Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Poll] What is your favorite Web Browser?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What is your favorite Web Browser?

Poll ended at 2017-07-18 18:53

Chrome
12%
Chromium
12%
Epiphany
1%
Firefox
53%
Konqueror
No votes
Midori
No votes
Opera
3%
Qupzilla
1%
SeaMonkey
4%
Other - Please comment
14%

Total votes: 101

Rildebai

Re: [Poll] What is your favorite Web Browser?

#16 Post by Rildebai »

chrissywissy wrote:Chromium, because it is reasonably fast and syncs well across all my devices.
Hi Chrissy. Chromium would easily be my 2nd favorite. :)
Write programs that do one thing and do it well. ~ Doug Mcllroy on the UNIX Philosophy

edbarx

#17 Post by edbarx »

My favourite would be a browser that uses system resources efficiently, doesn't interfere with what I do, works on older hardware, is responsive, is not designed like a magnet for advertisements, and finally and is intelligently designed to render pages legibly when script is disabled.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

militarymaid

#18 Post by militarymaid »

So far firefox has proven to be quite useful and rarely presents issues though chromium is faster (even though it is a battery drainer) and I like the idea of linking my email account to the browser itself is atractive.

tuxserbia

[Poll] What is your favorite Web Browser?

#19 Post by tuxserbia »

edbarx wrote:My favourite would be a browser that uses system resources efficiently, doesn't interfere with what I do, works on older hardware, is responsive, is not designed like a magnet for advertisements, and finally and is intelligently designed to render pages legibly when script is disabled.
But, fairy tales are on a second floor ;-)

Only FF. Till last year had also a chromium for checking gmail, but this task is better isolated with an old ginger droid.

bw123

#20 Post by bw123 »

I have to admit Firefox-esr is growing on me, after I calmed down and figured out a few things.

What I like:
Pin Tabs
Dbl Click Star Bookmark Options
Bookmark Tags
Add to Searchbar Options
Good Customizizzation

Downside:
Too Much Crap(TMC) like pocket,sync,share.. they should be addons
Preferences is clunky, stripped out too many options, no 'save' button is confusing
about:config is worse than windows registry, needs subsections, tooltips to what each setting does
Search for text when I start typing needs a hotkey listed on the find results
Bookmarks Library is still clunky like the old Netscape/IceApe, selective import from html would be nice
I now have six themes to choose from, but only two toolbars, no statusbar, wtf?

Good/Bad:
Page Permissions are good, but no option to allow javascript per site?
Last edited by bw123 on 2016-07-22 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Post by sunrat »

bw123 wrote:I now have six themes to choose from, but only two toolbars, no statusbar, wtf?
Statusbar is one of the first things I put back in a new install.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... us-4-evar/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

edbarx

#22 Post by edbarx »

You are right, it is now a fairytale. However, there were times, two or three years ago, when this was reality. :wink:
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

chrissywissy

#23 Post by chrissywissy »

I also occasionally use Firefox, but it sometimes seems slower and isn't available to sync on all my devices - iOS, BB10 etc

day

#24 Post by day »

edbarx wrote:
You are right, it is now a fairytale. However, there were times, two or three years ago, when this was reality. :wink:
Pale Moon. It is a forked firefox 25.0, with updates + more.

stevepusser

#25 Post by stevepusser »

I had never heard of Maxthon, though it seems they have 32 and 64-bit deb packages, but certainly won't test it after this revelation.

It's probably no worse than a Microsoft browser, though.

I'm mostly using the Slimjet variant of Chromium, because of its default included goodies, but Firefox comes in a close second.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2016-07-22 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

cpoakes

#26 Post by cpoakes »

wizard10000 wrote:I prefer chromium as devs seem to take Linux seriously...
Debatable as they don't take Debian Stable seriously. In wheezy, chromium hit end-of-life/no security support in January 2015 months before jessie went stable. You either had to move from stable (wheezy) to testing (jessie) before it was ready; download and use Google's version of Chrome; or move to another browser.

With wheezy at EOL April 2016, those of us who 1) only use stable, and 2) use the year overlap between stable and oldstable to transition systems were hung out to dry.

So Firefox it is.

KBD47

#27 Post by KBD47 »

cpoakes wrote:
Debatable as they don't take Debian Stable seriously. In wheezy, chromium hit end-of-life/no security support in January 2015 months before jessie went stable. You either had to move from stable (wheezy) to testing (jessie) before it was ready; download and use Google's version of Chrome; or move to another browser.

