Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gmail vs Iceweasel vs Icedove vs Epiphany Web Apps

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Danielsan

Gmail vs Iceweasel vs Icedove vs Epiphany Web Apps

#1 Post by Danielsan »

Hi Guys,

I always have the problem of big CPU consumption with my Gmail box. I noticed that both Iceweasel and Icedove after an half hour of use are stuck around 27-30% of cpu usage. Icedove has better performance than Iceweasel because this last with other many tabs open the cpu usage can reach an average of 50-60%. Pretty bored and frustrated about this situation I remembered the new Gnome Web (Epiphany for the older friends) can create web app so I thought maybe I could I do a try...

I opened for a short time Iceweasel with 1 tab, Icedove and eventually Gmail Web app. No one other application were running during every tests, so this is the result:

Code: Select all

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                           
12345 XXXXX    20   0 1429780 488108  88424 S  14,5  8,6   1:58.99 iceweasel
12345 XXXXX    20   0 1120568 335868  86812 S   8,6  5,9   1:07.47 icedove
12345 XXXXX    20   0 2354164 102036  53576 S   1,2  1,8   1:44.54 epiphany       
It seems epiphany won this competition and more it has the clean and easy Gmail interface, I think Icedove is became a little bit messy.

I'll let you know if also Epiphany is going to have any cpu usage issue after a long session!

UPDATING

After starting using normally the web apps this is the current status:

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND              
12345 XXXXX    20   0 3648140 479216  86888 R  59,3  8,4   7:09.77 WebKitWebProces
12345 XXXXX    20   0 2642192 104292  53776 S  34,5  1,8   3:25.52 epiphany 
I have to change my opinion in favor of Icedove.

UPDATING 02

I received 4 emails from Indeed.com and I began to have this consumption after reviewed and deleted those emails the cpu usage is returned nice. Where the indeed emails digging in my mailbox with all their crappy trackers?

geekosupremo

Re: Gmail vs Iceweasel vs Icedove vs Epiphany Web Apps

#2 Post by geekosupremo »

There is a descent chance it is not trackers. Many HTML emails will grab their images and css from the "mother site" and/or the HTML used is causing a glitch in the rendering engine of the application which could lead to a spike in system resource usage.

This is not a defense of this kind of behavior, simply an explanation. Personally I think this sort of thing is lame, and if a service/site is going to send HTML email they should check it to make sure it doesn't cause problems for the end users.

Danielsan

#3 Post by Danielsan »

After a couple of days, concerning only the use of gmail, Epiphany Web Apps has revealed the best solution.
I remember another email client, Geary, but as far I saw it was really slow, I have not idea is now is better than the last time I tried it.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Danielsan wrote:new Gnome Web (Epiphany for the older friends)
You shouldn't use that browser, it is fundamentally insecure.

See http://www.pcworld.com/article/3034014/ ... rable.html & https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... r-security
deadbang

sgosnell

#5 Post by sgosnell »

You can easily disable html email in icedove, and have it displayed as plain text. I don't like webmail interfaces, and always use an email client. I've tried most of those available, and prefer icedove. But it's really a matter of personal choice.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Danielsan

#6 Post by Danielsan »

@ Head_on_a_Stick

WOW!!! This is huge!!!
Thanks for your advice, however why did the devs use this component if it is so unsafe? It is spreading everywhere...

@ sgosnell

Sincerely I like the HTML unfortunately Icedove is heavy and quite buggy for me.

So I will try Iceape + Gmail, I'll let you know.

Danielsan

#7 Post by Danielsan »

Iceape is not anymore in Debian... So I decided to use Chromium for the web mail, and I am going to use Icedove and Claws-mail to read the mailbox offline.

edbarx

#8 Post by edbarx »

To Danielsan: To limit what an insecure browser can access, I use firejail. It is in testing and can also be readily built into a package on Stable. To use it for iceweasel run:

firejail iceweasel
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Danielsan

#9 Post by Danielsan »

Actually Chromium works very well, it's just me that doesn't like google products...
Anyway good to know this package, since the moment I am in a pinned testing I will install it!

Danielsan

#10 Post by Danielsan »

I tried again Claws Email but it messed up all my emails (probably due the fact I was testing Icedove simultaneously with it) as I far I know, on my Debian, no one of those works correctly with Gmail Imap, this remembers me the same good old behavior of Microsoft. I have to stick with the Webmail or changing email provider.