Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What internet browser to replace iceweasel/firefox?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: What internet browser to replace iceweasel/firefox?

#31 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

thanatos_incarnate

#32 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

TonyVanDam wrote: It's not a fair argument
I can't speak for Bulkley, but in my case, all extensions work or they have a modified version from the Pale Moon devs. They all pretty much behave the same on my stronger machine (quadcore AMD APU with 4 GB RAM). But even on my weaker netbook with 2 GB RAM the RAM is not an issue, it's more about the processor being squeezed on javascript heavy websites.

Crewp

#33 Post by Crewp »

I vote for Pale Moon

swirler

#34 Post by swirler »

I'd vote for disabling every possible background service in Firefox/Iceweasel (and there's plenty of this stuff), then block almost everything except actual content (following this line of reasoning) by means of NoScript, Ublock origin, Request Policy and the likes.
Which can be quite an interesting albeit lengthy exercise.

Job

#35 Post by Job »

Thanks to this thread I am now enjoying epiphany. About two years ago I wanted to use epiphany as my only browser but the browser could not render some sites correctly. Today I can say I am happy and impressed. All my favorites sites come across way better than with iceweasel and I can play all my videos from those sites.

Thumbs up!
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

Danielsan

#36 Post by Danielsan »

Unfortunately you can avoid to use Iceweasel or Chromium as a main browser.

For fast reading I prefer use Chromium, but for long session with many tabs open I prefer using Iceweasel. To avoid unnecessary using of cpu I use Ublock-Origin, Ghostery, Flashblock. Then there a lot of tab suspenders, really useful indeed, that have always problem with Iceweasel but work fine with Firefox for Win. If you are using a stable probably you will be able to find someone which is still working with your version of Iceweasel.

Take a look on this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... form=Linux

I've never used, Palemoon but it appears just like a tricky Iceweasel however there is a fact, which is well known, that Firefox for Linux works better than Iceweasel due the default setup. Anyway, nobody had mentioned Icecat, I always heard that Icecat is more responsive than Firefox and thus Iceweasel.

I don't suggest Seamonkey/Iceape because even if is a light browser is not responsive at all on a crappy computer like mine.

alderaan

#38 Post by alderaan »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:http://www.brave.com/
Thanks for the link, looks promising...

carbonfibre

#39 Post by carbonfibre »

Conkeror

Job

#40 Post by Job »

carbonfibre wrote:Conkeror
Don't know about now but really buggy.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

edbarx

#41 Post by edbarx »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
edbarx wrote:Debianizing the above is not that difficult provided the actual code does not need editing. To create a functional but primitive debian subdirectory in the source's tree, use dh_make while in the source's top directory. That should allow for using dpkg-buildpackage to work.
Fascinating, thank you!
:)
I wrote a howto describing the above to help those who want to create simple packages for Debian. The procedure involves more steps than simply using dh_make. Please, excuse my lack of foresight.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Danielsan

#42 Post by Danielsan »

I have recently (re)discovered this addon is again working on Iceweasel: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rtab-plus/

This addon help a lot to have the browsing really smooth even in a old pc.

stevepusser

#43 Post by stevepusser »

Linux Voice Magazine Feb. 2016 had a review of some lightweight browsers that don't use the Mozilla Gecko or Webkit engines. Netsurf was the choice for a graphical browser.
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#44 Post by GarryRicketson »

I have been using Netsurf a lot lately, it seems pretty good.

TonyVanDam

#45 Post by TonyVanDam »

GarryRicketson wrote:I have been using Netsurf a lot lately, it seems pretty good.
Netsurf needs to be updated and upgraded more. It's been sitting on v2 for a while. And v3 is still not in Debian Sid yet.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#46 Post by oswaldkelso »

I'm posting this from Netsurf 3.1 and can confirm it's quite capable.

http://gungre.ch/dragora/repo/frusen/unstable/netsurf/

It has it's quirks and I read the newer versions have even better javascript support if I can find the link :-) js....Slippery slope imho

I use seamonkey everyday and it's faster than firefox at loading so I asked in seamonkey irc. They said it was due to FF loading a load of "crap" on first boot. The "crap" was to monitor and improve FF so I guess we can't have it both ways.

If I visit a very heavy site where I want to see content not bullshit I copy the url into dillo and just edit the page numbers

Excuse my ramblings....
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

GarryRicketson

#47 Post by GarryRicketson »

I copy the url into dillo and just edit the page numbers
Dillo works quite well also :D and w3m .
And v3 is still not in Debian Sid yet.
Well, I do agree "netsurf" maybe could use some work, v2 is fine for me, I do not use "Sid", nor Debian 8, and don't think I will be using "stretch" Debian 9, I like Wheezy, and Squeeze, both work fine for me, and I am confident even if one day the LTS is dropped for Wheezy, I will be able to maintane my system,keep it like it is, working fine.
If the more "modernized" websites keep heading in the direction they seem to be, well , I don't need most of them, and I am confident there all ways will be at least a few useable web sites around, where I can find the information I need, and even some files
or libraries.
If not, then there all ways is real books, and the "old fashioned" public libraries.

The more "modern" "browsers" and websites seem to just be a commercialized "gimmick" factory, geared toward cramming ones system full of as much advertisments as possible, and "scraping" the system for as much information on the owner as they can get, really are pretty much useless, in my opinion,..(not worth much, I guess).

roseway

#48 Post by roseway »

TonyVanDam wrote: Netsurf needs to be updated and upgraded more. It's been sitting on v2 for a while. And v3 is still not in Debian Sid yet.
That's a strange thing to say. Debian Stable has already got 3.2. https://packages.qa.debian.org/n/netsurf.html
Eric

Hralgmir

#49 Post by Hralgmir »

No mention on the Mozilla Firefox site of any changes for hardware requirements when I searched online just now? Not that I'm in the loop re Mozilla plans!
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/4 ... uirements/
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/

But the software requirements may require later versions in future:
GNU/Linux
Software Requirements

Please note that GNU/Linux distributors may provide packages for your distribution which have different requirements.
Firefox will not run at all without the following libraries or packages:
GTK+ 3.4 or higher
GLib 2.22 or higher
Pango 1.14 or higher
X.Org 1.0 or higher (1.7 or higher is recommended)
libstdc++ 4.3 or higher
For optimal functionality, we recommend the following libraries or packages:
NetworkManager 0.7 or higher
DBus 1.0 or higher
HAL 0.5.8 or higher
GNOME 2.16 or higher

I currently use real Firefox with adblock plus and no flashplayer, there's so little flash content that is of interest nowadays, it's virtually irrelevant and obsolete. VLC plugin and built in Firefox capabilities show almost everything that's useful. It still runs on my 500MHz P3 CPx H500GT with 512MB RAM, a bit slow, but it works.
Doubtless there would be better choices for that machine though.
Ever heard of Yandex browser? Only available in Russian language for Linux last I heard. It's based on Chrome. Google themselves provide a special repository for Debian to install the latest Chrome browser easily as a package, very kind of them. That has built in flash capabilities I have heard, but I've only tried the Windows version of Chrome recently, and it worked well.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#50 Post by oswaldkelso »

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... refox.html
Firefox Dependencies
Required

alsa-lib-1.1.0, GTK+-2.24.29 ( or GTK+-3.18.7 if you change the mozconfig where indicated), NSS-3.22, UnZip-6.0, yasm-1.3.0, and Zip-3.0
Am I missing something?
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian