Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Poll] What is your favorite Web Browser?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What is your favorite Web Browser?

Poll ended at 2017-07-18 18:53

Chrome
12%
Chromium
12%
Epiphany
1%
Firefox
53%
Konqueror
No votes
Midori
No votes
Opera
3%
Qupzilla
1%
SeaMonkey
4%
Other - Please comment
14%

Total votes: 101

JLloyd13

Re: [Poll] What is your favorite Web Browser?

#31 Post by JLloyd13 »

stevepusser wrote:Here's a new minimalist browser called "Min":
The Min browser, short for ‘minimal’, is a streamlined web browser built on the Electron framework (no groaning at the back). Written entirely with CSS and JavaScript, the app is fully open-source.

It describes itself as “a smarter, faster web browser”.
I tried their 64-bit deb, and it installs and run in Jessie, and even played HTML5 Youtube video.
I saw that on omgubuntu. Very interesting... it's electron/chromium based, should be fast...

Trying it now. Definitely not as full featured but very fast and much lighter than Chrome or Firefox.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

swirler

#32 Post by swirler »

edbarx wrote:My favourite would be a browser that uses system resources efficiently, doesn't interfere with what I do, works on older hardware, is responsive, is not designed like a magnet for advertisements, and finally and is intelligently designed to render pages legibly when script is disabled.
That, every group of developers worth something could do: the real trick is to instead put together a browser that is (ever increasingly) nothing like that and then force-feed it to end users as something that "adds value" , "promotes personalized content" , "enhances your browsing experience" and so on - whatever that may mean.
Usually, which I'm sure is no surprise to you, that is corporate lingo for "spying on you" - relentlessly.

The usual excuse would be that the "web is changing", which is kinda backwards as they are indeed trying to change it into a global spying/advertisement operation with an eye on the so called "internet of things", which I'm not sure a browser should have anything to do with.

Bulkley

#33 Post by Bulkley »

The Min browser, short for ‘minimal’, is a streamlined web browser built on the Electron framework (no groaning at the back). Written entirely with CSS and JavaScript, the app is fully open-source.

I tried their 64-bit deb, and it installs and run in Jessie, and even played HTML5 Youtube video.
I'm typing from Min now. It is fast but could sure use some basic features such as the ability to set minimum font size. Maybe it has it but I haven't found it yet. When I logged in to Debian User Forums Min warned me that this site might steal my password. That could get rather boring. Anyway, it is fun to play with and easier to use than some other basic browsers. Thanks for posting about it.

Nili

#34 Post by Nili »

Pale Moon
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

JLloyd13

#35 Post by JLloyd13 »

Bulkley wrote:

I'm typing from Min now. It is fast but could sure use some basic features such as the ability to set minimum font size. Maybe it has it but I haven't found it yet. When I logged in to Debian User Forums Min warned me that this site might steal my password. That could get rather boring. Anyway, it is fun to play with and easier to use than some other basic browsers. Thanks for posting about it.
I'm currently typing from Min now as well. I have two biggest gripes: can't hide the menu bar (I've opened an issue on the github page for that, had some people agree with me, but no word from the dev yet- I get the feeling the dev is primarily concerned with MacOS) and the open in new tab doesn't open the new tab in the background like in chrome or firefox, but moves you to the new tab. Very annoying. It is very fast though, I haven't done any measurements so it's entirely subjective but I find it faster than both chrome/(ium) and firefox.

Also, well I'm using min at the current moment I've recently just switched from chromium (which I voted for in the poll) to firefox. It's definitely much slower to start up, which chromium ready to get in like 1-2 seconds and firefox taking almost 10 full seconds to fully load (to be fair, I have a ton of addons, but mostly the same as chrome). This is very annoying as I have an SSD and was used to chromium and kind of expect things to open immediately now. BUT, once it's opened, it's just as fast. The actual reason I've switched though it very noticeably uses less battery life than chrome, and it easily increased my battery from 4-5 hours to more like 5-6. That alone makes it worth to switch, I just need to remember not to actually close firefox and just minmize it or someday I'm going to throw the computer out the window waiting. Debian itself boots almost as fast as firefox.

GarryRicketson

#36 Post by GarryRicketson »

My favorite was not listed
Lynx, also maybe the oldest,

JLloyd13

#37 Post by JLloyd13 »

GarryRicketson wrote:My favorite was not listed
Lynx, also maybe the oldest,
If we're talking text-based I'd vote for elinks

GarryRicketson

#38 Post by GarryRicketson »

Thanks, I am going to try it and see, I have never tried that one.

JLloyd13

#39 Post by JLloyd13 »

GarryRicketson wrote:Thanks, I am going to try it and see, I have never tried that one.
It's a lynx fork I believe, so pretty similar, but I've had problems with text formatting on lynx, never on elinks.

tomazzi

#40 Post by tomazzi »

Voted nothing.

I've recently discovered that Firefox ESR v45 (wheezy), which was adopted by Debian is simply a spyware - not much different from Chrome.
Geo-location works even if You will disable it.
Lots of hidden services, which are causing relatively high CPU usage and memory consumption.

