Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian in the beginning of Mr. Robot's S2 premiere!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

PhilGil

Re: Debian in the beginning of Mr. Robot's S2 premiere!

#2 Post by PhilGil »

In season one, Elliot used Kali, which is Debian-based and appropriate for hacking/penetration testing. This could be Kali, also. The creators of Mr. Robot have earned praise in tech circles for taking care to get the tech right (unlike most TV shows and movies).

ant

#3 Post by ant »

PhilGil wrote:In season one, Elliot used Kali, which is Debian-based and appropriate for hacking/penetration testing. This could be Kali, also. The creators of Mr. Robot have earned praise in tech circles for taking care to get the tech right (unlike most TV shows and movies).
Wait, was S2E1 on Kali too? Or is that a pure Debian system?

PhilGil

#4 Post by PhilGil »

ant wrote:
PhilGil wrote:In season one, Elliot used Kali, which is Debian-based and appropriate for hacking/penetration testing. This could be Kali, also. The creators of Mr. Robot have earned praise in tech circles for taking care to get the tech right (unlike most TV shows and movies).
I haven't started watching season two yet, but I don't think there's any way to know from that screenshot whether it's Debian or Kali.

ant

#5 Post by ant »

PhilGil wrote:
ant wrote:
I haven't started watching season two yet, but I don't think there's any way to know from that screenshot whether it's Debian or Kali.
Ah OK. So Kali still shows Debian name in text mode.

PhilGil

#6 Post by PhilGil »

ant wrote:Ah OK. So Kali still shows Debian name in text mode.
Haven't used Kali so don't know if that's the case. It's not unusual, however, for derivative distros to leave that kind of language in place.

The reason I brought it up was because I saw Kali being used in season one and I thought it showed exceptional attention to detail that Elliott was not only using Linux, but he was using a distro that would have been appropriate for his task.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

That's the welcome banner from the Debian server he has just ssh'd into.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

ant

#8 Post by ant »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
That's the welcome banner from the Debian server he has just ssh'd into.
Yeah, and tsk tsk for root parts.