Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Running a pure Debian Stable system. Worth it?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
lukas

Re: Running a pure Debian Stable system. Worth it?

#16 Post by lukas »

spacex wrote:
lukas wrote:scroll up this thread, and you will see it. I even quoted it.
In all fairness, nothing wrong in saying that a netinstall is a good opportunity to have Debian in your way :)
Sure nothing wrong with it. Just like using the other media to install debian. Or debootstrap (which doesn't use the debian-installer at all). Or whatever.
In my world "opportunity" includes that other ways to install debian doesn't offer that option (if all ways include that option too, it really isn't necessary to mention it regarding the netinst-iso).

dotlj

#17 Post by dotlj »

I think that the answer to this will vary for each person, because every person is unique and builds their system for their own purpose.

I run Debian Stable of my laptops; with LibreOffice, Firfeox, Thunderbird, VirtualBox from their respective sites rather than the Debian repository because they offer more features. I have used Debian for years and security updates are fixed very quickly in Debian, so that anything patched by Mozilla for example is quickly available as an updated version in Debian Stable repositories.

I also use a few packages from Testing that aren't available in Stable; after carefully checking the few dependencies.

You build your system according to your needs and priorities. When they change, you may change the way you build.
I also build my system according to my needs and priorities and when they change, I change the way I build my system.
If the testing package I use, becomes available in Stable, then I'll use that.

spacex

#18 Post by spacex »

lukas wrote:
spacex wrote:
lukas wrote:scroll up this thread, and you will see it. I even quoted it.
In all fairness, nothing wrong in saying that a netinstall is a good opportunity to have Debian in your way :)
Sure nothing wrong with it. Just like using the other media to install debian. Or debootstrap (which doesn't use the debian-installer at all). Or whatever.
In my world "opportunity" includes that other ways to install debian doesn't offer that option (if all ways include that option too, it really isn't necessary to mention it regarding the netinst-iso).
Sure, I see your point. But it is the kind of misconception that does no harm. Because it would be stupid to download a full DVD when the netinst.iso does the job. Saves bandwidth for Debian :lol: