Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby raspbian » 2016-01-17 10:00

Friends,

I was just wondering if Debian & Redhat were released around the same time then why Redhat is in demand. What they have done in all those years that companies prefer using it or pay for their support as well? Is it only because of their available certifications or something else?
raspbian
 
Posts: 48
Joined: 2014-11-03 10:34

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby kedaha » 2016-01-17 10:22

You've answered your own question:
raspbian wrote:companies prefer using it

because they
raspbian wrote:pay for their support

And we all know the saying:
He who pays the piper calls the tune.

But you'll find a long list of commercial firms that prefer Debian at debian.org/users/#com. And some companies contribute to Debian as in www.debian.org/News/2013/20130404
Paid support is also available for Debian: Consultants
"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".—Groucho Marx
User avatar
kedaha
 
Posts: 3138
Joined: 2008-05-24 12:26

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby raspbian » 2016-01-17 10:43

So if had there been no paid support then Debian would have been the preference? What if Debian starts providing such support? I am not in a debate mood, just was curious to think and know once I saw in Wikipedia that they both were released around the same time.
raspbian
 
Posts: 48
Joined: 2014-11-03 10:34

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby kedaha » 2016-01-17 10:59

raspbian wrote:What if Debian starts providing such support?

It never will.
Red Hat is a commercial linux distribution and it is in business to make money by offering services.
Debian is non-commercial distribution and is not out to make money; the project:
is an association of individuals who have made common cause to create a free operating system.

As detailed at About Debian.
But is Red Hat preferred over Debian? According to one site:
Debian is used by 32.6% of all the websites who use Linux.

whereas Red Hat is used by only 4%. So the topic question should be:
Why is Debian in demand/preferred over Red Hat?
"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".—Groucho Marx
User avatar
kedaha
 
Posts: 3138
Joined: 2008-05-24 12:26

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby HuangLao » 2016-01-17 18:55

[quotelWhy is Debian in demand/preferred over Red Hat?[/quote][/quote]

You nailed it! We have to remember that Red Hat's business tactics are similar to the AMA and MD's. Just because you provide the certification, provide the legal framework for an industry and tell people what they can and cannot do, does not make you a better healer or even the best. If the AMA says Chinese Medicine is bunk...then it just is dammit. If Red Hat says swallow this code because its good for GNU/Linux....then grab your cup of water. :wink:

Debian allows alot more freedom and that is what many people prefer.
User avatar
HuangLao
 
Posts: 485
Joined: 2015-01-27 01:31

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby thanatos_incarnate » 2016-01-18 14:45

A community-based problem resolution means more in-house staff, no?

But there are companies that offer support for Debian. I know at least of small ones that do it.
User avatar
thanatos_incarnate
 
Posts: 717
Joined: 2012-11-04 20:36

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby Bulkley » 2016-01-18 16:48

Corporate-think is not always good-think. Corporations tend toward the Bell Curve which is all about mediocrity.
Bulkley
 
Posts: 5991
Joined: 2006-02-11 18:35

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby HuangLao » 2016-01-18 21:23

wizard10000 wrote:Look at this from an enterprise standpoint. I spent a bunch of years working for Department of Defense and there you simply can't deploy an operating system that doesn't have paid vendor support available so that pretty much limits your choices to Redhat, SuSE or Ubuntu.

I currently do geek work for a rather large gas and electric utility in the midwestern US and all the Linux instances here are SuSE.

If your business can lose thousands or millions of bucks an hour during an outage you're going to make real sure you have third-level support available. I spent a couple of years as an IT critical incident manager and you'd better believe that if there's *any* hesitation from support teams when resolving an issue we require the support team to engage the vendor.

The business requirement drives the support model. I'm a big supporter of community-based problem resolution, but my shareholders wouldn't be nearly as understanding if stuff's broke and their revenue stream is impacted :)


Never understood this type of rationale. If an IT or Sys Admin. needs to contact a third party for support, then perhaps they are not in the correct field. In house support will always be more secure and understand the systems better then third party. Do you really think RedHat, Suse or Ubuntu care about your company and its systems? They care about selling you contracts and having you upgrade...no different than Windows or Apple in that aspect.

