Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Semi-custom Debian distribution - how to best go about it?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
RipNRun

Semi-custom Debian distribution - how to best go about it?

#1 Post by RipNRun »

Hi All. I've got a general "where to start" question on customizing a Debian distribution.

I have a very customized setup with kernel and select package tweaks/patches running on many different machines. I need to develop a way that's less cumbersome than manually manging each machine to ensure that these patched packages and kernels are installed and to make sure that their unpatched versions from the standard repositories are not installed.

I've been doing this with holds on individual machines thus far - manually updating a single machine, and then customizing every machine based on what I've found (ie, building patches separately on each machine, managing each machine's holds, not installing something from Testing if it breaks the guinea pig machine, etc). I need to automate this process such that I could add a custom repository with patched software as needed and avoid the machine downloading anything from the official repositories that will break it. That way, say monthly, I can test and upgrade all machines confidently in an automated fashion.

I'm assuming the best way to do this is to set up a partial mirror and apt-pin software package versions, but that doesn't seem like a scalable solution long term. Any thoughts on the best way to approach this?

Thanks,
Rip

stevepusser

Re: Semi-custom Debian distribution - how to best go about i

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Give your patched versions a higher epoch in debian/changelog, so if the normal Debian version is

Code: Select all

foo (1.2.3-1)
make your patched version

Code: Select all

foo (1:1.2.3-1)
"1:" is the epoch. That's what it's meant for, and they'll always be seen as higher than the version with a lower or no epoch.
MX Linux packager and developer

RipNRun

Re: Semi-custom Debian distribution - how to best go about i

#3 Post by RipNRun »

Thanks, stevepusser. That seems straightforward enough. Much appreciated.

Rip