Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Poll] What is your favorite Web Browser?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What is your favorite Web Browser?

Poll ended at 2017-07-18 18:53

Chrome
12%
Chromium
12%
Epiphany
1%
Firefox
53%
Konqueror
No votes
Midori
No votes
Opera
3%
Qupzilla
1%
SeaMonkey
4%
Other - Please comment
14%

Total votes: 101

stevepusser

Re: [Poll] What is your favorite Web Browser?

#46 Post by stevepusser »

The Pale Moon 26.4.0 in my OBS repo still uses gstreamer1.0 after the 26.4.0.1 static binaries from PM reverted to 0.10, because of crashes in other distros with other versions of 1.0. I can get x.264 support in 26.4.0 by adding the various gstreamer1.0 good, bad, and ugly plugin packages, plus gstreamer1.0-libav. I don't think there's a config tweak necessary to enable the playback.
MX Linux packager and developer

tomazzi

#47 Post by tomazzi »

finnish_nemi wrote:https://vivaldi.com is what i am using now. It`s pretty good I think. :wink:
Please, You have registered Your account in 2014 and this is Your first post? (#1)
I think that You should already know that *closed source* solutions aren't working today...
I don't care about what happened in the Opera team - this is not my business. I know that they have/had good programmers, but this is a post-Snowden era: with closed sources, You can try the winblows forums ... and I whish You luck.

@ stevepusser:
again, thanks a lot for that repository.
I know that there's a problem with gstreamer, but I've mentioned this as a joke/hint - for people who are reading this and who absolutely need h264 codec ;)

Best regards :)
Odi profanum vulgus

MALsPa

#48 Post by MALsPa »

tomazzi wrote:
finnish_nemi wrote:https://vivaldi.com is what i am using now. It`s pretty good I think. :wink:
I think that You should already know that *closed source* solutions aren't working today...
Aren't working? Not sure about that; a lot of people use Google Chrome in Linux, and from what I understand, both Chrome and Vivaldi use code from Chromium but also use proprietary code, seems like sorta along the same lines.

Well, I tried Vivaldi and liked it a lot, came away impressed. But then I un-installed it. Because it isn't open source. Lol. But for anyone whose only concern is that the software is "freeware" I'd say Vivaldi is definitely worth a look. Very nice web browser, IMO.

JLloyd13

#49 Post by JLloyd13 »

MALsPa wrote:
tomazzi wrote:
Aren't working? Not sure about that; a lot of people use Google Chrome in Linux, and from what I understand, both Chrome and Vivaldi use code from Chromium but also use proprietary code, seems like sorta along the same lines.

Well, I tried Vivaldi and liked it a lot, came away impressed. But then I un-installed it. Because it isn't open source. Lol. But for anyone whose only concern is that the software is "freeware" I'd say Vivaldi is definitely worth a look. Very nice web browser, IMO.
Chrome is basically just Chromium + pepperflash + pdf reader, Vivaldi takes the initial source in a much further direction. Neither Chrome or Vivaldi is particularly safe to use from a security/surveillance perspective though.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

Crewp

#50 Post by Crewp »

Palemoon, very good.

dust hill resident

#51 Post by dust hill resident »

I use Seamonkey these days. I used to use firefox (iceweasel as it was called in debian until recently) but they kept making loads of really annoying changes to the user interface, and I eventually had enough.

I've been a mozilla user since late 2002 (Netscape 7 until 2004, Firefox from then until last year) so I feel right at home in Seamonkey.

edbarx

#52 Post by edbarx »

Regrettably, I am now using Firefox. Yes, it is bloated like a pig ready for the slaughter house, but many websites mandate the use of Javascipt, otherwise almost nothing appears. Using Palemoon I was having severe latency problems editing text in Facebook. Some may scold me for using it, but I can only get a glimpse of my nephews and nieces through it.

