Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Network and bandwith management for users from router/proxy

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
otyugh

Network and bandwith management for users from router/proxy

#1 Post by otyugh »

Hey,
I've a question that is creeping around for a long time : how to, from a router (as openwrt) or using debian as proxy, could I manage a whole network or users's "download/upload rate/number of active connexion" and apply very strict policy : like "this tange of IP have priority on everything compared to this other" ; or something more elaborated like "everyone can use the network at any rate, but if the latency decrease, his rate is lowered drasticaly and after a few minute can grow very progressively."

Theses kind of policy would help many students to not hurt themselves with their neighborhood. Also, and this is what finaly motivates me to try finding an answer : some community consider opening their internet access to refugee, but had to stop because their network get instable and everyone issues disconnexions all the time. Finding a solution for this case might help lot of people get in touch with support and family, which would be quite cool.

Sorry for this confused bunch of words. I may try to rephrase again if it does not make sense, just give the call.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Network and bandwith management for users from router/pr

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Lots of reading to do ... :)
This looks like a usable intro - http://wiki.linuxwall.info/doku.php/en: ... ic_control
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...