Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Slow downloads

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
bushpilot

Slow downloads

#1 Post by bushpilot »

Hi I have been an avid Debian user for several years. It (Debian) has worked wonderfully. Lately though I have noticed a slowdown when downloading files. Have even changed to the fastest site but compared to Manjaro, download speed is very slow. Is there something I can do about this? :)

kalwisti

Re: Slow downloads

#2 Post by kalwisti »

Hi, bushpilot,

Do you know about the netselect-apt package? I might be misinterpreting your post, because I know you wrote that you have "changed to the fastest site." (That suggests you have perhaps already installed the utility) ...

If you haven't installed netselect-apt, here is a brief description of it:

http://www.debianadmin.com/select-faste ... t-apt.html
"Select fastest Debian mirror using netselect-apt." 11 Dec. 2013.

If you have already identified the fastest mirror and are still plagued by slow download speeds, I'm sorry that I can't offer an alternative solution. I sometimes experience the same behavior and have always figured that the server is temporarily handling heavy traffic, and just wait patiently until the download finishes. Since I'm running Debian Stable (Jessie) and there aren't tons of updates, it's not a problem for me.

HTH.
Registered Linux User # 442201

Debian 12.1 "Bookworm" Xfce (64-bit)

Lenovo ThinkCentre M800 SFF: Intel Core i3-6100, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 530