Possible solution (other than just removing the Firefox package):

1. Enter the about:config
2. search for "https"
3. replace all the links with spaces (You can exclude some addresses related to health reporting, updates, phishing addresses reporting, etc)

After I've removed all that crap, the memory usage dropped from 300MB to 195MB (single page opened - Debian Forums), and the CPU load have dropped from around 7-10% to 1-2%. Now the Firefox starts in 0.x seconds (it needed about 3-5 seconds with the default configuration)
All the standard tweaks applied.

Regards.

edit:
If You're using the NoScript add-on (which is really great), search for "wanIpCheckURL" ;) and replace it with a space...
Odi profanum vulgus

L_V

#41 Post by L_V »

tomazzi wrote:I've recently discovered that Firefox ESR v45 (wheezy), which is simply a spyware
Possible solution .../....
Or try Palemoon which is surpringly not in the voting list.

tomazzi

#42 Post by tomazzi »

L_V wrote:Or try Palemoon which is surpringly not in the voting list.
Thanks.
I've heard about the PaleMoon in the past, but until now I haven't tried it. Until now .... :)
I'm writing this from PaleMoon v26.4.0_amd64 (Wheezy).

Many thanks to stevepusser for maintaining the repository for Wheezy - really, it saved me a lot of work needed to compile it from source.

Voted "other", now the comment:

Memory usage: typically ~25-70% less than Firefox (depending on how many tabs are opened, PM needs ~150MB for the start page)
CPU load: ~the same (after I've removed service links from FF)

Tests:
Acid3: FF: regression: 99/100, PaleMoon: 100/100 (really, the gecko engine is so mature, that this shouldn't happen...)
All other (html5) tests: FF gets better results, but actually works slower than PM: f.e.:
the Peacekeeper gives 2989 points to FF and only 2550 to PM - *but* all the test are working visually better/smoother in PaleMoon and the Goanna engine splits the workload better for all the CPU cores, while Gecko usually executes everything on a single core.

Single problem: Palemoon does not support h264 codec. I can live with this...

But: no links to google and mozilla spying services ;)

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

emariz

#43 Post by emariz »

I have been using Firefox since 2003-04. Oddly enough, and according to the release history (1), I used Firebird back then.
I do remember that Qute was the default theme (2), for I kept using it long after it had been replaced.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_release_history
2. https://arvidaxelsson.se/themes/qute/

finnish_nemi

#44 Post by finnish_nemi »

https://vivaldi.com is what i am using now. It`s pretty good I think. :wink:

woteb

#45 Post by woteb »

Other. I use Palemoon. Blazing fast.
Laptops: HP 250 G6 i3 7th gen + Lenovo: Debian Testing XFCE
HP based chromebooks: Debian Testing and other variations
"The simple reality of the matter is that Debian is essentially the backbone of Linux - for all practical purposes."

stevepusser

#46 Post by stevepusser »

The Pale Moon 26.4.0 in my OBS repo still uses gstreamer1.0 after the 26.4.0.1 static binaries from PM reverted to 0.10, because of crashes in other distros with other versions of 1.0. I can get x.264 support in 26.4.0 by adding the various gstreamer1.0 good, bad, and ugly plugin packages, plus gstreamer1.0-libav. I don't think there's a config tweak necessary to enable the playback.
MX Linux packager and developer

tomazzi

#47 Post by tomazzi »

finnish_nemi wrote:https://vivaldi.com is what i am using now. It`s pretty good I think. :wink:
Please, You have registered Your account in 2014 and this is Your first post? (#1)
I think that You should already know that *closed source* solutions aren't working today...
I don't care about what happened in the Opera team - this is not my business. I know that they have/had good programmers, but this is a post-Snowden era: with closed sources, You can try the winblows forums ... and I whish You luck.

@ stevepusser:
again, thanks a lot for that repository.
I know that there's a problem with gstreamer, but I've mentioned this as a joke/hint - for people who are reading this and who absolutely need h264 codec ;)

Best regards :)
Odi profanum vulgus

MALsPa

#48 Post by MALsPa »

tomazzi wrote:
finnish_nemi wrote:https://vivaldi.com is what i am using now. It`s pretty good I think. :wink:
I think that You should already know that *closed source* solutions aren't working today...
Aren't working? Not sure about that; a lot of people use Google Chrome in Linux, and from what I understand, both Chrome and Vivaldi use code from Chromium but also use proprietary code, seems like sorta along the same lines.

Well, I tried Vivaldi and liked it a lot, came away impressed. But then I un-installed it. Because it isn't open source. Lol. But for anyone whose only concern is that the software is "freeware" I'd say Vivaldi is definitely worth a look. Very nice web browser, IMO.

JLloyd13

#49 Post by JLloyd13 »

MALsPa wrote:
tomazzi wrote:
Aren't working? Not sure about that; a lot of people use Google Chrome in Linux, and from what I understand, both Chrome and Vivaldi use code from Chromium but also use proprietary code, seems like sorta along the same lines.

Well, I tried Vivaldi and liked it a lot, came away impressed. But then I un-installed it. Because it isn't open source. Lol. But for anyone whose only concern is that the software is "freeware" I'd say Vivaldi is definitely worth a look. Very nice web browser, IMO.
Chrome is basically just Chromium + pepperflash + pdf reader, Vivaldi takes the initial source in a much further direction. Neither Chrome or Vivaldi is particularly safe to use from a security/surveillance perspective though.

Crewp

#50 Post by Crewp »

Palemoon, very good.