Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Opinions on the top command and using it with ps and kill to

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
AKuhlmann

Opinions on the top command and using it with ps and kill to

#1 Post by AKuhlmann »

Hello,

Here is my problem/request. For my Computing Controlled Assessment I need opinions on how to use the top command with the ps and kill commands in order to fix a misbehaing computer system. Please find below the task i have been set so you can better answer the question.

Evaluate the usefulness of the top command and discuss how a computer technician might use it together ps and kill in order to investigate a system that is misbehaving.

GarryRicketson

Re: Opinions on the top command and using it with ps and kil

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

How to use a search engine to do your home work assignment. Or work assignment, whatever.
Here is my problem/request. For my Computing Controlled Assessment I need opinions
how to use the top command with the ps and kill commands Please find below the task i have been set so you can better answer the question.
After you have done some searches , also you can use:

Code: Select all

man top

man ps 

man kill 
And perform some tasks, using the commands, top, ps and kill.
Then you can do your assignment your self, there is no reason any body here
should have to do it for you.
Evaluate the usefulness of the top command and discuss how a computer technician might use it together ps and kill in order to investigate a system that is misbehaving.
Do your own home work or assignments.
How to use a search engine to help me do my homework and work assignment

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Thou shalt not kill -9

:mrgreen:
deadbang

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

AKuhlmann wrote:Please find below the task i have been set so you can better answer the question.
The whole point of this or any other homework assignment is for you to figure out how to solve the problem, not for you to get someone else to spoonfeed you the answer. And at the risk of sounding harsh, this assignment is really very easy, as such things go; if it's got you flummoxed, then you should maybe consider cosmetology school.

edbarx

#5 Post by edbarx »

top and ps will tell you how much system resources are used by individual programs. Knowing which programs are behaving like a hog, you can use kill to put them to sleep (ie kill them).

Now, it is your turn to use your mind to use the above for a solution to your homework. I did more than I should, but I do understand sometimes a student finds themselves confused to the point of needing a hint.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

AKuhlmann

#6 Post by AKuhlmann »

The whole point of this is to get opinions of the general public, not to get away cheaply with homework.
What I am asking for are replies I can quote and use in a citation for 25% of my GCSE

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

No matter, if you would just pay attention ! Learn how to use the search engine.

This yields over 8 pages of results,

Opinions on the top command
In each one of the articles the authors share their opinions as well, and you can
quote any part of them you want.
Some you do not even have to follow the link, for example this one says:
Understanding the Top command on Linux | Linuxaria
https://linuxaria.com/howto/understanding-the-top-com... Proxy Highlight
28 Aug 2012 ... ... is in my opinion the basis to use and optimize your OS. On ArchLinux or better on GNU/Linux in general the top command can help us, this is ...
That is just one of many, like I said over 8 pages.
I amazes me that the schools and teachers are not even teaching the students
enough basic Internet / computer skills , to be able to do a simple search, and
get data and information on the subjects they are studying.
It really is pathetic, all of the students know how to "play online games", use twitter,and face book, but have no clue as to how to do a simple search.

Have fun !