Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

taking plasma 5 for a spin...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
edbarx

Re: taking plasma 5 for a spin...

#1 Post by edbarx »

wizard10000 wrote:my machine (first-generation i7 laptop, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 1GB Nvidia Quadro 1800M)
There you have a machine worthy of petaflops that can simulate a nuclear explosion in real time!
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by sunrat »

I used siduction for several years and love its default Plasma 5. Unfortunately I was without decent internet for a few months to do the regular large updates and switched to MX-15. siduction broke catastrophically when I tried to update it on getting new internet but I will wait for the next release before reinstalling.
wizard10000 wrote:Had almost 2,500 flac files I converted to 320k mp3 and normalized yesterday with soundkonverter
You must have a fruit phone to want to do this. :) I use and recommend Ogg Vorbis at Q7 for transcoding flac for my android devices. Similar quality and much smaller file sizes.
SoundKonverter is extraordinarily useful and best in class IMO. 8)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

#3 Post by 1624 »

I just love Plasma 5. Look and feel is awesome. Faster than KDE 4. Everything works like a charm.

Except i can't mute all system sounds, so i delete that sound directory and now it's nice and quiet.
Debian 11 Bullseye XFCE 64-bit
HP Z230 Workstation

Eireannach

#4 Post by Eireannach »

Tried KDE several times but my PC had only 2gig RAM and it falls over. In any case as I always had lower specified equipment (right back to the VIC20) I am obsessive about cutting overhead back as far as I can ( Mostly XFCE / Window managers like Openbox/i3 etc) . Couldn't get to like the KDE bling and baubles and the K everywhere - I know I'm being ridiKulous :D

No_windows

#5 Post by No_windows »

Eireannach wrote:Tried KDE several times but my PC had only 2gig RAM and it falls over.
I ran Kubuntu as my first Linux distribution on 2gigs, until I couldn't stand the trouble anymore. That was in the Kubuntu 10/11-ish timeframe.
In any case as I always had lower specified equipment (right back to the VIC20)
Hey, I had one of those when I was a kid...... inherited it from my uncle!
I know I'm being ridiKulous :D
The naming everything with a K is actually irritating to me....... I guess it feel forced to me.

cra1g321

#6 Post by cra1g321 »

I like the look and direction plasma5 is going and that it stays true to KDE4.

I tried out when i moved to Debian Sid and found it to be very stable than the first time i tried it with openSUSE leap, the only i ran into was when konsole is closed, the process remains and takes up 25% of my CPU,
i think it only occurs if you use the nvidia non-free driver, I just used mate-terminal instead.

I ended up going back to my tint2 openbox desktop though, i feel i will have a far less bumpy ride using a minimal desktop than using plasma5 on Sid.

I think by the time Stretch becomes the new stable, plasma5 will have matured nicely :)