Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linux Freelancer Jobs? Do they exist?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
raspbian

Linux Freelancer Jobs? Do they exist?

#1 Post by raspbian »

Hey Friends,

I was wondering if we have Linux freelancer jobs in the market? Any work from home profile from a remote location? If they do exist then what expertise do they require to offer such jobs?What salary/perks are currently offered?

Bulkley

Re: Linux Freelancer Jobs? Do they exist?

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Simple answer, yes. Longer answer, you have to be creative. I've known a few entrepreneurs who use Linux. I even met a Boeing engineer who used Linux on the job which he did from the middle of British Columbia, Canada while connected to his employers mainframe in Seattle by high speed Internet. That was back when Red Hat 7.1 was released. The engineer never used a GUI, worked entirely from command line instructions. Are you up to that?

The Libranet Linux distribution was created by a freelancer. It was a great distro which ended when its creator died.

The issue isn't Linux; it's you. Freelancing requires skill and initiative.

HuangLao

#4 Post by HuangLao »

Bulkley wrote:Simple answer, yes....The issue isn't Linux; it's you. Freelancing requires skill and initiative.
Completely agree. You can "freelance" almost anything in this era. You might run into some resistance, however, depending on the type of company. Many will prefer in house talent, as a way to protect patents, trademarks, and other trade secrets etc... The IT guy is one of the few that is able to see into the guts of an organization, including the nasty bits in the bowels. :lol:

raspbian

#5 Post by raspbian »

@Bulkley

Yes, I can being an RHCE & RHCVA though planning to upgrade to Architect level this year. You are right, though I never noticed but I never searched with dedication, I guess. Will check and update here accordingly.