With wheezy at EOL April 2016, those of us who 1) only use stable, and 2) use the year overlap between stable and oldstable to transition systems were hung out to dry.

So Firefox it is.

That is useful info. And it makes a strong case for staying with Firefox if one uses Stable.

Innovate

#28 Post by Innovate »

Slimjet
I've throw away download manager softwares away because of turbocharged download manager is damn fast enough.

Rildebai

#29 Post by Rildebai »

cpoakes wrote:

So Firefox it is.
Hi cpoakes.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Jessie. :o
Write programs that do one thing and do it well. ~ Doug Mcllroy on the UNIX Philosophy

stevepusser

#30 Post by stevepusser »

Here's a new minimalist browser called "Min":
The Min browser, short for ‘minimal’, is a streamlined web browser built on the Electron framework (no groaning at the back). Written entirely with CSS and JavaScript, the app is fully open-source.

It describes itself as “a smarter, faster web browser”.
I tried their 64-bit deb, and it installs and run in Jessie, and even played HTML5 Youtube video.
MX Linux packager and developer

JLloyd13

#31 Post by JLloyd13 »

stevepusser wrote:Here's a new minimalist browser called "Min":
The Min browser, short for ‘minimal’, is a streamlined web browser built on the Electron framework (no groaning at the back). Written entirely with CSS and JavaScript, the app is fully open-source.

I tried their 64-bit deb, and it installs and run in Jessie, and even played HTML5 Youtube video.
I saw that on omgubuntu. Very interesting... it's electron/chromium based, should be fast...

Trying it now. Definitely not as full featured but very fast and much lighter than Chrome or Firefox.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

swirler

#32 Post by swirler »

edbarx wrote:My favourite would be a browser that uses system resources efficiently, doesn't interfere with what I do, works on older hardware, is responsive, is not designed like a magnet for advertisements, and finally and is intelligently designed to render pages legibly when script is disabled.
That, every group of developers worth something could do: the real trick is to instead put together a browser that is (ever increasingly) nothing like that and then force-feed it to end users as something that "adds value" , "promotes personalized content" , "enhances your browsing experience" and so on - whatever that may mean.
Usually, which I'm sure is no surprise to you, that is corporate lingo for "spying on you" - relentlessly.

The usual excuse would be that the "web is changing", which is kinda backwards as they are indeed trying to change it into a global spying/advertisement operation with an eye on the so called "internet of things", which I'm not sure a browser should have anything to do with.

Bulkley

#33 Post by Bulkley »

I'm typing from Min now. It is fast but could sure use some basic features such as the ability to set minimum font size. Maybe it has it but I haven't found it yet. When I logged in to Debian User Forums Min warned me that this site might steal my password. That could get rather boring. Anyway, it is fun to play with and easier to use than some other basic browsers. Thanks for posting about it.

Nili

#34 Post by Nili »

Pale Moon
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

JLloyd13

#35 Post by JLloyd13 »

Bulkley wrote:

I'm typing from Min now. It is fast but could sure use some basic features such as the ability to set minimum font size. Maybe it has it but I haven't found it yet. When I logged in to Debian User Forums Min warned me that this site might steal my password. That could get rather boring. Anyway, it is fun to play with and easier to use than some other basic browsers. Thanks for posting about it.
I'm currently typing from Min now as well. I have two biggest gripes: can't hide the menu bar (I've opened an issue on the github page for that, had some people agree with me, but no word from the dev yet- I get the feeling the dev is primarily concerned with MacOS) and the open in new tab doesn't open the new tab in the background like in chrome or firefox, but moves you to the new tab. Very annoying. It is very fast though, I haven't done any measurements so it's entirely subjective but I find it faster than both chrome/(ium) and firefox.

Also, well I'm using min at the current moment I've recently just switched from chromium (which I voted for in the poll) to firefox. It's definitely much slower to start up, which chromium ready to get in like 1-2 seconds and firefox taking almost 10 full seconds to fully load (to be fair, I have a ton of addons, but mostly the same as chrome). This is very annoying as I have an SSD and was used to chromium and kind of expect things to open immediately now. BUT, once it's opened, it's just as fast. The actual reason I've switched though it very noticeably uses less battery life than chrome, and it easily increased my battery from 4-5 hours to more like 5-6. That alone makes it worth to switch, I just need to remember not to actually close firefox and just minmize it or someday I'm going to throw the computer out the window waiting. Debian itself boots almost as fast as firefox.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.