Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nis bug accessing group tables

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
mazerj

nis bug accessing group tables

#1 Post by mazerj »

I just ran into a long-standing problem I've been having with NIS with a fresh install of jessie using the nis-client to retrieve group tables. I did a fresh install of jessie (into a 64 virtualbox VM) and added one additional package:

Code: Select all

% apt-get nis
And then changed two lines in /etc/nsswitch.conf from:

passwd: compat
group:  compat
to:

passwd: nis compat
group: nis compat
System boots fine until I change /etc/nsswitch.conf, but after the change, fails to boot -- just spins 10-15 mins, then boots to a text login (no X) and no the NIS tables not available.

It's only the group line that matters -- if I don't change the group line, it's fine. Same thing happens if I add "+:::..." lines to /etc/group. And the tables are perfectly accessible via ypcat, so it's not a problem accessing the nis-server (eg, ypcat -k group works fine).

This has been a problem for years in my lab -- only way I've been able to fix it is to mess with the startup scripts to disable nis first thing during boot and then re-enable in rc.local, which is a PIA when updating etc..

Anybody else seeing anything like this? Anyone using NIS anymore??? Or has everyone switched to LDAP or something else?

Thanks,
Jamie