Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian GNU/Linux or CentOS for E-Mail Archiving with Piler?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
/tmp

Debian GNU/Linux or CentOS for E-Mail Archiving with Piler?

#1 Post by /tmp »

I have a boss at my new job that loves Free Software (specifically "Open Source") and wants to run CentOS for use as a mailpiler e-mail archiving server due to the growing number of users at our company (+900 across several states). I am a Debian GNU/Linux man and have much more experience with this system; however, I'm game to learning something new if it helps me with my job (and isn't Microsoft based, to boot!)

We absolutely need reliability and scalability, with an emphasis on Logical Volume Management. What with all of the shenanigans going on with systemd is it worth going to CentOS? Or is that just out of the frying and into the fire due to Red Hat?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

dasein

Re: Debian GNU/Linux or CentOS for E-Mail Archiving with Pil

#2 Post by dasein »

Questions of systemd aside, a casual perusal of their docs suggests that piler can run on Debian. There's a hint that there might be a bit more work involved in initial setup, but nothing that couldn't be resolved. The extra setup costs would have to be balanced against whatever learning curve would be required to install/administer RHEL/clone.

(Again, just a quick perusal, so no warranty, express or implied).

/tmp

Re: Debian GNU/Linux or CentOS for E-Mail Archiving with Pil

#3 Post by /tmp »

dasein wrote:Questions of systemd aside, a casual perusal of their docs suggests that piler can run on Debian. There's a hint that there might be a bit more work involved in initial setup, but nothing that couldn't be resolved. The extra setup costs would have to be balanced against whatever learning curve would be required to install/administer RHEL/clone.

(Again, just a quick perusal, so no warranty, express or implied).
He mentioned I may be able to get access to an older (~4 years) Dell Enterprise server that we could get working again. I'll see if I can get a live version of Debian GNU/Linux running on it. Would it be advisable to install backports so I can get an updated version of mailsphinx?
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics