I count my el cheapo laptop along; or 5 if I include my now ancient PowerPC-based iMac G5 along; or 6 if I count along that old HP "dc5100" SFF computer that I have, or 7 if - never mind :P )
We're all star children!