Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Random thoughts on Solaris

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
benuski

Random thoughts on Solaris

#1 Post by benuski »

This is just some random theorizing based on a slashdot article, but if Sun makes Solaris open source under GPL 2/3, do you think Debian would start a port to it, a la the *BSD ports and the Hurd port?

Fluenza

#2 Post by Fluenza »

I clicked on this thread expecting to read some insightful thoughts on using Solaris, as I would like to give Solaris a try someday. I was rather disappointed to find that the OP offered nothing but a single question. :(
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

DeanLinkous

#3 Post by DeanLinkous »

I think we will see v3 opensolaris. Not sure about a debian port. but I guess if people wanted to start one. Becool if you could just apt-get install solaris-kernel and it handle everything.

I am looking forward to opensolaris being v3!

now for some reading
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070228-8938.html

and go ahead and order it for free
http://get.opensolaris.org/
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by Lavene »

Maybe... if Sun stop doing silly stuff like this it might be interesting...
;)