Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

AQemu Virtual Machine Installatioin

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
oldschool1

Re: AQemu Virtual Machine Installatioin

#16 Post by oldschool1 »

Ralph and Garry,

I got the info regarding risk of installing on hard drive here: http://virt-tools.org/learning/install- ... mand-line/

"File, logical volume or SAN? Storing the disk as a plain host file is the easiest option. As long as you have enough free space, you can put the file anywhere, and move it around later. However file access isn't very fast, so for the best performance you should choose an LVM2 logical volume (LV) or (if you have it) a dedicated LUN on your SAN storage. Using a host partition or host disk directly is not recommended for security reasons."

I assumed because any malware could more easily gain access to your hard drive if the vm were stored there, perhaps wrongly. Since I don't have a SAN, USB stick seemed logical. I am perfectly happy to leave it on my hard drive though if there indeed isn't much risk, and to enable file sharing.

Ralph, I don't have time this second to try your instructions. I will get to it later and report.

Regarding gnome3, can't say I am a big fan, but I was using Ubuntu (was turned off when they started sharing private searches with Amazon without telling anyone) and then Linux Mint, only to discover that Mint embedded flash into the OS or so appeared to me, with a file called mintflash or something like that. I remove all flash off my hard drive as a matter of habit and then install it on a virtual machine for security and privacy reasons. When i removed mintflash, Mint broke... Debian now seems the most secure, private, and supportable Linux distribution to me, and gnome seems most respectful of individual privacy and greeny friendly (again to me), so I can put up with the gnomish behavior, but this might be an argument for another thread.

I very much appreciate your help.

GarryRicketson

#17 Post by GarryRicketson »

Hmm, interesting, I looked at the link as well.
I suppose there is nothing wrong with being extra care full, they don't really go into details
as to why the "security reasons",...
I think that might depend somewhat on exactly what you are doing with the VM,
and especially if the host is a Windows, machine.
I suppose it might be a little bit safer, if one was booting with the USB stick, and running the VM from that. However, a lot of the windows "mal-ware" or "viruses"
still can migrate from a usb stick ,to the HD, But any way I suppose that also is another
topic.

ralph.ronnquist

#18 Post by ralph.ronnquist »

Using a host partition or host disk directly is not recommended for security reasons.
That sentence refers to the idea of using a raw partition or whole disk rather than a file as virtual disk. And while I agree to the sentiment of avoiding it, "security" wouldn't be high on my list of reasons. Except that such a solution almost implies that the VM has to be run as root, which generically would be a security concern.

I would choose a virtual disk file for convenience, and that's fastest on the fastest file system of course. Maybe it'd be faster as an LVM partition (or maybe not), but certainly that'd be less convenient.

Francewhoa

#19 Post by Francewhoa »

Optionally, to automatically mount a 9pfs folder at Guest boot, if your Debian uses systemd, the 9p powered mount will be too fast and likely fail. To resolve this challenge, I suggest adding this line to the "fstab" file. Which is located at "/etc/fstab":

Code: Select all

/<HOST PATH> /<GUEST PATH>/<MOUNT FOLDER>	9p	noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,timeo=14,x-systemd.idle-timeout=0,trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,rw	0	0
Attribution and thanks to Fryderyq for this
- - -
Loving back your Debian community result in multiple benefits for you. https://www.debian.org/intro/help

arzgi

#20 Post by arzgi »

Maybe things are a bit different than 7 years ago :roll:

Francewhoa

#21 Post by Francewhoa »

>Maybe things are a bit different than 7 years ago :roll:

Dear arzgi :) Yes. My comment above implied that at viewtopic.php?p=774915#p774915

ralph.ronnquist 's comment from 2015 was both valuable and valid way back then at viewtopic.php?p=618869#p618869

The challenge is that, as you probably know, starting with Debian 8 in 2015, the new init system is systemd. In other words, the fstab line "/shared /shared 9p trans=virtio 0 2" is likely to fail for many users of new Debian version after 2015. But still need to user old versions. To resolve this challenge, I suggest this resolution in my comment above viewtopic.php?p=774915#p774915

I'm assuming that you are not interested in the above, as you do not need it right now for your recent version of Debian. But other users are definitely interested right now in the above suggested resolution. For example, but not limited to, organizations who offer Debian business upgrade services or business security testing services for all previous versions of Debian. To be able to deliver those services, one of their first question is this: On older Debian version, using QEMU, how do I automatically mount a folder at boot using 9pfs? The answer is now above at viewtopic.php?p=774915#p774915

I agree with you that some users of recent Debian versions, who do not offer such services listed above, are not interested in the above resolution. While at the same time, others are. To each their own present needs.

With invite Debian contributor love ♥
- - -
Loving back your Debian community result in multiple benefits for you. https://www.debian.org/intro/help