Lately, I am having problems using my T4400 based computer to the extent that I am considering to buy a more recent one. As already said, many sites these days are very aggressive to require Javascript. It seems the days when internet browsing was not badly affected without Javascript are over.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

GarryRicketson

#53 Post by GarryRicketson »

by JLloyd13 »http://forums.debian.net/posting.php?mo ... 6#pr623651 Chrome is basically just Chromium + pepperflash + pdf reader, Vivaldi takes the initial source in a much further direction. Neither Chrome or Vivaldi is particularly safe to use from a security/surveillance perspective though.
I just stumbled on to this just now :
https://www.debian.org/security/2016/dsa-3660

pylkko

#54 Post by pylkko »

what I am about to say is really obvious, and I am not pretending that it is something really novel or a solution, but in case some one has not noticed, many sites also allow you to access them through lighter versions that are primarily designed for mobile devices (like m.facebook.com). You can reach these pages even with a browser where the user agent does not report "mobile" to the page by adding the m in front of the url. Often, but not always these "mobile" versions of such heavy pages are significantly stripped of javascript bloat.

TonyVanDam

#55 Post by TonyVanDam »

1. Firefox
2. Palemoon
3. Tor Browser Bundle
4. Dillo
Last edited by TonyVanDam on 2016-09-15 06:50, edited 1 time in total.

TonyVanDam

#56 Post by TonyVanDam »

edbarx wrote:Regrettably, I am now using Firefox. Yes, it is bloated like a pig ready for the slaughter house, but many websites mandate the use of Javascipt, otherwise almost nothing appears. Using Palemoon I was having severe latency problems editing text in Facebook. Some may scold me for using it, but I can only get a glimpse of my nephews and nieces through it.

Lately, I am having problems using my T4400 based computer to the extent that I am considering to buy a more recent one. As already said, many sites these days are very aggressive to require Javascript. It seems the days when internet browsing was not badly affected without Javascript are over.
NoScript, uMartix, uBlock Origin, & Privacy Settings are your friends. :wink:

debiman

#57 Post by debiman »

back to palemoon, after being disappointed by firefox again.

works a treat on both my archlinux install and antiX, not sure about debian stable?

all my usual addons work - either the original addon is compatible, or there's a replacement, or a workaround listed.

simen

#58 Post by simen »

Epiphany, actually. I like that it's very bare-bones, slim and quick, and I love the bookmark system (haven't found anything like it elsewhere). I keep Firefox and Chrome installed for corner cases, but Epiphany has definitely come out of the hole where it resided a few years ago. I guess I'll have to check out palemoon, though, after skimming this thread.

--Simen

montagdude

#59 Post by montagdude »

I'm also using Pale Moon. I like it because it's lighter than Firefox and the Vimperator add-on works flawlessly. Honestly, that's the main thing that is keeping me in the Firefox/clone world. For a Qt-based browser, Qupzilla is a really good choice, except for not having something like Vimperator as far as I know.

MALsPa

#60 Post by MALsPa »

I voted Chromium, but I've switched to using Pale Moon since reading comments in this thread and elsewhere.

ruffwoof

#61 Post by ruffwoof »

1 Firefox
2 Chromium (BBC web site videos (pepperflash) as I don't like having flash installed)

3. QtWeb - stand alone 12MB

debiman

#62 Post by debiman »

ruffwoof wrote:3. QtWeb - stand alone 12MB
omg! a .zip, that runs by itslef (in other words, a portable browser for linux)!
is it safe?

stevepusser

#63 Post by stevepusser »

debiman wrote:
ruffwoof wrote:3. QtWeb - stand alone 12MB
omg! a .zip, that runs by itslef (in other words, a portable browser for linux)!
is it safe?
Ummmm---you mean like Firefox or Pale Moon can come in an archive file and can be run portably from the extracted folder? Or the "hot" new Electron or Appimage browser ones (see Min)?

QtWeb is as safe as any browser that hasn't had any security fixes in at least a couple years. :roll:
MX Linux packager and developer

Innovate

#64 Post by Innovate »

Qtweb 3.8.5 I've in my collection since XP-W10 till move to Linux.
It's nothing new for me.
I was amazed with built-in torrent downloader though

rickman

#65 Post by rickman »

Rildebai wrote:Hi.

What is your favorite web browser.

Mine is Firefox. :mrgreen:

I also use Firefox, more precisely I use Ice dragon from Comodo https://icedragon.comodo.com
The quieter you become, the more you can hear