There are plenty of community based GNU/Linux distros that offer all of the same or similar programs as the "paid" distros. So access to programs is not the reason, and sorry but usually internet search and/or forum posts will produce solutions much faster than those paid for subscription service packs. ;)
User avatar
HuangLao
 
Posts: 485
Joined: 2015-01-27 01:31

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby geekosupremo » 2016-01-18 22:07

HuangLao wrote: If an IT or Sys Admin. needs to contact a third party for support, then perhaps they are not in the correct field.


I don't think it's entirely right to degrade the quality of the Sys Admin because the company wants/needs a support contract. Some of us, point to self, became the sys admin because we know enough, were willing, and no one else was any better. If the company needs a certain software to move forward that is beyond their technical skill of IT to produce but the software vendor is willing to do support it can be a way to keep progress going.

Also in the case of large corporate deployments having a service contract is actually a nice safety net. Say your in office team is good, the best even! But say you have a remote office, in another country. That office doesn't have your IT team, your in house team might be glad to help the remote office, but if they're in a time zone where this is extremely difficult to impossible having an additional group that can support the office is going to be invaluable.

This is not to say that service contracts are "the best", just saying they have a place.
geekosupremo
 
Posts: 154
Joined: 2014-10-30 23:17

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby HuangLao » 2016-01-19 01:10

geekosupremo wrote:
HuangLao wrote: If an IT or Sys Admin. needs to contact a third party for support, then perhaps they are not in the correct field.


I don't think it's entirely right to degrade the quality of the Sys Admin because the company wants/needs a support contract. Some of us, point to self, became the sys admin because we know enough, were willing, and no one else was any better. If the company needs a certain software to move forward that is beyond their technical skill of IT to produce but the software vendor is willing to do support it can be a way to keep progress going.

Also in the case of large corporate deployments having a service contract is actually a nice safety net. Say your in office team is good, the best even! But say you have a remote office, in another country. That office doesn't have your IT team, your in house team might be glad to help the remote office, but if they're in a time zone where this is extremely difficult to impossible having an additional group that can support the office is going to be invaluable.

This is not to say that service contracts are "the best", just saying they have a place.


Above post was not meant to degrade anyone, many apologies if anyone felt that way.

Your point is completely understandable.
User avatar
HuangLao
 
Posts: 485
Joined: 2015-01-27 01:31

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby geekosupremo » 2016-01-19 17:16

HuangLao wrote:Above post was not meant to degrade anyone, many apologies if anyone felt that way.


No worries. :) Just thought I'd offer my point of view from this perspective.
geekosupremo
 
Posts: 154
Joined: 2014-10-30 23:17

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby Chiefahol » 2016-01-20 02:15

Here's a radical idea.

Perhaps an outside commercial entity could try offer commercial support for Debian. Donate a small slice of what it makes to the non-profit Debian foundation.
Chiefahol
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 2015-08-27 11:39

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby dasein » 2016-01-20 02:46

Chiefahol wrote:Perhaps an outside commercial entity could try offer commercial support for Debian. Donate a small slice of what it makes to the non-profit Debian foundation.

Such an intrepid band of entrepreneurs would end up in direct competition with RedHat. They'd need a metric shit-ton of capital to have the tiniest chance of success. (And even then, they'd probably get creamed.)
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7775
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby HuangLao » 2016-01-20 03:01

Isn't that what Ubuntu/Canonical is/has been trying to do? Or do you mean support for just "pure" Debian?
User avatar
HuangLao
 
Posts: 485
Joined: 2015-01-27 01:31

Re: Why Redhat is in demand/preferred over Debian

Postby andre@home » 2016-01-26 22:56

Chiefahol wrote:Here's a radical idea.

Perhaps an outside commercial entity could try offer commercial support for Debian. Donate a small slice of what it makes to the non-profit Debian foundation.
It already exists... know your Debian roots...
https://www.debian.org/consultants/index.en.html
Debian is free software and offers free help through mailing lists. Some people either don't have the time or have specialized needs and are willing to hire someone to either maintain or add additional functionality to their Debian system. The following is a list of people who make at least part of their income from doing paid support for Debian.....

Please note that some consultants donate a portion of their income (derived from Debian) to supporting Debian. This is up to each consultant or company. Of course, this is pointed out to you so that it will hopefully influence your choice ...

The list is provided as is, without any guarantee or endorsement by the Debian Project. Entries are the sole responsibility of the corresponding consultant.

andre@home
 
Posts: 389
Joined: 2011-10-02 08:00

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

fashionable